Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times

Advertisements

Here is another idea about the homeless issues.
Old city buses converted into housing. I first thought
of RV's, but as they explained, would utilize the old City buses.
Would work out better if this plan works. No bringing old RV's to Oahu.
Similar to the old Shipping containers being converted into temp Housing.
Will have to wait and see if this comes to Life?

Buses could be converted into housing for homeless - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Here is another idea about the homeless issues.
Old city buses converted into housing. I first thought
of RV's, but as they explained, would utilize the old City buses.
Would work out better if this plan works. No bringing old RV's to Oahu.
Similar to the old Shipping containers being converted into temp Housing.
Will have to wait and see if this comes to Life?

Buses could be converted into housing for homeless - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Very few homeless will make use of these resources.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:35 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Very few homeless will make use of these resources.
I agree that is probably the outcome. But in order to determine what the real cause of homelessness is in Hawaii, I think first you have to offer enough housing for them.

When you have enough, and they are not using it, then you can examine other reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But in order to determine what the real cause of homelessness is in Hawaii, I think first you have to offer enough housing for them.

When you have enough, and they are not using it, then you can examine other reasons.
I don't completely buy into the Field of Dreams, if you build it - they will come theory.

While I would agree there needs to be robust housing plan for the mentally ill (with appropriate care to help them), children (via foster care - children have no place on the street or shelters), battered women, and vets (funded by the Feds), I don't buy into having shelters for the drug addicts, alcohol abusers, and those who choose to live on the streets - I not terribly interested in funding that lifestyle.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't completely buy into the Field of Dreams, if you build it - they will come theory.

While I would agree there needs to be robust housing plan for the mentally ill (with appropriate care to help them), children (via foster care - children have no place on the street or shelters), battered women, and vets (funded by the Feds), I don't buy into having shelters for the drug addicts, alcohol abusers, and those who choose to live on the streets - I not terribly interested in funding that lifestyle.
The problem is the drug addicts, alcohol abusers and those who choose to live on the streets are the battered women, vets, etc. These are often people that have had severe conflict/fallout with family, were exposed to a traumatic event(s), were incapable of finding employment and/or suffered from serious mental illness - all of which can lead to severe drug/alcohol abuse that is virtually impossible to break free from. Some people literally just "pop". They go from sane to insane because of a single life-changing event. The majority of our homeless have become outcasts in society but not necessarily by fault of their own. These people "choose" to be homeless because of mental illness by genetics or a life-devastating event that causes mental illness. You cannot corral them against their will; by choice, they do not want to be a part of "the system". We should not assume what brings us happiness will bring them happiness. This is not compassion - it's arrogance.

You can't solve the homeless problem - you never will. There will be sanitation issues. They are a blight on our urban landscape. People will continue to realize reduced property values. But unless the accepted strategy is to institutionalize people against their own will (which I hope will never happen), we will forever be in a society where the homeless live beside us. We should accept that reality and treat them with respect as we do any other member of society.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
The problem is the drug addicts, alcohol abusers and those who choose to live on the streets are the battered women, vets
I have no problems funding a shelter for battered women and vets who drifted into alcoholism or drug abuse because of that specific situation - and there are social plans in place to address those issues.

However, there are far to many drug abusers/alcohol abusers out there who aren't vets - or battered women - or mentally ill - they just do it and I have no desire to fund that lifestyle by giving them a place to sleep and zero incentive to correct their situation they brought upon themselves.

To your other point? Where is homelessness impacting property values? Certainly not Waikiki. Certainly not San Francisco - the king of homelessness and sky high property value.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Generally, in my limited experience from talking to various homeless. I get the sense that even when the gov't provides shelters and such. There are always a number of them that don't want anything to do with them. Partly, from my understanding, is that in these shelters, they have to deal with more of the crazies; i.e. people stealing your stuff, people having other issues that they are hard to be around, etc. The somewhat halfway decent thing about a shelter, is I assume there is SOME organization of who sleeps where and people checking people in, so it isn't a complete free for all.

Just having buses for the homeless. It seems like they'd be difficult to 'govern'. Meaning, you'd just have a 'free for all' for dominant personalities to take ownership of the bus, or intimidate others, or take their stuff. All those typical street issues that I'm guessing some homeless would rather avoid or stay away from.

If someone is talking one bus per person; and that one person has a key, it MIGHT resolve some of that; but completely impracticle. A trailer would take up the same space, and at least offer a shower, etc. But all of these things take up space, and that's another issue.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I have no problems funding a shelter for battered women and vets who drifted into alcoholism or drug abuse because of that specific situation - and there are social plans in place to address those issues.
However, there are far to many drug abusers/alcohol abusers out there who aren't vets - or battered women - or mentally ill - they just do it and I have no desire to fund that lifestyle by giving them a place to sleep and zero incentive to correct their situation they brought upon themselves.

How exactly would you be able to determine who should legitimately be assisted under your requirements? I'll answer for you - it's impossible.

Quote:

To your other point? Where is homelessness impacting property values? Certainly not Waikiki. Certainly not San Francisco - the king of homelessness and sky high property value.
If the homeless congregate directly in front or within an eyeshot of said property, yes, property values will be affected. It's definitely not a substantial impact (particularly in higher priced areas of the urban core where the homeless are pretty much a part of the landscape) but still, there is an impact.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Theres a difference between a homeless person and a street person. Further what comes first? Hopelessnes or drug & alcohol addiction? Anyway just to remind people that the topic of the thread is about providing buses as a means to house homeless people, not the moral value of the homeless.

Anyway, I believe buses maynot be the best housing solution concerning the homeless on the islands. There are many examples of homeless cities on the mainland and there temp/permanent living pods online that might be more practical for Hawaii climate etc.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
I see every ones point. The Temp buses will not be able to house not many people at one time.
These are short sighted fixes the mayor is trying.
I do know a lot of the homeless. Do not like rules and regulations that Homeless people have to follow in order living in these " Buses". Its just Another gimmick to show they (Mayor city Council) are trying to help the homeless. Will have to see if this project gets off the ground. A lot of donations have to be supplied to start and convert the "Buses"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: