Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,982,401 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread.

We plan to be in Oahu in mid July. The entire trip to Hawaii will be 10-11 days and we plan to spend 6-7 days in Oahu. I think we will be staying near Waikiki Beach for the most part and rent a car for part of the stay in Oahu so we can get out and see some other parts of the Island. It sounds like we may need a car the entire time though to reach just the sites in Honolulu?

What is the traffic like in July? Is everything just crazy with tourists so much that you can't even get around? What do people mean by bad traffic? I have been stuck in midtown Manhattan where it has taken 3 hours to go ten blocks! I live in the DC area and visit places like Chicago, LA, SF etc all the time. So can somebody compare the summer traffic in Honolulu to a major mainland city?

I'm hoping we can see Pearl Harbor, Battleship Missouri, Arizona Memorial, Diamond Head and of course we will be in the Waikiki Beach area. I think we may stay in Waikiki for a 3-4 nights and then drive and stay in a more remote area of the island with some less crowded beaches etc. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
July traffic is fine as University of Hawaii is not in session.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 804,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is a great thread.

We plan to be in Oahu in mid July. The entire trip to Hawaii will be 10-11 days and we plan to spend 6-7 days in Oahu. I think we will be staying near Waikiki Beach for the most part and rent a car for part of the stay in Oahu so we can get out and see some other parts of the Island. It sounds like we may need a car the entire time though to reach just the sites in Honolulu?

What is the traffic like in July? Is everything just crazy with tourists so much that you can't even get around? What do people mean by bad traffic? I have been stuck in midtown Manhattan where it has taken 3 hours to go ten blocks! I live in the DC area and visit places like Chicago, LA, SF etc all the time. So can somebody compare the summer traffic in Honolulu to a major mainland city?

I'm hoping we can see Pearl Harbor, Battleship Missouri, Arizona Memorial, Diamond Head and of course we will be in the Waikiki Beach area. I think we may stay in Waikiki for a 3-4 nights and then drive and stay in a more remote area of the island with some less crowded beaches etc. Any ideas? Thanks!
Check out parking situation at your hotel it can be very expensive. Most of the cool stuff in Waikiki is easily within walking distance and the excursions most always include transportation to and from. Get your rent a car setup for the morning of the day you are planning on taking off to drive around the island. you can spend the day checking out the first half. a good place to stay is Turtle Bay which is at the top of the island it is absolutely Beautiful and not to expensive if you plan ahead. Then spend the second day checking out the other half. check out youtube there is tons of videos on all the sights, food, and historical stuff etc. Use Google Earth street view to check out all the places you are planning on seeing. We were just there during the week of thanksgiving which is one of the busiest times and the traffic wasn't to bad.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
Check out parking situation at your hotel it can be very expensive. Most of the cool stuff in Waikiki is easily within walking distance and the excursions most always include transportation to and from. Get your rent a car setup for the morning of the day you are planning on taking off to drive around the island. you can spend the day checking out the first half. a good place to stay is Turtle Bay which is at the top of the island it is absolutely Beautiful and not to expensive if you plan ahead. Then spend the second day checking out the other half. check out youtube there is tons of videos on all the sights, food, and historical stuff etc. Use Google Earth street view to check out all the places you are planning on seeing. We were just there during the week of thanksgiving which is one of the busiest times and the traffic wasn't to bad.
I was hoping we would only need a car for part of the stay in Oahu. Turtle Bay looks great. Rooms run 450-600 in July, does that sound about right or is that high? Thanks for the info!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:31 AM

June-July-August are the busiest months for tourism. $450+ for Turtle Bay this far in advance sounds right for July.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
June-July-August are the busiest months for tourism. $450+ for Turtle Bay this far in advance sounds right for July.
When you say "this far in advance", are you saying that prices are higher or lower this far in advance? I knew hotels would be expensive, but these summer prices are than I thought they would be.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
When you say "this far in advance", are you saying that prices are higher or lower this far in advance? I knew hotels would be expensive, but these summer prices are than I thought they would be.
We are on year 5 of record tourism and Turtle Bay is one of only 2 hotels (that I can think of) on the North Shore so I'm not surprised they are starting with high rates and will only drop if demand softens (which it probably won't).

In 2015 - Oahu averaged 85% occupancy for the entire year which is really quite high.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We are on year 5 of record tourism and Turtle Bay is one of only 2 hotels (that I can think of) on the North Shore so I'm not surprised they are starting with high rates and will only drop if demand softens (which it probably won't).

In 2015 - Oahu averaged 85% occupancy for the entire year which is really quite high.
Are you counting Pat's?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,324 times
https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?hotel...640.1454044056
$309=$369 at the Lotus. Nice boutique Hotel on the Gold Coast.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:18 AM

430 posts, read 642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you're staying in Waikiki, then you're in the hotbed of night lift so no need to wander far.

Rental cars may or may not be worthwhile on Oahu. The traffic is horrendous and you'll spend a lot of time sitting in traffic in the rental car. Oh, there's no free parking that comes along with your hotel, so add in about $25 - $50 a day for parking fees. No free parking anywhere in Waikiki, really. If it were me, I'd take a shuttle to the hotel, check in there and hoof it around Waikiki/Ala Moana area for a day or two. From Ala Moana Shopping center just outside of Waikiki, there's city buses - Da Bus - which go all over the island. Might be worth while to get a day pass for the bus and just wander around via public bus. That would give you a glimpse of life as a resident.
The bus is great if you want to spend 2-3 hours getting to the other side of the island. Vacationing on Oahu and not renting a car is ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu