Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:00 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I lived in town, and husband had to run to a store 7.5 miles away during rush hour. He was gone 1.5 hours.

I had a similar story when I had to go pick something up in the same area, and it took the same amount of time. This was Kalihi Valley to Kakaako.

It does not take 1.5 hours of commuting to get from Kalihi Valley to Kakaako round trip during rush hour. Even on a Friday afternoon. He probably just spent 40 minutes in the store... or he has no idea how to navigate downtown during rush hour. There of course could have been a traffic anomaly (accident on the freeway that snarls surface street traffic too). But to claim that to be normal thing is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:14 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjwilliams2000 View Post

I am curious as to what everyone calls a brutal commute. Coming from Atlanta, we've done the 15 mile commutes that take 45 minutes. Dallas (where we are now) is a walk through the park in comparison. When people here complain about traffic, I politely smile and nod and think they don't have a clue. Atlanta and Honolulu seem to be on about the same level, misery wise.

https://www.usnews.com/news/slidesho...america-ranked
Those "studies" are always useless. 49 hours/year average for Oahu? That's only 8 mins a day. People that live in Ewa Beach spend 49 hours a MONTH in traffic. Unless you live right inside the urban core and work inside the urban core, I can't imagine anyone living here spending only 49 hours a year in traffic. I understand that the studies take the normal commute time (sans traffic) out of the equation to get their final numbers... but still... only 8 mins a day in traffic congestion related delays would be a dream for anyone living here.

Our culture is different here... locals are much less tolerant of mainland people of traffic because we live on a tiny rock. We obviously can't do road trips and long journeys by car. We just know from A to B and the distance is always tiny relative to that on the mainland so we have an expectation of short trips and short trips only. When they take longer we become poignantly annoyed. And suburbanization on the West side is a fairly new phenomena (historically) when compared to suburbanization in most mainland cities. That is, we were late in the game in ruining our city with the brilliantly dumb concept of suburbanization. So traffic has gotten progressively worse in a much smaller time frame. Those peeps on the mainland have had a bit more time to get used to it.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM

451 posts, read 413,445 times
Msjwilliams, your very smart move is that you are renting for a period of time prior to considering a purchase. That will give you and your family time to consider some of the aspects of living here, yet unrealized (believe me, there will be many) and as described by the various posters in this thread. Atlanta and Dallas have more in common with each other than either have with Oahu. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 PM

49 posts, read 50,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Msjwilliams, your very smart move is that you are renting for a period of time prior to considering a purchase. That will give you and your family time to consider some of the aspects of living here, yet unrealized (believe me, there will be many) and as described by the various posters in this thread. Atlanta and Dallas have more in common with each other than either have with Oahu. Good luck!
Thank you! Atlanta and Dallas are basically identical as far as cost of living and lifestyle. Atlanta's traffic is terrible but it's much prettier than Dallas, so there's that. I hope no one from Dallas reads this, but it's far and away one of the ugliest cities in the US. Another debate for another forum, I suppose.

Our move is a done deal now and we're committed to a 3 year minimum. I'm really looking forward to it and will say I'm cautiously optimistic that Oahu will be a good fit for us. I'll be sure to come back and update after we've hit our stride and have a better sense of how things will feel long-term. I appreciate you wishing us luck with the move.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Those "studies" are always useless. 49 hours/year average for Oahu? That's only 8 mins a day. People that live in Ewa Beach spend 49 hours a MONTH in traffic. Unless you live right inside the urban core and work inside the urban core, I can't imagine anyone living here spending only 49 hours a year in traffic. I understand that the studies take the normal commute time (sans traffic) out of the equation to get their final numbers... but still... only 8 mins a day in traffic congestion related delays would be a dream for anyone living here.

Our culture is different here... locals are much less tolerant of mainland people of traffic because we live on a tiny rock. We obviously can't do road trips and long journeys by car. We just know from A to B and the distance is always tiny relative to that on the mainland so we have an expectation of short trips and short trips only. When they take longer we become poignantly annoyed. And suburbanization on the West side is a fairly new phenomena (historically) when compared to suburbanization in most mainland cities. That is, we were late in the game in ruining our city with the brilliantly dumb concept of suburbanization. So traffic has gotten progressively worse in a much smaller time frame. Those peeps on the mainland have had a bit more time to get used to it.
That makes a lot of sense. Suburban sprawl and all its woes is nothing new on the mainland, so we're accustomed to sitting in our cars for ridiculous amounts of time. I can see how it's easy to become annoyed when it takes forever to travel a few miles. Some people suggested Ewa Beach to us but the lure of extra square footage wasn't enough to outweigh the commute.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
It does not take 1.5 hours of commuting to get from Kalihi Valley to Kakaako round trip during rush hour. Even on a Friday afternoon. He probably just spent 40 minutes in the store... or he has no idea how to navigate downtown during rush hour. There of course could have been a traffic anomaly (accident on the freeway that snarls surface street traffic too). But to claim that to be normal thing is ridiculous.
Like I said, I had a similar drive myself. And that is all I claimed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 PM

70 posts, read 98,834 times
I've been watching the real estate market in Kailua for about a year, and did actual house hunting trip at the beginning of the year. I concur that you will find very little in the area for your purchase budget. There have been some 2 bedrooms in the older buildings, but not many 3 bedrooms. Well, we looked at a spacious 3 bedroom condo for $650,000, but it was a total gut job.

We ruled out Hawaii Kai early on due to the commute for my wife, but the little I looked it did appear to have more and nicer places available (though I was looking in a slightly higher price range).

You are in a great position. With your husband's job, if Oahu turns out not to be all you dreamed, you can head back to the mainland in a few years. Hopefully on the government's dime.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow View Post
I've been watching the real estate market in Kailua for about a year, and did actual house hunting trip at the beginning of the year. I concur that you will find very little in the area for your purchase budget. There have been some 2 bedrooms in the older buildings, but not many 3 bedrooms. Well, we looked at a spacious 3 bedroom condo for $650,000, but it was a total gut job.

We ruled out Hawaii Kai early on due to the commute for my wife, but the little I looked it did appear to have more and nicer places available (though I was looking in a slightly higher price range).

You are in a great position. With your husband's job, if Oahu turns out not to be all you dreamed, you can head back to the mainland in a few years. Hopefully on the government's dime.
Thanks for the info! Yes, the move is free both going and coming, which makes everything much easier/cheaper for us.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Let's see - this morning per google maps 7:10am

555 Hahaione to 1001 Bishop : 39 minutes
419 Kailua Rd to same : 32 minutes (or nearly 20% better)

I'd venture to say the commute from Kailua to downtown is better 90% of the time in the mornings rather than Hawaii Kai when UH is in session assuming no major accidents on either route

Old 04-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's see - this morning per google maps 7:10am

555 Hahaione to 1001 Bishop : 39 minutes
419 Kailua Rd to same : 32 minutes (or nearly 20% better)

I'd venture to say the commute from Kailua to downtown is better 90% of the time in the mornings rather than Hawaii Kai when UH is in session assuming no major accidents on either route
Thanks, Whtviper1-very helpful info. 32 minutes would be cutting his current time by nearly 50%. I'm still drinking the Hawaii Kai Kool-Aid thanks to his co-workers, but either way the commute time doesn't look as bad as what he's doing now. Any tips on finding good leads on rental properties? I know of CraigsList and local MLS searches. Didn't see a whole lot in the Star Advertiser and can't think of any other places to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu