Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times

Advertisements

Aloha my friends!

Another haole wanting to move to Hawaii. I know, you hate me already. The good news is that I'm brown with green eyes and every single time I visited the islands, I was treated nice by the locals. Maybe they liked my brownness, maybe they were putting on a show. Who knows. One time when I visited Maui and spoke with a local on a boat for 2 hours straight, he invited me to BBQ with his family. Maybe I'm just a nice person.

Anyway, I have started putting on a plan to move out there. I'm a software engineer with 8+ years of experience. It's just me moving out there. If I were there already, I don't think it would be very difficult for me to find a job. I looked up jobs in several job search engines and there seems to be a good amount of tech jobs in Oahu.

Finding a job while NOT being there is the problem. This is why I think I'm going to have to make a move first. I know.

Basically what I'm planning on doing is this:

1. Rent out my condo furnished and leave anything small the renter will want (such as pots, pans, etc). Things he/she will not want to keep I will either throw away or put in storage here in LA (if it's worth putting in storage that is).

2. Take all the essentials with me. It's basically my computer, tools, clothes/shoes, valuables & some small bathroom & kitchen stuff. This will be two big suitcases, a small one, two backpacks and about 10 boxes that I will ship via USPS. It looks like if I were to ship 10 boxes at 50lbs each, it'll be about $99 each. So about 1,000 to ship everything. Shouldn't be too bad. I'll use the option to hold the boxes until I'm ready to pick them up (when my car arrives and I have a place to live).

3. Ship my car and then head out there.

4. Once there, I'll probably stay at a hostel for a month as I look for a job. I'm probably going to have to rent a car for a week as my car travels across the pacific. I already have connections with recruiters out there, by the way.

Question: What if I get a job and I'm still at a hostel? What address am I gonna use for work?

5. Finally get a job. Start looking for a room for rent. Will probably rent a room at somebody's house/apartment for the first year. This will save me tons of money and I have plenty of time to figure out what areas will be best for me. Although, I know the island pretty well and would probably want to live in Kailua. BUT! It's always good to live close to work so I'm probably going to end up living in Honolulu. We'll see.

My salary right now is around 125k/yr.

I'm well aware I'm going to have to take a pay cut for this. I spoke with the recruiter and he thinks I can push it to about 100k/yr.

As far as the money I'll spend on the move:

1. Shipping car - 1,100
2. Shipping boxes - 1,100
3. Sending myself - 800
4. One week car rental - 400
5. One month hostel - 1,100 (now that I think about it, it'll probably be cheaper to just find a room to rent for 6 months... it'll be much cheaper than the hostel option).
*6. IF I end up leaving a few things in storage in LA - $90 (per month)

Total: 4,500

Renting my condo alone will get me 3,000 (as security deposit).

4,500 - 3,000 = 1,500. So this will be my "out of pocket" expense for the initial move.

I have plenty of money in the bank so this should be a breeze.

The only thing I'm worried about is how long it'll take for me to land a job. Anywhere on the mainland it's easy to get an IT job but Hawaii is a lot different. I think I can go about 6 months without a job while being there. I think this will be more than enough time to find a job. Even if I don't find the "right" job initially, I can always work some crappy job so I have some type of income as I look for the real job.

Am I missing anything?

Wish me luck

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 03-10-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Question: What if I get a job and I'm still at a hostel? What address am I gonna use for work?
The hostel. You need a valid address (not a PO Box) when filling out the tax forms, etc. Change the address when you move.

Quote:
Even if I don't find the "right" job initially, I can always work some crappy job so I have some type of income as I look for the real job.
Lots of crappy people looking for equally crappy jobs here. The bulk of jobs here is all about who you know - if you really want to get a job quickly, make friends quickly - get in the tech after work parties, etc. That will go much further than a recruiter or job board.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
- One time when I visited Maui and spoke with a local on a boat for 2 hours straight, he invited me to BBQ with his family.

hate to stereotype, but that is how maui people are. It's not fake or for a show.

- Finding a job while NOT being there is the problem. This is why I think I'm going to have to make a move first. I know.

Probably should attempt to find a job or at least get solid leads for a job before moving. You're in IT, they should be willing to Skype or do phone interviews. Don't assume. It's easy to find "a job", a lot harder to find a decent job in your profession that pays reasonably well.

Your other points are generally pretty good!

Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times
Quote:
I have plenty of money in the bank so this should be a breeze.
That is the single most important thing in your plan. The more you have saved, the more likely your move will be successful. Things don't always go as planned around here.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
How certain are you that you can get $100K as a software developer in Hawaii? Generally, the compensation is very low in Hawaii. I also work in IT, also making six figures, like you, and I'd probably take a 50% cut (or more of a cut) working in Hawaii. I've also heard from many sources, that it's who you know, or are connected to, rather than what you know. Hiring the most talented person for the job may not be the case in Hawaii. You also risk being employed by a horrible employer. There are many companies that I would choose to never consider working, because those companies have a hostile work environment. All employers are not the same!

If you've been researching Hawaii for awhile, you'll already know that $100K doesn't go that far in Hawaii. Some people really struggle when they are making $100K in Hawaii, which is rare income level in Hawaii, but with 8 years experience, it's pretty easy to get six figures on the mainland.

You should also think about your long term financial goals. The younger you are, the more the impact you'll have in the long run accumulating wealth. If you lived in Hawaii, struggling on $100K income, you might not be able to save much money. If you lived in a different location, with lower costs, but high income, you could live below your means, and save a lot of money. You could have a net worth of over $1M within two decades. Depending on your investments, you may get to $1M quicker. The first million is the hardest, just like many people say. After the first million, you can accumulate wealth at a quicker rate. If you're not burning up all your money, living in a high cost area and working cheap, it's hard to accumulate wealth for your long term goals. But some people don't have long term financial goals.

I know people who work in IT and don't save any money, and they always seem to be broke with their credit cards tapped out! I also know people who do save a lot of money, including myself. being totally debt free. You could have a goal where you can retire early, and work is an option in the future, not a requirement, that gives you an unbelievable amount of personal financial freedom. You could move to Hawaii and try to find an IT job. You might be severely disappointed with your earning potential in Hawaii, and tap out your savings faster than you are estimating if you live in a high cost area, without a high income. Maybe you could live in Hawaii, but not long term. Think about your long term financial future. The distant future will catch up on you a lot faster than you think it will!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
How certain are you that you can get $100K as a software developer in Hawaii? Generally, the compensation is very low in Hawaii. I also work in IT, also making six figures, like you, and I'd probably take a 50% cut (or more of a cut) working in Hawaii. I've also heard from many sources, that it's who you know, or are connected to, rather than what you know. Hiring the most talented person for the job may not be the case in Hawaii. You also risk being employed by a horrible employer. There are many companies that I would choose to never consider working, because those companies have a hostile work environment. All employers are not the same!

If you've been researching Hawaii for awhile, you'll already know that $100K doesn't go that far in Hawaii. Some people really struggle when they are making $100K in Hawaii, which is rare income level in Hawaii, but with 8 years experience, it's pretty easy to get six figures on the mainland.

You should also think about your long term financial goals. The younger you are, the more the impact you'll have in the long run accumulating wealth. If you lived in Hawaii, struggling on $100K income, you might not be able to save much money. If you lived in a different location, with lower costs, but high income, you could live below your means, and save a lot of money. You could have a net worth of over $1M within two decades. Depending on your investments, you may get to $1M quicker. The first million is the hardest, just like many people say. After the first million, you can accumulate wealth at a quicker rate. If you're not burning up all your money, living in a high cost area and working cheap, it's hard to accumulate wealth for your long term goals. But some people don't have long term financial goals.

I know people who work in IT and don't save any money, and they always seem to be broke with their credit cards tapped out! I also know people who do save a lot of money, including myself. being totally debt free. You could have a goal where you can retire early, and work is an option in the future, not a requirement, that gives you an unbelievable amount of personal financial freedom. You could move to Hawaii and try to find an IT job. You might be severely disappointed with your earning potential in Hawaii, and tap out your savings faster than you are estimating if you live in a high cost area, without a high income. Maybe you could live in Hawaii, but not long term. Think about your long term financial future. The distant future will catch up on you a lot faster than you think it will!
good stuff my friend.

another option I had was to find a 100% telecommute job. these are a bit tough to find as well.

grrrrr, guess I just need to sell everything and start a business out there. lol.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
I will agree with Davephan (which isn't often) that a $100K+ software developer position local in Hawaii is rare to practically non-existent.

Mid level developers are around $60-70K - senior in the $80-$85K range. Project Managers generally $80-$90K and managers a bit more. Some small bonuses here and there. There are some outliers both directions.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:46 PM

293 posts, read 362,305 times
I was just going to suggest a telecommute job. Find one on CONUS and do it from the islands. good luck.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:44 AM

62 posts, read 84,847 times
To be honest I couldn't even finish reading your post. I'm a haole transplant with over 15 years experience in IT and currently living on Oahu. I would love to know where the demand for IT haoles exist on the Islands because I've been looking for a very long time. Getting an interview has been like winning the lottery! Everyone's situation is different, but all I have to say is: You'd better have some outstanding tech skills to offer because you are going to need to really impress a company willing to talk to, much less trust investing in a typical mainland tranplant Hawaii beach dreamer who might just get homesick and leave in two years.

Nevertheless, enjoy your extended vacation while spending through your saved cash like its attached to a fire hose! It goes fast, so be sure to set aside enough money for a flight home.

Last edited by oceanus; 03-11-2017 at 02:05 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I will agree with Davephan (which isn't often) that a $100K+ software developer position local in Hawaii is rare to practically non-existent.

Mid level developers are around $60-70K - senior in the $80-$85K range. Project Managers generally $80-$90K and managers a bit more. Some small bonuses here and there. There are some outliers both directions.
On the bright side, that income level is more than enough for a single individual to do reasonably well living in hawaii. As long as you're not disabled with a wife that doesnt work and 3-4 kids (not trying to make fun of the other poster) that income level is perfectly fine.

As dave mentioned, you can save a lot more money if you stay on the mainland. At some point, your savings may be so high, you can buy a rental property here or even buy a house outright, then move here whenever you're ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu