Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

Hi , My family and I (husband, 10 year old boy & 9 year old girl) will be moving to Oahu in the next few months. I was hoping you could help me by explaining your experience on raising school aged children in Oahu. I would like my kids to transition as smoothly as possible into their new home/lives and am hoping to get some information on good schools, family friendly neighborhoods, sports & activities, arts programs or any other suggestions or information on moving a family to Oahu.

Any information, suggestions, opinions (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
I think the question is a little too opened ended for folks to know how to reply. Personally, I've not raised kids on Oahu so can't directly help you on the kid issue.

For anyone to transition smoothly to Hawaii, a lot of it is about attitude. Accept what you see and don't try to change it to what it was like where ever you came from on the mainland. Don't boast about yourself, what is considered "pride" on the mainland is seen as hubris here and is socially unaccepted. Although the unaccepted will usually be a cold shoulder and not in your face about it. Humble is good.

All the schools except the private ones are through the state's Department of Education. The islands are set up so each island is a County or in the case of Maui/Lanai/Molokai all of them are one County. That's as small as the political units get, there's no incorporated towns or townships or anything below the County level. So, the state does the school system.

Considering how absolutely horrendous the traffic is on Oahu, you should be basing things as close to where ever it is you have to go on a daily basis. If there's employment involved, try to find housing as close to that as possible. Once folks have an idea of where the employment will be based, then they can chime in with reasonable options for housing and such.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 AM

6 posts, read 5,282 times
Hi,

Thank you hotzcatz.

We have visited Hawaii and have my sister on Oahu so I completely understand where you are coming from as far as "attitude". Luckily , we are pretty humble , blue color folk . The humility and peace of the Hawaiian people is something I have always admired and identified with ( Very different from Miami ) .

We are looking into Waikiki Elementary and have done some research on the feeder pattern of that school, Kaimuki Middle & Kalani High and feel that all 3 schools are excellent. We are looking for housing based on the school ( so that would be Kapahulu, Diamond Head area ) I would love to know more about those neighborhoods in particular.

Since both my husband and I have to work full time I was hoping someone could give me some information of afterschool care & programs in the area. My son is currently a cub scout (Webelo) and my daughter does gymnastics at our local athletic club. I would like for them to continue to do the things they love.

Thank you !!

Mo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu