Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
It's Do able! You'll have have to crunch the numbers.
I'm retired Navy and work at Pearl harbor Naval Ship yard. So i have two checks coming in and a decent income between the two checks . My wife does not work anymore. Due to Arthritis in her knees, cannot remain standing very long periods of time. I cannot afford to own, so i rent.
Most home owners out here Husband and Wife both work full time, to help pay for the Mortgage, or have multi-generational families members, living in the house.
Make sure you keep some of that emergency Fund in case it doesn't work out, just in case!

Mililani area, is a good area to live.The weather is cooler, and gets more rain, due to the higher elevation in central Oahu. You will have the trade wind free air conditioner to keep the temperature down. You should not need Air conditioner for your home. Will help with the Electric bill.

Mililani High school is one of the better city Schools on the island.
Not sure about Middle school, but heard Elementary school is also good.

If you do decide to work. Keep it close to Mililani due to the Horrendous traffic conditions. You have the Above rail systems going in through the Pearl City Aiea along Kam Hwy. Also the H1/H2 Merge Freeway is being widened to add some lanes, along with the rail running into Pearl City. So some lanes are always closed day and night. During the morning and evening traffic rushes, construction stops, for the rushes. But start back up afterwards. This does account for accidents on the H1 or H2 on any given day. Try not to find work beyond Pearl Harbor/Hickham area due to the traffic. I know that's easier said than done but, fair warning
Honolulu Rail Transit Project - Official Site

Hope this helps with your decision, Best of luck with your move!
Thanks for the reply and the detailed information. My wife doesn't work, hopefully she won't have to. I could probably pick up something at the local bases if my business starts to fail.

I think I'm leaning toward a larger mortgage and fatter emergency fund. Looked at some numbers... with a larger mortgage and bigger emergency fund... should be able to last several years off of savings if need be.

Luckily have my retirement accounts pretty stacked so we shouldn't need to worry after retirement age. Just need to worry about the couple of decades in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM

181 posts, read 273,908 times
Unless you're dead-set on O'ahu, I would say that money is more at home on the Big Island. I'd look for the fixer-upper mentioned above, but I'd also look on the neighbor islands.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoclemike View Post
Thanks for the reply and the detailed information. My wife doesn't work, hopefully she won't have to. I could probably pick up something at the local bases if my business starts to fail.

I think I'm leaning toward a larger mortgage and fatter emergency fund. Looked at some numbers... with a larger mortgage and bigger emergency fund... should be able to last several years off of savings if need be.

Luckily have my retirement accounts pretty stacked so we shouldn't need to worry after retirement age. Just need to worry about the couple of decades in between.
Glad to be of help. Sounds like you have a plan. Keep an eye out for Repossessed House’s in the Mililani area. Never know you might find one in Decent shape? Back in 2008-2010 had a lot of Repossessed house's Island wide.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: