Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,941 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that number should be lower??

Honolulu listed in top 10 cities with the worst traffic in U.S. | KHON2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Really?

On Hawaii News Now this morning the anchors had live the person who did the study and they essentially mocked him the entire time. Traffic is so much worse than a few years ago - 90 minutes from the west side has become the new normal and Hawaii Kai commutes have doubled in my experience with the backup awful by 630. No neighborhoods are immune.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,371 times
There was an article in the Star Advertiser today about this study and when questioned, the firm behind the rankings couldn't identify exactly what areas of Oahu were included in the study. While the study mentions "Honolulu", nobody knows if that only includes the urban core or the whole island or something in between. If it only includes the urban core it's possible that traffic times have diminished, as extra lanes on the H-1 could have possibly helped traffic flow, though I'm not exactly sure when those extra lanes were put in. In my experience I haven't really noticed a difference from two years ago but going from 60 hours wasted to 49 hours in two years seems highly questionable.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
nobody knows if that only includes the urban core or the whole island
I forgot if it was the radio or on the news on TV - but I did hear someone mention it is only "urban core" in the study - so it essentially excludes everyone who really has a commute - urban core is going to exclude the windward side, east side, west side, central....etc, the people who actually have drive times.

I am looking forward to UH Spring Break next week when traffic will be markedly better.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I forgot if it was the radio or on the news on TV - but I did hear someone mention it is only "urban core" in the study - so it essentially excludes everyone who really has a commute - urban core is going to exclude the windward side, east side, west side, central....etc, the people who actually have drive times.

I am looking forward to UH Spring Break next week when traffic will be markedly better.

Yep. Now I can peek out from Ewa abode and make those doctor's appointments in town.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM

430 posts, read 640,556 times
Those studies look at "hours wasted" commuting. That means they compare travel time to travel time without traffic. So spread out places like Oahu have a significant advantage over compact cities with similar or even less traffic

Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Okay, that would make sense. I've never commuted from outside of what I consider urban Honolulu so I can't compare drive times from those other areas over the years (though I've heard they've gotten worse) but I've had the same commute until recently for 8 years and I did notice my drive time to my job in urban Honolulu improved a few minutes in the morning starting a few years ago compared to when I first started. That's the only difference with regard to driving time I've noticed. All other times (ex. coming home, weekend or off-peak weekday driving) are all roughly the same, which means terrible traffic.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM

You guys have yet to get Rail traffic too.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,941 times
Already in the middle of the rail project. That is why the traffic rating should be lower???

Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Already in the middle of the rail project. That is why the traffic rating should be lower???
Haven't been to town for a while, I didn't realize the pillars and stuff were going in. The farthest I saw was HomeDepot area in PC.

Now that they are withdrawing traffic has improved some Ewa/Waipahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: