Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:32 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - as a landlord I'm not renting to 3 guys in a luxury high-end condo, and finding 3 guys who can afford $3K just to be roommates with each other is a tall order. If you are going to spend $3K - you can decent place by yourself.
Agreed. Did the "roommate" thing once a few years back; never again. I know people that make the numbers work in their favor but these are generally SFHs... and it's a real PITA. I have a friend that's paying $1,500/mo for one bed and a shared bathroom in an average condition 4 bdrm house in Kaimuki - ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I think that One Ala Moana comp you showed is just above the amenity deck altho I think there aren't many floors above it. It also is almost three blocks away from Ala Moana Blvd looking over the mall and parking lot. It also has 1 bd mix and units on the Mauka side (Kapiolani Blvd, uck) Vida has two bd minimum, all ocean view and I think superior floor plans. I really like how each elevator opens only to two apts per floor to each's private foyer. One Ala Moana seems so usual. Vida at 888 Ala Moana | Condos for Sale in Honolulu

What happens when they build on the mall Mauka parking lot? The views are already obstructed by YHT.
I'll admit that I'm in love with the Vida website. Made me think I should be in line last nite. Of all the towers going up there will only be a few that will realize the developers dream. I think anything that does not have a protected view will suffer.

$4.00 sf rents? Do you think that's demand limited or just a perception of value?
One Ala Moana is going to lose their views to the new tower planned above Macy's. I never saw the appeal of living in a mall... but I guess there are people that prefer that.

$4/SF rents are easily achievable in smaller units in non-luxury buildings (for example, a 300 SF studio w/parking and W/D in unit in a decent building can rent for $1,300 - easy). Generally speaking, larger units will command a lower per SF cost. Rents are already approaching $3.50/SF in "upper-middle end" buildings like Keola Lai (1,000 SF 2bdrms); I can only imagine the super high end will go for more.

Rents have definitely gone up more than I expected. I wonder if this trend will continue or if rents will start tapering off.

How are rents in Windward and West Oahu?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

How are rents in Windward
I'll speak to Kailua -

$3,000 is generally the floor for 1,400 sq ft and rapidly goes up from there depending on location and place.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:05 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,879,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - as a landlord I'm not renting to 3 guys in a luxury high-end condo, and finding 3 guys who can afford $3K just to be roommates with each other is a tall order. If you are going to spend $3K - you can decent place by yourself.
I would have no problem renting to two professional renters that can afford $3,500 a month each. But maybe I'm relying on SF experience where cohousing is pretty common. There are even SF companies that buy higher end homes and rent rooms to professionals.

Most of these people work long hours and the homes are closer to their work than what they could find for one third to one fourth of what they could afford. These are not party houses and there is usually a person in charge for reduced rent that reports any problems to the owner.

The difference between two $3,500 rentals and one $7,000 rental should be pretty dramatic. I could see choosing this type of living for short term arrangement.

Is there any news on the sales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu