Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times

Advertisements

OMG, we just arrived in Honolulu, drove to our hotel in Waikiki... Man, am I glad we are moving to Kaua'i!!! This place is amazing. I mean, I knew I didn't want to live in a big city, but I hadn't been to Honolulu (except the airport) in 30 years. I am blown away... so many huge buildings, businesses, PEOPLE! How can anybody live here??? (I know, I felt the same way about Manhattan, but this is like Manhattan and all the tacky seashore tourist places combined!) Sorry for all the exclamation points. Hey, a lot of people must love it, but if you are a country bumpkin like me, be prepared if you have to come over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
OMG, we just arrived in Honolulu, drove to our hotel in Waikiki... Man, am I glad we are moving to Kaua'i!!! This place is amazing. I mean, I knew I didn't want to live in a big city, but I hadn't been to Honolulu (except the airport) in 30 years. I am blown away... so many huge buildings, businesses, PEOPLE! How can anybody live here??? (I know, I felt the same way about Manhattan, but this is like Manhattan and all the tacky seashore tourist places combined!) Sorry for all the exclamation points. Hey, a lot of people must love it, but if you are a country bumpkin like me, be prepared if you have to come over here.

We live in Kailua (Oahu), and we're talking about taking a few days vacation in Waikiki.

We'll keep you posted.

Hank

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 18,903 times
I understand what you mean. I just moved to Honolulu from Texas and it is taking some adjusting for me.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
We visited from Hilo over Christmas...and were excited for the change of pace!

But I must add that I've always believed that people who visit Oahu and never leave Waikiki miss out on a lot of what that island has to offer. Waikiki can be fun for a few days, but there are lots of treasures outside the tourist district!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 36,573 times
Honolulu has the drawbacks I dislike in all cities, but at least it's Hawaii and the rest of Oahu is surprisingly nice. I wish I were moving to Kauai, but I lack the funding and island contacts. Can I ask you where this multi-unit property you bought is and what it consists of?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
I am an urban person and I love Honolulu. Multicultural, energetic , and all perched next to a the blue,blue sea and mountains. I like it. Just a hop skip and a jump to quieter areas. To each their own I guess.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,522 times
have fun in kauai

Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
I think Waikiki is great!!! In small doses....It is what it is, a major tourist destination with all the appropriate trimmings. Used to take my construction crew to lunch every once in a while at the Shorebird, right on the beach, quite a spot!!!! For a real treat, check out the old photos of Waikiki back in the 20's, Royal Hawaiian and the Ala Moana Hotel are pretty much it for the entire beach!! Now that must have been fun!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,536 times
just had dinner at beachhouse restaurant, moana surfrider hotel, waikiki last night. it was just before sunset. people still swimming and surfers still catching waves. we sat on the veranda. the company was great and so was the hawaiian music. as far as the food?! well, not the greatest! spent $300 on the three of us and headed back to beautiful kailua. if you want ambience, it was there. if you want really good steak, go to morton's or ruth's chris.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:42 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Ahh the memories of Waikiki those names stir up fond ones..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu