Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 32,722 times

Advertisements

Then your best bet would be Kalihi, Salt Lake, Aiea, Pearl City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 PM

210 posts, read 972,930 times
Guys, $50K for a family is not enough in Hawaii! it is expensive! I suggest you only go if you get offered good money, it is much more expensive then the mainland, and you will have to fly back and forth to the mainland. Living is paradise and being broke is not fun!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
The most important thing to do for anyone planning to move and buy a home in Oahu is to find out how much home you can afford. You need to check with a home mortgage officer, probably one from Hawaii because they are more aware of the cost of living in the Island. Depending on how much you can qualify for, you will be able to tell where you can buy a home that fits your needs. The closer to town the more expensive it is. The west side of Oahu is the least expensive, mostly newer subdivisions but coming to town could be challenging.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 PM

52 posts, read 196,688 times
Aloha! Could you give us a suggestion were to live? We are almost 100% set on Oahu we were thinking about BI but not as many jobs there. We are a family of three the baby is two. We would like something small and clean with a spot to grow food. Under$900 would be nice but the most $1200
close to a nice beach and near stores. Were would u recomend?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM

I would suggest looking at rentalsillustrated.com, honoluluadvertiser.com and craigslist.com. These sites will more than likely give you the best idea of what you'd possibly like to live in and could afford. If you're looking for a place where you could grow food, then you're narrowing down your options, based on the fact that you would need some kind of yard or at least a decent patio (provided the Homeowner's Association allows it).

Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM

Oops! Forgot to mention:

With gas prices rising, commuting time would probably need to be considered into where you would live and where you work.

Also, stores and beaches are close to almost everywhere on Oahu. But again, keep in mind the commuting to jobs/school. Basically areas that you can look would be Waikiki, Downtown Honolulu, Nuuanu, Kalihi, Salt Lake, Aiea, Pearl City, Waipahu, Ewa (I don't recommend this neighborhood based on the traffic), Makakilo, Kapolei, Kaneohe, Kailua.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
I was offered a job by the navy in Honolulu. It pays 50k a year . I have 3 kids under 5 and a wife. Is there and housing for people like me? Meaning renting homes cost? 3 bed would be nice in a safe for White family area. I have been to Hawaii 3 times and was always told to be careful . you can get jumped.. I am only asking.
Interesting how the white guy who makes $50K a year thinks he's a crime target. I made $50k over 20 yrs ago at my first job. Not impressive. There are plenty of people in Hawaii who are more affluent and non-white that have more to worry about than this guy. Crime doesn't affect a particular race, it's a people problem, not a race problem. If you're a scared racist thinking everyone wants what you got, then you think way to highly of yourself. Hawaii doesn't need racist people like him.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

201 posts, read 824,008 times
Thats from like 2 years ago....

Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,521,029 times
Quote:
I was offered a job by the navy in Honolulu. It pays 50k a year . I have 3 kids under 5 and a wife. Is there and housing for people like me? Meaning renting homes cost? 3 bed would be nice in a safe for White family area. I have been to Hawaii 3 times and was always told to be careful . you can get jumped.. I am only asking.
You will starve with 50K a year. Dont be naive. Rentals are easily 2000-2500 for safe doable homes/apts.
Are you in the Navy? If so, go housing.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM

314 posts, read 189,998 times
Quote:
How many 50K jobs will you and your family be having at the same time so as to be able to live reasonably?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu