Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:01 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times

Advertisements

The point is that some things are higher and Hawaii and some aren't. If one learns to shop smart, then eating in Hawaii can be affordable. Costco, Foodland, KTA, Cost U Less, etc. I may still buy an occasional head of iceberg lettuce at Safeway, but usually I just eat the arugula or romaine or whatever grows in my garden or buy at the local farmer's market.

BTW stuff grows year round in my garden on the Big Island. That's a BIG difference from most places on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The point is that some things are higher and Hawaii and some aren't. If one learns to shop smart, then eating in Hawaii can be affordable. Costco, Foodland, KTA, Cost U Less, etc. I may still buy an occasional head of iceberg lettuce at Safeway, but usually I just eat the arugula or romaine or whatever grows in my garden or buy at the local farmer's market.

BTW stuff grows year round in my garden on the Big Island. That's a BIG difference from most places on the mainland.
We stopped by the farmer's market in Hilo several times, and we really liked that farmer's market, but the prices weren't that cheap. We just bought 15 very large bell peppers at the St Paul farmer's market yesterday, 15 very large bell peppers for only $5. It might be tough to grow them for that cheap!

We dream of gardening all year round. I'm stuck here for another 3 years till I retire. We're going to move our hydroponics to the basement this winter, and continue our gardening on a reduced scale over the winter. Running the grow area lighting won't be cheap. A 1,000 watt grow light covers a 7 x 7 foot grow area. That's about $2 a day to run one 1,000 watt grow light at 13 cents per KWH. If we expand the grow area, that would double or triple the electricity cost. Gardening isn't a cheap hobby in the snow belt, if you want to garden year round.

When we move to a better climate, we plan on setting up at least one greenhouse. I think it would be easier to control the insect and decease problems using a greenhouse in an area that doesn't freeze. I already bought a greenhouse for our current location, to extend the growing season, but haven't had the time to assemble it.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

You might be assuming that the reason why food is so expensive in Hawaii is due to only the shipping costs. If that is the case, then why are the shipping costs between Hawaii and the mainland seem to be more expensive than shipping goods by sea globally? Or, maybe there are other reasons. Maybe the business costs, taxes, energy, and everything else causes businesses in Hawaii to have to significantly raise prices to overcome the poor business environment. Perhaps the primary reasons for the high costs in Hawaii is not primarily due to shipping, but primarily due to other factors that contribute to the poor business environment.

I think this in large part true, but I am not familiar with food in Hawaii in any detail. Even stuff at our Farmer's Markets is more expensive than the mainland.

And how does the Jones Act apply here? I'm genuinely asking. I know of it's existence, and the problems, but I think it's only on International ships?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-22-2016, 12:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Of the 1,000 issues about moving and living in Hawaii - food cost should run about #1,000 or about that point.

Seriously, food costs? If that is going to make or break someone moving to Hawaii - then you have serious prioritization issues. A $100 basket of food from Safeway is probably going to run $110 on Oahu give or take - if that is going to stress someone out - then you have issues. Your housing costs, electricity, lower paying job, not seeing friends or family, trying to fit in, etc all take precedence over a marginal difference in food costs.

And this Costco thing is truly bizarre. Who wants to eat the same thing over and over again. Some of the unique items are fine - but seriously, go to Costco just to buy bulk potato chips - how odd. And isn't time valuable to anyone? This sitting in line at a Costco gas station to save 25 cents on Oahu is also bizarre. I can use my Safeway card to get within 5 cents at Chevron - or pay cash at the Tesoro/Helo station for the 5 cent difference. How much gas does everyone need on a 18 by 40 mile island - I ended up getting a Tesla anyway, no gas - powered by solar so no cost - and I get to park for free at metered spots.

And for the poster regarding the Jones Act - while I think it is outdated there are a lot of misconceptions. First, it only applies to US domestic shipping. A foreign ship cannot ship lets say LA to HNL. Many people wrongly think foreign goods can't get shipped on a foreign ship - lets say, Philippines to HNL - but that isn't true - a Philippines to HNL shipment on a foreign ship is perfectly legal - but guess what, Hawaii isn't large enough to make that worthwhile and many of the mega-container ships the foreign countries use wouldn't fit in our harbors anyway.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:52 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
I am coming back baby!!

I have a trip to California for work. April 12-13. I will head to Hawaii late April 13 then spend April 14 to 20th in paradise.

Is the weather in April decent for watersports? Any big rainfall?

Oh tiddays!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The User Formerly Known as Mr. Ryu View Post
Any big rainfall?
Maybe.

Maybe not.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:15 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Rain right now is on and off, spotty. Hard to tell. Clear now but this weekend rains will return. But it's all good for a visit.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Yes, suppose to rain this weekend - and it has been a very rainy, and cold (for here) winter. Spring has started out better.

I personally tend to see a shift a wet season to dry season and temps going up pretty quickly generally starting May 1. I see the opposite occur right about Nov 1.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
It's warm when it rains, it should slow your roll.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
It's going to get dark towards evening, followed by increasing light in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu