Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 42,186 times

Advertisements

I plan on shipping over some of my machine tools and bike stands when I'm moving in June. I will probably rent a condo and left w/ no garage. I wonder how easy it is to get a storage place w/ garage doors. So I can work in it.

Anyone knows about the "maker" community in Oahu? I'm a member of Atlanta Freesider, and have been making gadgets and building bikes for the last 10 years. I'd love to know anything going on there as a hackspace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Sorry, I don't know of any maker spaces on Oahu, but there's one in Hilo, I think. Different island, though.

What exactly is a 'maker space'? Do they make money somehow or are they a non-profit sort of thing? I've been thinking it might be a good thing to have that sort of thing in town to give folks access to better tools, but how does the maker space sustain itself? Is there a standard sort of maker space or are all of them different?

Most of the storage spaces I know of aren't really keen on folks doing much more than storing things there, but some low key activity might not be noticed.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sorry, I don't know of any maker spaces on Oahu, but there's one in Hilo, I think. Different island, though.

What exactly is a 'maker space'? Do they make money somehow or are they a non-profit sort of thing? I've been thinking it might be a good thing to have that sort of thing in town to give folks access to better tools, but how does the maker space sustain itself? Is there a standard sort of maker space or are all of them different?

Most of the storage spaces I know of aren't really keen on folks doing much more than storing things there, but some low key activity might not be noticed.
It could be both for profit or non-profit. In general it provides a community space for makers with tools and machinery that's hard for a household to have. TechShop is a national chain. Ga Tech has an "invention lab" is the same thing. I need to find out if UH has one. They are great for a prototyper like me.

I've set up my shop here in atlanta quite like a maker space. I have CNC mill, lathe, drill press, laser cutter, welder and all the tools, i'd miss them a lot if I don't ship them all over!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 AM

found a couple of them on Oahu

Hawaii Maker

Last edited by gogowanda; 02-24-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM

28 posts, read 39,350 times
I'm moving to Kauai later this year and never would have even thought to look for this until I saw your post, but sure enough, there's a group there as well. Thanks for the link!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 PM

10 posts, read 10,520 times
Bumping this up.
We are considering a move to the Big Island. My husband has also acquired a large and "smaller" CNC mills, lathe, welders and all that goes with his "hobby". He too is an avid prototyper and can not imagine life without his creative outlet. The larger mill will not come with us, though. Way too big. We like the Discovery Harbour area but would have to confine the shop area to a garage. I imagine the shipping container will be full of tools and no furniture.....
Has anyone shipped a container of machine shop tools? Any problems or suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigo25 View Post
Bumping this up.
We are considering a move to the Big Island. My husband has also acquired a large and "smaller" CNC mills, lathe, welders and all that goes with his "hobby". He too is an avid prototyper and can not imagine life without his creative outlet. The larger mill will not come with us, though. Way too big. We like the Discovery Harbour area but would have to confine the shop area to a garage. I imagine the shipping container will be full of tools and no furniture.....
Has anyone shipped a container of machine shop tools? Any problems or suggestions? Thanks!
You may be able to build a shed for your husband's hobby. Submit some simple plans to the DH Architectural Committee and see what they say. Obviously cannot just park a shipping container on your property to use as storage.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,520 times
Thanks Dreaming. Would never use container on property. Did not notice any sizable accessory buildings when we were there this winter. That would be perfect if allowed. Currently have large pole barn for his toys.
We looked at many homes when we were there and continue looking from here. Really like the location of Discovery Harbour.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
No, there aren't any large accessory buildings. One reason might be that the accessory building has to be 20' from rear lot line and 10' from side lot line. On a pie shaped lot such as mine it really restricts the size and location of accessory buildings.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,593,606 times
Whatever you do, just make sure it is sturdy enough to be locked up when you're not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: