Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 18,828 times

Advertisements

nothing worse than arriving on a beautiful island and seeing signs for McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Subway.

even worse than that is the amount of development that has happened and ruined the nature here.

what about homeless people arriving in drones?

pretty sad if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Now THAT'S A GREAT RUMOR to get started...

Just how are all these homeless people managing to travel to Hawaii? Obviously they can't afford the airfare, and once they do get here they're already broke.. How do they manage it??

DRONES!!!!!!

Imagine that, a flotilla of airborne homeless, duck taped to drones, a few attached to each appendage,, (it's gonna hurt some guys). They've stolen a crap load of batteries, and are on their way here!!!!

LOOK OUT HAWAII, IT'S THE ATTACK OF THE HOMELESS DRONITES!!!!!!!

Just when you thought it was,,, uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze me, safe

Old 11-11-2015, 11:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Yeah, not like you see McDonald's or Subway all around the world. Pizza Hut also. Taco Bell not so much. (And there are only a handful of Taco Bell restaurants at least on Oahu which given the island wide awful Mexican food is quite a relief).

Old 11-12-2015, 03:42 AM

28 posts, read 33,452 times
Quote:
Imagine that, a flotilla of airborne homeless, duck taped to drones, a few attached to each appendage,, (it's gonna hurt some guys). They've stolen a crap load of batteries, and are on their way here!!!!

LOOK OUT HAWAII, IT'S THE ATTACK OF THE HOMELESS DRONITES!!!!!!!
Dying laughing. I believe you meant "droves". I can't take it.

The Mexican food there is terrible? Bummer.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Hmm, Pahoa Doesn't have Taco Bell or Mcdonald's, only Subway. Only 1/3 ruined? Have seen a few drones though.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Yup, Oahu is screwed up, but I don't think it's from franchise restaurants. Personally, I think the only way they could have kept it nice was to put a moratorium on construction several decades ago, but not sure how that could have ever been implemented. I'd say limit the population, too, but not sure how that could be done, either. As for the homeless, I think a lot of them are folks being priced out of housing and not just imported homeless. But Hawaii does import so much stuff, maybe they may as well import the homeless to go along with everything else.

Given the examples of places such as Manhatten or Hong Kong, there's still room to add density to Oahu's population. I find it really uncomfortable to visit there anymore, though. Everything seems so squished together and everyone seems to be lined up for the same things. Everywhere for everything, there seems to be at least some level of competition to get whatever "it" is. Plate lunch, parking, movies, shops, surfing space, etc. It's no wonder there's a percentage of the population that has to do without.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I've noticed a lot of people who suggest that development has "ruined" Oahu don't live here. I definitely don't like the ever increasing population but I'd rather have Pizza Hut here than have to fish for my own food. I'd also rather live in houses or new condos than in grass huts, have paved roads rather than dirt roads, etc.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I thought Oahu is America so how can America ruin something that is already American?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:51 PM

133 posts, read 182,380 times
Actually people here like mainland conveniences (eg. Costco). (Trader Joe's, Chipotle and Shake Shack, are you listening?!??) I know many people super excited about the new Bloomingdales.

That aside, Oahu is lacking in urban and master planning. Some of the areas just do not make sense to me. And so many ugly buildings. And cost of living makes it very difficult for low-wage earners to survive here.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Oahu is just putting the fast Food restaurants where everyone can find them while, on the run being tourist.
Also the Asian tourist are also going to the fast food restaurants, so it is tourist driven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu