Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 AM

59 posts, read 54,093 times

Advertisements

I am so depressed these days, especially when I got into college.
Having pressure from school and living, the relationship in family is getting worse.
I really hate to be in these family.. I mean I cannot stop comparing to them.. because I'm one of the oldest kids in the big family..My older cousins are doing very well in their jobs, even my younger cousin is doing good at school..
And my younger sister is putting me to the corner, she is also better. getting many awards and having many friends..
I'm not kinda outgoing person, but don't know why I cannot get attached to people easily.

Every time she mention about her plan about job and career, I'm not feeling good.. because I am not sure what my path will be.!

I want to move out or having a private place but the house is too small to allow me to do that.
This is a hard time in my life.

Sorry for my bad English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 AM

I hate

Old 07-21-2015, 03:26 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
What is your age? I was the black sheep in my family. I pretty much worked as a laborer/construction worker during my college age years while my siblings were in college and/or graduating earning top marks. I didn't go to college until I was 21... then dropped out my junior year to start my own business.

You say you want to move out and have a private place but the house is too small? What does that mean? You want to move out on your own but you want a bigger place?

Take as much English classes as humanely possible. It's much easier to make friends with others that have limited English speaking skills (especially if they share your ethnic background). But make sure you eventually make friends with well-versed people. They will help you develop your English skills further.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 PM

210 posts, read 251,052 times
Are you Vietanamese?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Be happy for your cousins and don't compare yourself to them or anyone else for that matter. As you've noticed, comparing yourself to others doesn't improve happiness. Find out what brings you joy and follow that instead. Not everyone has to have a lot of friends and be in the center of things. Some people are happy with a few friends, other folks want to be surrounded by friends.

As one of the oldest kids, it's kinda your job to help guide the younger ones. If they are doing well, then it shows you're doing the right things. Still, it's a lot of work helping to take care of the younger ones, can you go out to the beach or somewhere? Sounds like you could use a little time to yourself.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Being one of the oldest kids give me pressure even when I'm not doing as good as the younger ones.
I'm not the one who comparing but the uncles and aunts.
What I hate is being compared when I meet them, which I seldom faced before I moved to Hawaii.

The house is too small that I have no own room. So, there is no place to escape from this bad situation. It's very expensive to rent a apartment outside especially I have to consider the transportation to school.

Some good advice?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Go to the beach and get out of the house for awhile. The Bus will go to Ala Moana and there's a nice beach right across the street from there. That will give you somewhere to go and get out of the house. Or the local library, that's another place to get out of the house.

Try to not be in the same category as your cousins if possible. If they take up tennis, then you could take up hiking or something entirely else instead.

The other thing is it just flat out not care if they compare you to your cousins. Obviously they are not very sensitive folks. If they say something like "Cousin Abbey is doing so much better than you in school", then just agree with them. "Yes, isn't it wonderful for her? She's doing excellently". Then, the discussion isn't about how you compare to her, it's about how well she's doing.

Also, try not to talk to the folks who are comparing you, just get them talking and listen. Don't argue about their misguided opinions, just let them ramble on and try to agree with them or change the subject to something other than a comparison. It doesn't sound like these folks are gonna change much, though. Do they ever want to discuss something else? Can you ask them about their latest Vegas vacation or their health or something else? Maybe they need more topics of conversation.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:21 AM

210 posts, read 251,052 times
I like that. ask about health. Ask them if that mole of yours is cancerous and are yoo doomed to die....................hahahaha!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:02 PM

I don't even have my own room

Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifislow View Post

Some good advice?
Go to speak to a mental health counselor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu