Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the cheapest way to build a home? Trying to find the price range to build single family home in Honolulu, just want the basic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Approximately $350K to build a 1,700 sq ft place in Honolulu

Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeandOreo View Post
Anyone know the cheapest way to build a home? Trying to find the price range to build single family home in Honolulu, just want the basic.
Bare bones cheap construction on a flat and level easily accessible lot with no site work requirements and full access to existing wastewater, water and power with cheap finishes will cost about $150/SF (for a 1,500 SF minimum sized home). The larger the home, the lower the cost per SF (generally speaking) but $150/SF is good starting point for an ultra basic mid-sized home. Compact homes (i.e. <1,500 SF) will cost more per SF to build. $200/SF is a good starting point for a basic compact sized home.

A standard sized home with additional bathrooms, larger kitchens and decent (not fancy) finishes/appointments will start around $200/SF and can go up wildly from there ($300+/SF) depending on finishes. Luxury homes generally start at about $300-$400/SF to build.

If the home is on a sloped mountainside or near the ocean, add $50-$75/SF to the build cost.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,590 times
My Honolulu condo would sell for $1,475 a sf. When I did cost studies in San Francisco a few years ago hard and soft costs for mid to high mid range were about $350. Entrepreneur costs were about another $250 per sf. That would be $600 a sf. That would be total for land and improvements.
I'm not sure what is being included in the low mentioned numbers.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
There's a substantial cost difference between building a single family dwelling, as in a house on a lot, and a condo in a 30+ story building.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 PM

I'm having a guest house built right now. 1,700 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths - I'd describe it as not fancy - mid range - $350K for the structure, flooring, finishes, appliances, etc. In Hawaii(specifically Oahu) the cost of the house isn't what is expensive, it's all about the land.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
My Honolulu condo would sell for $1,475 a sf. When I did cost studies in San Francisco a few years ago hard and soft costs for mid to high mid range were about $350. Entrepreneur costs were about another $250 per sf. That would be $600 a sf. That would be total for land and improvements.
About 50% of the total build area of a condo goes to the actual condo unit. The other 50% represents the common area of the project (e.g. lobby, fire stairs, parking garage, hallways, recreation areas, pools and other amenities, etc etc). So if a condo has 1,000 SF of interior space, there is roughly another 1,000 SF of additional "structure" built to accommodate that one unit. General construction cost of an average (not luxury) mid rise or high rise condo is roughly $250/SF (overall average between common area and interiors + condo-only components like fire apparatus' elevators, shared amenities, etc). So the condo builder is in for about $500/SF for the condo unit only (what people actually pay for). Then add land cost, development cost, loan cost and risk assessment/return. When a condo developer sells for $700/SF in Hawaii, they are usually making a tiny margin.

On the plus side, with a condo development the expense of the land can be spread among many individually owned (and marketable) units. Whereas in a single family home the cost of the land goes entirely to one single unit. That's why on RPT assessments, you'll find that the land value is usually a mere 10-15% of the total value of a condo unit. Whereas in a single family home, the land could represent 70-80% of the total value of the property.

So either you put the housing expense into the structure (condo) or land (house).

Old 09-26-2015, 12:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Shipping Cargo Containers for Sale or Rent | Containers Hawaii
Of course you would have to have a place to put it. Is there a law against a container home, in a neighborhood?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Shipping Cargo Containers for Sale or Rent | Containers Hawaii
Of course you would have to have a place to put it. Is there a law against a container home, in a neighborhood?
It is mostly legal, unless you live in an area that expressly forbids it via HOA rules - For instance, I believe Mililani is a giant HOA and has rules and fees regarding your property.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is mostly legal, unless you live in an area that expressly forbids it via HOA rules - For instance, I believe Mililani is a giant HOA and has rules and fees regarding your property.
Very true. HOA's are really located all over. On Oahu. The containers are still being thought about temp housing for the homeless. Will see how far it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu