Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostVector View Post
I have not looked at the Ritz's actual rental program, but 60% is far beyond anything I have seen from a rental program. Are you sure it's not 40% gross to the hotel? Every condo hotel I've seen in Hawaii will make money if you own the condo in cash. I'm not sure how you get to a 0 pct return in a rental program.
40%-60% is standard. Higher end products like the Ritz will command a higher management fee because of a higher staff-to-guest ratio. The budget/standard rate hotels may be in the 40%-50% range but they don't invest nearly the same into the product and service they provide. And don't forget about the name. Branding high-end products costs a lot of dough and that comes out of your pocket via those disproportionate revenue splits.

It's not unheard of to see a 0% CAP on condotels.

Here in Hawaii, real estate is extremely desirable... so this means very low CAP rates for investment property in general. The more desirable the real estate product on Oahu is (i.e. location, condition, age), the lower the CAP rate will be. I can find you an old beat up walk-up building on Aniani Place in Waipahu and tell you the property will see a true 8% CAP. Those are real numbers... but the area is scary... demographics of tenants scary... buildings in a state of disrepair... and very little mid or long-term upside in terms of appreciation. When you get into the really desirable areas and real estate products on Oahu, the CAP rate will plummet.

Any cash buyer of a new higher end condo in the urban core (not condotel) is going to see ~2% (TODAY'S prices) as a typical rate of return (legal long term rental). And this is with the management company taking only 10% (not 60%). If anyone tells you the CAP is higher on these types of properties, they are dishonest realtors or don't fully understand what's involved in real estate investing.

So if 2% is the norm for a higher end condo, 0% for the Ritz is very plausible considering how much of the revenue the hotel is taking and the fact that ALL revenue is subject to TAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 08:13 PM

589 posts, read 390,586 times
If you look real hard you can buy RITZ type condotel on mainland for under $200k. 3-4% ROI. I wont diclose where due to the fact im going after one and i dont want Hawaiians buying up the inventory...............................hahahahaha haha.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

It's not unheard of to see a 0% CAP on condotels.

Kindly show the calculations to get a 0% cap rate. LOL

Old 09-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Kindly show the calculations to get a 0% cap rate. LOL
It's simple really. 0% cap means a free and clear property generates zero cash flow. Believe it or not, a property could also have a negative cap rate.

Cap rates in high demand areas are the lowest in history. Even in the mainland, cap rates are in the 3-3.5% range. Or much less.

Not everyone is lucky like you and bought at the very bottom of the market and made 500% and 20% cap. The rates I'm talking about represent the investment climate for NEW purchases of NEW property made TODAY.

Last edited by pj737; 09-03-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I'm actually not surprised at current prices the Ritz and many condotel properties are at or near 0% cap rates - and condos in general (again at today's prices). Single Family Homes are regularly getting over 5% cap rates even at today's prices for properties that don't require a lot of maintenance

Old 09-03-2016, 08:21 PM

589 posts, read 390,586 times
SFH in HI getting 5%. What ALT universe are you living in? For a single house to make sense, ex $750,000 house would need to rent for a LOT...................hahahaha. Way more than what they actually are getting.

AIRbnbing a condo for 15-20 years might get you a good return over time.............otherwise go out of state!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Can any of you real estate geniuses ACTUALLY show me the calculation to get a 0% cap rate?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's simple really. 0% cap means a free and clear property generates zero cash flow. Believe it or not, a property could also have a negative cap rate.

Even better, show the calculation for a NEGATIVE cap rate. This will be a real hoot.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
It's simple really. 0% cap means a free and clear property generates zero cash flow.

Free and Clear????!!!! And that affects cap rate HOW? I thought some of you guys had actual real estate experience!

What if it had one of them no down VA loans?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Free and Clear????!!!! And that affects cap rate HOW? I thought some of you guys had actual real estate experience!

What if it had one of them no down VA loans?
You clearly have no idea what a cap rate is.

Here is some help for you -

cap rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu