Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 AM

97 posts, read 138,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I just got pre-approved for a mortgage for $550,000, and am beginning the house hunting search in earnest; I currently rent a one bedroom in Pearl City for $1,300/month! Searching the MLS listings, I'm finding some interesting and affordable leads (I'm mainly looking in Mililani and at some options in town) on condos. Will continue to update this thread as I move on with my journey!
Thanks for the continued updates and good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,663 times
Aloha everyone. My wife just landed a RN job out in Kailua for a night shift position so we would be moving in a month or so from California. Her annually income would be around $90k. I will be unemployed possibly for a couple of months. Once we settle in I will begin looking for a job in an accounting position. We are flying down next week to look for apartments in the area. I found some 1 bedrooms for $1400 my question is in reality what will our monthly rent expense be if the apartment doesn't include electricity? Also I'm a parttime bartender her in California I make a descent living at it along with my full time job, my question is how hard is to land a job at hotel in Waikiki or at a restaurant?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
You'll need to look at that $1,400 place in person - you'll likely be disappointed.

As far as electricity - budget $100+ with no AC - it can go dramatically higher from there.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
Thanks for the continued updates and good luck with your search!
Absolutely! And thanks! I've been viewing properties for the last week or so; I felt like I was on the show House Hunters. The first day that I went out with the agent (we looked in town on both days), I wasn't pleased with the quality of the properties, especially for what they were asking, though some were in prime areas. The second day, however, was much more successful and I found a gorgeous place (2 bedroom, one bathroom, hardwood floors, new wood cabinets and stainless steel appliances, great views of the city . . . just really nicely done) that I'm going to make an offer on. Keeping the fingers crossed that it will be accepted.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You'll need to look at that $1,400 place in person - you'll likely be disappointed.

As far as electricity - budget $100+ with no AC - it can go dramatically higher from there.
Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 18,994 times
I recently moved here and I have to say LISTEN TO THE PEEPS ON THIS BOARD. Hawaii real estate isn't like the mainland.

Also, until you live here and work about 6 months, you really don't know where are the 'best' places to live as taste, commute time, and flavor differ.

Buying a property without knowing the area well here can be a disappointment - much less, buying it and 'thinking' it would be a great rental is another.

For consideration on how to judge a property you want to rent check out this site: AffordAnything Evaluating Rental Property

Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Good news (and hopefully my final update to this thread)! Appraisal came back today, and at asking price. Also, there are no repairs needed, so there will be no further back and forth. Still on track to close by the end of the month. I really appreciate all of the insight/advice I received from folks in the forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu