Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimuki Kid View Post
I know tons of local places that closed because the landowners could get more money from a corporate owned business or a condo then a local owner.
Why do you think that happened, better businesses or just preferred by the population?

Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 5,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Why do you think that happened, better businesses or just preferred by the population?
No not really better business but deeper pockets. I agree that some of the old local stuff is gone because it was preferred by the population. But the funny thing about marketing and public opinion is, it can be manipulated with good marketing. I remember growing up and being told by tv what will make me happy or what values to follow. For example

Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Quote:
Be careful your mainland thinking is showing.
Do you have a definition for that? And why anyone should be careful about showing it?
Anyway it is difficult to put a profitable business out of business. The thing I see with mom and pops everywhere is that the younger generation does not want to continue the business so it dies with the parents retirement or death.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
You do understand what you said is faulty thinking right? I know tons of local places that closed because the landowners could get more money from a corporate owned business or a condo then a local owner. Some places still very popular. Be careful your mainland thinking is showing.
HonoBob was speaking about the International Marketplace specifically and we should stick to that.

The now "old IMP" was a place who's time had come and gone. The owners of the land have an obligation to the people of Hawaii to use that land to its highest and best use.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 5,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
HonoBob was speaking about the International Marketplace specifically and we should stick to that.

The now "old IMP" was a place who's time had come and gone. The owners of the land have an obligation to the people of Hawaii to use that land to its highest and best use.
Ok uncle i understand that some rents on the new international market place goes to creating a sustainable income source for The Queen's Medical Center which helps people of Hawai'i. But if we look deeper beyond the surface what would we see? Could you say that this is exactly like how HART rail was sold to people? It will help people of Oahu? When stats show less then 7% of the population will even use it. Looking beyond the surface, we would see that the benefit of HART and the new international market place is really future developers and international highend corporate owned business. Its great some rents are helping hawaii people. But the spirit of intent is not on bettering people, nt pono right?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
It will help people of Oahu?
Benefits Queens

Creates a lot jobs

Generates a lot of taxes by tourist spending and taxes on income.

Come on HBH, don't be so naive.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Ok uncle i understand that some rents on the new international market place goes to creating a sustainable income source for The Queen's Medical Center which helps people of Hawai'i. But if we look deeper beyond the surface what would we see? Could you say that this is exactly like how HART rail was sold to people?
Why can't you stay on topic?

The Queen Emma Land Co. has a specific fiduciary duty to fulfill.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Opening night or not - I don't buy 4.5 hours for dinner. It's not a big place. I'd say it took 30 minutes for our steak to come out - even if you triple it for opening you still have a huge buffer.
I've literally had HUNDREDS of pau hanas in my day (yes, I love to eat and drink) that start at 5 p.m. and end after 10 p.m. 5+ hours eating and drinking is very much normal for myself and the group of friends I hang out with.

But of course the people you hang with are thoroughly done with your conversations after 30 minutes... so yes, 3 hours... PLENTY.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Whoa whoa whoa Oriental Boy! See the start of where YOU quoted ME ? "If you are defining local as someone fat and lazy . Read that a couple of times and see if you can understand how it is not ME generalizing. You are the one insisting "locals" only roll out of their SUV's at the door because they can't walk 12 minutes from the Zoo parking lot.

Do you see how there are REAL people right HERE on this forum calling YOU out?!
The insanity reaches a whole new level of absurdity.

I obviously meant that "locals" clearly represent ANYONE BUT TOURISTS. No need to artificially cover up your disgust for the indigenous people of Hawaii. It's quite glaringly obvious.

I'm still in shock that you, viper and other fellow clueless minions think walking well over a mile round trip to go shopping at a luxury mall or eat at a fine-dining restaurant is acceptable by most people. Particularly when people circle for 20 minutes looking for a parking stall in Ala Moana when the rooftop parking on the DH wing by Ala Moana Hotel/Macy's is always half vacant. Shoppers at Ala Moana won't walk 500 feet to do their shopping but they'll surely walk 3,000 ft for the IMP.

I love the absurdity on these forums... keep it coming!!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Why quote a press release from 2013 when it has bad information?

Here is the parking from the current site.

Royal Hawaiian Center Parking

The rates at RHC and IMP are identical; with validation, 1st hour free, $2 hour 2, $2 hour three and $6 per hour there after ($2 every 20 minutes).

If the rates are the same, they're both equally rip offs. If you end up paying nearly $30 for parking after legitimately spending $$$ and time at their property, they are both taking you for a bath.

I attended a wonderful event today at the Sheraton. Spent well over 9 hours at the project and paid $8 with validation. That same stay at the IMP would have cost me $46. I wonder how they do it when their parking is in MUCH higher demand than the IMP?

Total long shot here... but I'm guessing it's because they strive to provide better customer service... but what would you know? You clearly think ripping people off for parking is totally acceptable.

Last edited by pj737; 09-11-2016 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu