Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 AM

33 posts, read 51,513 times

Advertisements

are there any self driving cars in Honolulu?

Are they reliable?

how much does a self driving car cost?

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 12:35 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
They have shown them on TV news. But i do not know of anyone, I know, who has one.
I do not have any answers for your questions?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM

181 posts, read 274,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_cat View Post
are there any self driving cars in Honolulu?
No, but there are a lot of tourists on Kamehameha Highway who seem to think that they rented one!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
No, but there are a lot of tourists on Kamehameha Highway who seem to think that they rented one!

LOL if it wasn't so true.

I thought self driving cars were just in the testing stage? And after the google one had a fender bender, it is even less of a possibility.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2016, 10:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Self-driving cars may be the perfect answer to tourists wandering around, though, when you think about it. As well as the commute, folks could catch up on nap time or texting if the car drove itself.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Self-driving cars may be the perfect answer to tourists wandering around, though, when you think about it. As well as the commute, folks could catch up on nap time or texting if the car drove itself.
I that's called public transportation and the rail.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
How true. I read, write in my journal, talk to people, and listen to tunes all the time when traveling around....on the bus. Used to snooze, but too many times I ended up at the end of the line in Daly City on Bart when I lived in San Francisco. You do that a few times and you learn to stay awake.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 473 times
As long as it takes for anything to get done here in Honolulu driverless cars hmm maybe 60 years down the road.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I that's called public transportation and the rail.
I've been saying this for years...

By the time rail is built and operational in a decade, inexpensive, electric semi-autonomous cars will whisk people to work. While "drivers" may spend 3-4 hours a day sitting in traffic, at least they can do so without having to keep an eye on the road and their feet alternating pedals nonstop.

It would take the same 3-4 hours commuting by bus and train every day and there will be a lot of arduous open-air (unprotected from the rain/sun) commuting involved... so what's the benefit of transit? Only the poorest people (those that cannot afford cars) will be using public transportation in 15 years. It will not be a desirable demographic to ride among.

Because of low rail ridership figures (who wants to ride with low income people every day?) car ownership costs and transportation related taxes and fees will skyrocket. The govt will do everything in its power to dissuade people from driving commuter cars.

It's going to be very, very expensive to commute by car in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawan View Post
As long as it takes for anything to get done here in Honolulu driverless cars hmm maybe 60 years down the road.
Ummm. No. You can buy a car that drives itself in traffic today. They are becoming very common. Tesla's Model 3 (available in 2 years) will be $35K and will self drive in stop and go traffic. Their current cars do so today. Volvo, Lexus, and most other brands have autonomous capabilities in their current model years. This will advance rapidly over the coming years and will be standard features in all cars in the next 5-7 years.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Can you imagine how much stress would be removed from your day. Heck, I would look forward to traffic if I could read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: