Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 6,724 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from the Midwest to Oahu - and are specifically interested in the Mililani area. We currently have a "large" backyard (less than 1/4 acre) and noticed while looking online at houses that many have very little by way of yard - like a tiny alley... Before we make the leap, this is something big for us to consider - we have 3 very active, very outdoorsy kids that love to play outside. I am wondering what people do? Where do the kids play after school? No playsets, nowhere to kick a soccer ball? We are trying to be very realistic and consider all the details. Very curious to hear from any parents of kids from 4-11 and what they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 02:05 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,604,206 times
I know it sounds sarcastic, but it's honest, wait 'til your kids are grown, and move in your 40's or 50's, be fair to them. Please.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Not only the yard, but most likely the entire house may be smaller than you're used to. As for what the kids do, they play in the driveways or go the the park or the beach.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
or play on the sidewalk or in the streets. not many houses in hawaii have a large enough yard for growing kids to play.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:04 AM

62 posts, read 84,847 times
As they say: You won't be in Kansas anymore...

Small yards, small houses, heavy traffic, high prices. That's what happens when almost a million people try to live on a small remote island, especially one with multiple military bases, and lots of goverment property that is off limits to civilians.

Hopefully you are either a millionare or will have a household income over $100k. With kids, you are going to need every penny to live comfortably. Hopefully you have also researched the school system and are comfortable with its national ratings. Personally I would not try to raise kids here.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
OP, why Mililani specifically? Have you checked out the schools there? If not, I think that would be your first priority. Much more important than the size of lots.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,724 times
Mililani specifically because of the research I have done on schools- they appear to be top ranked in that area- at least for the state- am I wrong? We are not in a place where we could do private school, but of course would like the best available public options within an area that isn't like 7.2M for a studio.
Husbands job would be in Kapolei, I work from home remotely. I understand the schools are not as good there, but you get more house for your $.
I very much understand the smaller house part and am actually very much looking forward to the possibility of a downsize.

As far as "move later" - this is a job transfer opportunity- so we are looking into it now vs later.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM

24,715 posts, read 9,518,969 times
From my understanding, you either have to lower your standards, be patient, or be rich if you want a nice place in Hawaii regardless of what area it's in. There's so many foreign investors buying up property as investments/rental/vacation homes.

For my current place in Aiea, I had to be lucky with good timing because even though the old tenants just moved out, there was still a long list of potential renters ready to move in as soon as the owner put it up for rent.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post

As far as "move later" - this is a job transfer opportunity- so we are looking into it now vs later.
If you have to live in Mililani and work in Kapolei it isn't exactly an "opportunity "

Old 04-08-2017, 12:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
or play on the sidewalk or in the streets. not many houses in hawaii have a large enough yard for growing kids to play.
well, if you watch Hawaii 50 it would appear as though everyone lives in Kahala...and has a big backyard..and an Ocean a few front of the house.. :-)

Lots of people have basements too..that is so the bad guys can tie up their captives..I only saw basements up around Mikiki..

While we are on the subject..it seems that HPD and the prison Corrections officers lose about 3 people an episode...Kind of an exceedly risky job...with a high turnover rate.

I visited HPD back in 1992.. as a NJ LEO..I spent the day with them taking notes for an article I was writing..spent the next day with Welfare Fraud Investigators..pretty cool time I had.

I think one of the Welfare Investigators got yelled at by a 'baby mommy' ...it was a tense moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu