Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroark View Post
Anyway, do you think IT Infrastructure type of job can be found in Honolulu? I've quickly looked at Indeed and found only a handful of listing.
IT Infrastructure is getting harder and harder to find jobs in Hawaii. Unfortunately, it is going to continue to trend that direction. So many companies nowadays have either outsourced IT off island especially IT infrastructure components. Banks, government, utilities, insurers like HMSA are places to start a search - even the large managed hosting provider in Hawaii, DRFortress is another area to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
What are you even talking about at this point? Who is getting too little sun? You are citing studies of northern Europe in a Hawaii forum. I'm talking about repeated exposure to extreme uv indexes. It is like talking to a brick wall. Nobody is going to get too little sunlight in Hawaii. Forget it already you are just being obtuse on purpose. All the info is there for active that cares to read it
Nobody is saying to lay naked on the beach 8 hours a day.

Your specific advice of avoiding the Hawaii sun ALTOGETHER between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., 6 months out of the year is patently absurd.

Your posts are fear mongering at its finest.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Nobody is saying to lay naked on the beach 8 hours a day.

Your specific advice of avoiding the Hawaii sun ALTOGETHER between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., 6 months out of the year is patently absurd.

Your posts are fear mongering at its finest.
The world health organizations advice, not mine. Get it straight at least once. If you wanna say the WHO is fear mongering then take it up with them.

I avoid it because it is hot and uncomfortable and I advise others to do what they think is best for themselves. Go read the posts I've been nothing but consistent. I can get plenty of sun during other hours of the day or just walking from building to building. I don't need to bake to get the benefits. My blood pressure is great and I have sufficient vitamin d. Lol

Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
The world health organizations advice, not mine. Get it straight at least once. If you wanna say the WHO is fear mongering then take it up with them.
Actually it was your advice; the WHO just happens to agree with you.

Quote:
It's great beach weather, but who wants to bake in 85 degree weather under "extreme" UV indexes for half the year for other activities? I started just doing stuff at night for the most part.

For health reasons the WHO agrees with me, they recommend completely avoiding sun exposure between 10am and 4pm under extreme conditions (easier if you have an office job i guess).

And yes, I disagree with their advice. It's garbage.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Actually it was your advice; the WHO just happens to agree with you.
It was not my advice, I gave NO advice. I gave my personal preference and a link to what experts have endorsed. I said that I do stuff at night for the most part (personal preference) for my own reasons (hot and uncomfortable), and the WHO (for health reasons based on a review of empirical evidence) agrees with that course of action. You could maybe make the argument that I tacitly endorsed their advice (the horror!) by referencing their findings and providing a link... I'd probably give you that. But it was never my advice. Simple stuff here...

Quote:
I think it is personal preference... some people don't like how it is hot and sunny all the time in Honolulu, especially with the tradewinds becoming less frequent in recent years. I haven't lived in Seattle to comment but once I stopped surfing a lot the Honolulu sun became the bane of my existence. It's great beach weather, but who wants to bake in 85 degree weather under "extreme" UV indexes for half the year for other activities? I started just doing stuff at night for the most part.

For health reasons the WHO agrees with me, they recommend completely avoiding sun exposure between 10am and 4pm under extreme conditions (easier if you have an office job i guess)
End of story...

Last edited by UHgrad; 06-11-2015 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should create a separate thread for more focused inputs? But the 3 points above by UHgrad pretty much summed it up.
This thread has already gone off the deep end so what is another question gonna hurt? Although starting your own thread might help get more looks because most sane people have stopped reading this pissing match already. haha

I don't work in your specific field so I'm really not sure about the career options. Do you have to physically be present to do your job or could you maybe telework with your current employer while you transition? Tech jobs in general are tough in HNL (part of the reason I left), and the housing market is probably not any easier than Vancouver, but I think most professional couples without school age kids (which I am assuming you are since you didn't mention kids) can make it work if they really want it.

The things that are great about Hawaii (stable warm weather, beaches, scenery, unique mix of cultures) are world class and tough to find anywhere else... for people that love those things it truly is paradise in my opinion. It sounds like, if you can make ends meet, it would be a great fit for you guys. Wish I could be more help... Good luck.

Last edited by UHgrad; 06-11-2015 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,402,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2try View Post
I was recently offered a position in Honolulu, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I currently live in Seattle, and I love it here. I've lived here for 5 years, 4 of them in the same apartment in Capitol Hill. The culture, weather, natural beauty, and history all jive with my personality, and I have a lot of friends here.

That said, breaking into the Seattle job market has been extremely difficult. After two years of fruitless searching, I entered grad school at University of Washington. I will be graduating from the master's program next month. In anticipation of that, I threw my hat in the ring for the Hawaii position, which I didn't expect to get. Turns out they really like me. Meanwhile, I applied to a nearly identical job in Seattle and haven't heard a peep. (Although I have some other temporary job opportunities in Seattle.)

My plan was originally to get a job in Seattle, settle down, save up, buy a house. (I'm 29.) But now with the Honolulu offer I'm reconsidering that. I would prefer to live in Seattle, but should I seriously consider the Honolulu position? I've never visited Hawaii before.

My main concerns are:

*Will Honolulu feel small compared to Seattle? Right now I live in the most urban part of the city, and I love it. I also pay below-market rate for a room in a spacious, well-located 2-bedroom apartment. Basically it's a good deal in a great city, so I'm reluctant to give that up.

*What is it like living in a tropical tourist destination? Do the tourists get annoying?

*The pay range for the Honolulu position is $40-55k starting, with stepped salary increases, maxing out at $70k after a couple years. Would this be enough to pay rent at a one-bedroom apartment in downtown Honolulu? Moreover, would it be enough to save up for a first home?

*What is the art/music scene like in Honolulu? Seattle already feels a bit provincial in terms of the art scene, although the music scene is pretty good.

Alternatively, I could just forgo these concerns and consider the position as a temporary (2-3 year) thing to get the job experience, which would be rare and valuable experience in my field.

It's also worth emphasizing the continued uncertainty of job prospects in Seattle, although I haven't really given the Seattle job market a fair chance with my freshly-minted master's degree.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I love Hawaii - We go there several times a year, sometimes for weeks at time. But I think I'd have a hard time leaving our current city (San Diego) - I'm just too used to being a few hours from beach, mountains, desert, etc...

The music scene - We stay in Honolulu when we are there - the music scene doesn't have the same variety that you find in major cities in the United States, IMO. In fairness, I'm talking about Waikiki in particular, a lot of places have "free live music but it's the same songs over and over again. Basically - what the tourists want to hear. We ended up there the last week of Nov and had to extend two weeks into December - I began to feel like I would never get the Hawaiian Christmas song out of my head (Hawaiian Somewhere Over the Rainbow as well).

My husband is offered jobs in Hawaii on a pretty regular basis - we make quite a bit more than your max would be and still consider it not enough to live there. We like to travel a lot and have to factor getting off the island into our costs, we'd have to travel to see family.

A biggie for us is that it would be difficult to save an money without making some real sacrifices to our current quality of life (and I would add we are not terribly extravagant to my mind) . I worried that not being ale to save money would mean that we wouldn't have an "exit strategy" if we wanted to move back stateside.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM

133 posts, read 182,677 times
While she can visit as a Canadian, she would need to immigrate in order to be a resident and work in the US. Being married to a US citizen doesn't automatically entitle her a working visa. You should sort that out first.

Quote:
I am a US Citizen and my wife is Canadian so we can move anywhere in the US and Canada.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
While she can visit as a Canadian, she would need to immigrate in order to be a resident and work in the US. Being married to a US citizen doesn't automatically entitle her a working visa. You should sort that out first.
yes, i am aware of that as i immigrated to canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: