Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:55 PM

34 posts, read 42,280 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to this site, but glad I found it here.
I'm planning on moving to Mililani this June, from Atlanta, Ga. My daughter will be in Kindergarten this summer and school around my house sucks. I either have to move up north to the suburbs or get her into a private school - then I thought, let's try Hawaii - I grew up on the seaside and spent all my summers on the beach. I have my own business, which will be kept running at current location. I'm in charge of R&D and have been working remotely on and off for the last 2 years, just to try out the workflow. I'd keep my house here so in any case it's not a good fit for us then we'll simply move back. My childhood friend is a professor at UofH and he has given me a lot of confidence of moving there.
I'm wondering if there are regular apartment complex like what we have here for temporary housing, 6 or 12 mo 'til we find something more permanent. Somehow all my search results were privately owned houses/condos. I just want to get close to good schools, so if some other area is comparable to Mililani please let me know.
I'm not too crazy about school rankings, but from the Internet that's all I can find out. So any suggestion on elementary schools will be great. Just want my kids to grow up in the sea breeze with good close friends like I did. I also considered LA, but heck If Hawaii works out then it's even better!

Thanks!

Daz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Well - you aren't going to get a sea breeze in Mililani - and public schools are likely worse in Hawaii than where you are coming from. You should start your expectations very low.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - you aren't going to get a sea breeze in Mililani - and public schools are likely worse in Hawaii than where you are coming from. You should start your expectations very low.
ha what about no expectations...no there are good schools in Hawaii, that's why we stick to Mililani or Manoa. I've read all school threads here, I know what to expect. It's all about parents, and we're good parents. I'm not here to argue state school rankings - the richest person may not come from the richest countries.

My question was, are there apartment complex in Mililani that can be leased pretty quickly upon arrival.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
I've had to relocate a lot of employees while I've lived here in Hawaii and I have not found any good options for what you are looking for across the entire island

Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 PM

I guess I'd have to do a house by house search. Well, i'm gonna ship my 1976 Westy over there first and we'll camp out on the beaches 'til we find something!
I'm surprised no one runs an apartment complex over there...

Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,582 times
Please stay on the mainland. You have unrealistic expectations of Honolulu real estate. Aloha.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:07 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Here is a couple of links to check out. I would not try craigslist list unless I was here in person on the Island.
Apartments for Rent in Mililani, Top 39 Apts and Homes in Mililani, HI - realtor.com®
http://www.myapartmentmap.com/apartments/hi/mililani/

Old 02-23-2016, 12:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogowanda View Post
Hi all,
<SNIP>
I'm wondering if there are regular apartment complex like what we have here for temporary housing, 6 or 12 mo 'til we find something more permanent. Somehow all my search results were privately owned houses/condos. I just want to get close to good schools, so if some other area is comparable to Mililani please let me know. <SNIP>
Ah, what exactly is a 'regular apartment complex'? One where all the apartments are owned by the same person? Do they rent them differently there?

All the schools in the state are run by the Department of Education, so the neighborhood's don't support the schools. Which is different than how they do it on the mainland, I think.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:01 AM

8 posts, read 11,721 times
Don't worry about looking for an apt complex in Mililani, because you're not going to find any. Instead, look for a condo/house in the school district you want your daughter to attend. I recommend Mililani Mauka Ele or Mililani Ike Ele, both in the newer side of Mililani. Both schools are good (my daughter is a first grader at Mililani Mauka) & both schools have air conditioning which is very important here. Parents are very involved at the schools here as well.

Our experiece with the public school has been good so far. We researched everything we could for years, even before we had kids, because we knew Hawaii is where we belong & we wanted to make sure our kids will grow up in a good community with good schools. The schools in Mililani are better than the public schools in the California town we moved from. One complaint I do have is "Common Core!" This is my personal opinion, but I really really hate common core. My 1st grader has 1 - 2 hrs of homework everyday. It seems like there's an assessment every other week. I can go on about common core, but I'll stop here.

Living in Mililani is similar to living in many mainland suburban town. It's very family oriented, & due to its close proximity to the military base it has a nice mix of locals & new arrivals. We're not beachside, but within 1/2 hr drive to the north shore or Ko Olina. I love the weather here; being in a higher elevation it's a bit cooler & rains a little bit more than other areas. Mililani is clean, safe & well maintained.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 AM

something like "Post" or "Gable", apartments built and leased by a national chain. I've lived up and down along east coast since my college years so I always find one of these apartments and then once I get familiar w/ the area I'll find a place more permanent.
of course every place is different, i've been looking up in trulia and zillow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Ah, what exactly is a 'regular apartment complex'? One where all the apartments are owned by the same person? Do they rent them differently there?

All the schools in the state are run by the Department of Education, so the neighborhood's don't support the schools. Which is different than how they do it on the mainland, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu