Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
With a 5,000 square foot lot and a two story house on the lot I am thinking you could get a home with a front and back yard if you wanted. Then again that would depend on what the developer built I guess. Because of land values here in Southern California many builders started building homes on smaller lots and a small front yard and maybe a 60 X 20 back yard.
But how big is the parcel of land?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But how big is the parcel of land?
If the lot is 5,000 square feet wouldn't the partial of land be 5,000 square feet?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:38 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If the lot is 5,000 square feet wouldn't the partial of land be 5,000 square feet?
You said

With a 5,000 square foot lot and a two story house on the lot I am thinking you could get a home with a front and back yard if you wanted. Then again that would depend on what the developer built I guess. Because of land values here in Southern California many builders started building homes on smaller lots and a small front yard and maybe a 60 X 20 back yard.

And that's why I was asking what is "smaller?"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM

312 posts, read 1,640,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post
We are considering a move from the Midwest to Oahu - and are specifically interested in the Mililani area. We currently have a "large" backyard (less than 1/4 acre) and noticed while looking online at houses that many have very little by way of yard - like a tiny alley... Before we make the leap, this is something big for us to consider - we have 3 very active, very outdoorsy kids that love to play outside. I am wondering what people do? Where do the kids play after school? No playsets, nowhere to kick a soccer ball? We are trying to be very realistic and consider all the details. Very curious to hear from any parents of kids from 4-11 and what they do?
A lot of kids play sports to keep active, typically there are practice/games on weekdays and weekends. You can also spend time at a local park after school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post
We are actually leaning toward Kapolei at this point as it seems you get more for your $ and even a yard - I'm wondering, since the area is "up and coming" and whatnot, I wonder how the schools I'll fare? Seems there is a good student/teacher ratio now (far better than our schools currently) but the "scores" are low...then you read actual reviews by parents saying they were pleasantly surprised by the actual quality of the schools? (Kapolei)

Currently we live in an area that I could never expect to replace the amount of yard - anywhere.... I just found it surprising to see basically a paved alleyway between neighbors in Mililani. Seems in Kapolei you have a little more?

And yes as I understand you are basically going against the work time traffic so the commute from Mililani to Kapolei is not bad (currently used to 25-45 min depending on traffic and weather) but I think we are really looking more toward Kapolei or Ewa beach at this point....
The public school system is not good in Hawaii. I would focus my house search based on the schools. Mililani has better schools than Kapolei and Ewa Beach. If you are looking in Kapolei, look for a home in the Hookele school district. If you are looking in Ewa, look for a home in the Holomua school district.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
From my understanding, you either have to lower your standards, be patient, or be rich if you want a nice place in Hawaii regardless of what area it's in.
I think you need to lower your standards, be patient, and be rich.

I grew up in a "well to-do" town on the mainland, and that set my expectations for what types of houses and properties you get for your money. I figured I'd have to spend close to - but still under - $1 million to find a property like I grew up in. My wife and I have been looking around and we've had to revise our estimates to be closer to (if not slightly over) $2 million. Expectations are the root of unhappiness, I suppose... but that's crazy to me. The houses are pretty nice at that price, I'll give them that, but the properties still have little to no yard space. And perhaps it need not be said, but just to vent a bit more frustration, you get a heck of a lot more if you look at the properties in my old town at that price range...

Just for fun, I tried to find out how much a house with the property I'd want would cost. I found one for $8 million (way, way out of my price range), but that's not to say that all $8 million properties are like that. Those and even more expensive properties tend to have fantastic houses, but the yards are still lacking. There just isn't much space here.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 PM

69 posts, read 77,345 times
I live in a 3800 square foot house 1.5 blocks from the ocean with a big back and front yard on the Big Island. We paid under $250,000 for five bedrooms and four baths. The house is only 7 years old. I can not fathom why people would choose to live on Oahu with all of that traffic where you can live in rural Hawaii on this Island.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisambas1 View Post
I live in a 3800 square foot house 1.5 blocks from the ocean with a big back and front yard on the Big Island. We paid under $250,000 for five bedrooms and four baths. The house is only 7 years old. I can not fathom why people would choose to live on Oahu with all of that traffic where you can live in rural Hawaii on this Island.
Jobs and/or family.

If they were able to build some sort of floating bridge system I'd probably choose to live on one of the outer islands and would commute to Oahu, rather than live here.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
I can not fathom why people would choose to live on Oahu with all of that traffic where you can live in rural Hawaii on this Island.
And many of us cannot fathom why anyone would want to live rural anywhere......

Many people actually enjoy city living - the people, nightlife, restaurants, concerts, theater, movies, shopping, the social aspect, etc.....

Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,004 times
dang...doesn't this ^sound like something out of 'Greeeeen Acres??

Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:

I live smack dab in the middle of the urban core of Honolulu and I would never ever think of moving. This so called "traffic" you speak of... doesn't bother me one bit as I never have the need to drive more than a handful of miles per day. Further, if I don't want to deal with finding parking or plan to have a few drinks, Uber and Lyft are at my driveway within 3-4 mins of clicking my phone screen. Or I can hope on my bike. Being trapped in a ginormous home far from society is downright depressing to me. But I can fully respect why people want to live away from it all. To each his own.

But the main reason why I'm responding to your post... I'm curious as to how one can buy an almost new 3,800 SF home (w/4 bathrooms) for $250,000 in Hawaii? Clearly, the previous owner who built the home incurred a significant loss. It's great that you got a good deal but I would not want to live in an area where home prices are so volatile (or depressed) that homeowners could potentially end up taking such a horrific bath on their investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu