Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times

Advertisements

Oh no! My deepest condolences, Scott, I hope you have many wonderful memories of your wife to support you at this time of your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 45,968 times
Perhaps since what you seek is really just a tropical experience, I'd suggest you try Florida first, especially since you've been there already. A mainland destination means you can hitchhike there from where you are, saving big on transportation costs, and if it doesn't work out you can always hitchhike back. Additionally, Florida's costs are way less expensive than Hawaii in every measure and every category. Living Hawaii is a drastic cultural, emotional, financial and logistical relocation, especially for anyone without any real plan, education, work experience, or support system.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sorry for your loss Scott
Thank you, whtviper Appricate the post.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 AM

47 posts, read 71,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studephan View Post
Perhaps since what you seek is really just a tropical experience, I'd suggest you try Florida first, especially since you've been there already. A mainland destination means you can hitchhike there from where you are, saving big on transportation costs, and if it doesn't work out you can always hitchhike back. Additionally, Florida's costs are way less expensive than Hawaii in every measure and every category. Living Hawaii is a drastic cultural, emotional, financial and logistical relocation, especially for anyone without any real plan, education, work experience, or support system.
Thank you for the very helpful feedback. You don't think I am able to move there only for 3-6 months? it would not be a permanent decision.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:10 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,915 times
I recommend that you concentrate on educating yourself to improve your future rahter than following an empty dream. As mentioned by another post, it may take a lot of front money, $20K or more to move, find a place to live, and survive without employment, until you find employment and a steady income. Since you are young, if you decided to move to a place you have never visited before to follow a dream, when you fail, you need to have enough money to get back to the mainland so you don't become another homeless, broke person wandering around in Hawaii, eating out of garbage cans, trying to earn pocket change by collecting empty soda cans.

If you can't afford to visit Hawaii for a couple of weeks, you can't afford to live there. You're correct that becoming a personal trainer is likely to be a path to be broke your entire life. Same goes for working in fast food, a retails store, or some other low skill level, minimum wage job. Sometimes you have to learn things that will increase your earning potential, even if you don't like the subject matter. In America, you have the opportunities to dramatically improve your life. In communist countries, you can be held down, have a miserable life in poverty and squaller.

I recommend that you delay your dream until after you educated yourself. It's possible to pursue a high return on investment 2 or 4 year degree, where you can start at $50K fresh out of college, and be making six figures within 10 years. The pain and suffering educating yourself only lasts 2 or 4 years and sets you up for a good life. After you are in the work force making a good income, you will be able to easily afford visiting Hawaii for weeks. You might be able to find a job in Hawaii that pays enough so that you aren't struggling to get by. If you don't properly educate yourself, you might end up working low wage, low skill level jobs with no benefits and you may be broke or next to broke your entire life, constantly living one paycheck away from being homeless.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:56 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,175,839 times
6 months rent-$9k (at 1500 month, but could be reduced)
Plane ticket from East coast-$2k (with return option)
$2k for food for the whole time.

That is 13k if he is just a beach bum.

I'd recommend applying at all the nice resorts with spas. When I worked at the Grand Wailea we had personal trainers that were hired on staff for the guests of the hotel.

I knew many guys that came to the islands with very little and many didn't last beyond the 6 months to a year, but they weren't planning on staying forever.

I went over to stay forever, but it didn't work out (mother's illness and 9/11 changed my plans). It would have worked out. I secured a good job and I was willing to change.

I still think about moving back, but now that I have a family and the cost to live coupled with the lower wages, has kept me away. I have a family now. Not just me.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Very sorry indeed, Scott.
Thank you for your kind reply.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 AM

430 posts, read 640,638 times
This is the first time I've heard of someone wanting to live in Honolulu. Usually people live there because they have to for proximity to work or school

Old 02-25-2016, 03:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Honolulu is a great place to live, although it's got tons of drawbacks and it's rather a bit expensive. But compared to many other places, especially other really urban places, it's a great place. It's a tough place to make a go of just walking in cold, though.

Has anyone noticed the commercial for the jobs & hiring website? They say employers should use their site so they don't have to wade through tons of applications from mainland applicants. I guess it's legal to sort folks by their address. It also indicates the huge bias against mainland applicants.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Has anyone noticed the commercial for the jobs & hiring website? They say employers should use their site so they don't have to wade through tons of applications from mainland applicants. I guess it's legal to sort folks by their address. It also indicates the huge bias against mainland applicants.
It's definitely legal. You have to have a local address for Altres as another example or you won't be considered. The reason being if they call you at 10:00am you should be able to interview at 1pm the same day. Everywhere I've work there has been a drop down rejection flag in the recruiting system for "not local candidate" and valid to reject without further consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: