Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 16,641 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about applying to Hawaii Pacific University and I'm wondering about the school. Is it a good school? Some schools are known as party schools and I'm trying to avoid that. Just would like to know what the general consensus of the school was. Thanks for any information!

I'm trying to go to school someplace warmer than where I currently live. Minnesota is a nice place but -15F is not. Don't worry, that isn't my only consideration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM

850 posts, read 4,367,586 times
one of my twin nieces goes to hpu (downtown) and likes it. her twin goes to uh and likes it just as well. private vs. public schools, that is the question. also, if you were to go to hpu, would it be downtown or the windward campus?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 16,641 times
It will be the downtown campus. Which uh campus does your neice go to? Just out of complete curiousity, what are they studying?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 PM

850 posts, read 4,367,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings073 View Post
It will be the downtown campus. Which uh campus does your neice go to? Just out of complete curiousity, what are they studying?
sorry. don't know for sure. the one at hpu (downtown) i think is taking journalism or broadcasting or video editing. something like that? and, the one at uh manoa is/was into physical therapy or sports medicine? they are freshmen.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 AM

45 posts, read 219,087 times
Hawai'i Pacific University seems to be a good school based on the alumni I met so far.

Also, they have some pretty well-rated online pdegree programs if you can't afford the cost of living in Hawai'i (and not many people can):

Online MBA Degree Concentrations

Online Masters in Organizational Change

Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,390 times
Most of my friends say that UH is a better school than HPU. That is just word on the street...

Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 PM

263 posts, read 868,453 times
Is there some particular reason you're not applying to UH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Most of my friends say that UH is a better school than HPU. That is just word on the street...
That's what I've also heard.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
Is there some particular reason you're not applying to UH?

That's what I've also heard.

It just depends on your Major.... but for the most part UH is a better School but your Diploma will only get you your first job.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,670 times
HPU has the benefit of being a private school, which means they are not being decimated by budget cuts. I would discourage *anyone* from applying to the UH system as a student or an employee for at least the short term. Just saying.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,976 times
Default Politely Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
It just depends on your Major.... but for the most part UH is a better School but your Diploma will only get you your first job.
I have actually benefited for over 30 years from having a degree from a prominent university. Deservedly or not. And my degree is in a subject far-removed from my career focus. Dropping the name of a top-tier school opens doors and tends to anneal an image in some people's minds. (Often prospective employers or clients.)

As alluring as going to school in Hawaii might be, I still recommend that people attend the very best school they can get into in their area of interest. If they don't know what they want to major in, I still recommend they select the best school for the kinds of programs they tend to like.

There are very few "all-purpose" universities in the US. Fewer that are worth their salt. If you're going to school because you're serious about learning or pursuing a discipline, aim for the top. If you just want a degree, take what you want, but be prepared to run with the pack.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: