Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,263 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone knows how it works I been reading threads and discussions about this topic but couldn't find no definite answers. I have a lifted truck that needs recon but to register the vehicle it needs a safety check. So without the safety I can't get it registered and without the recon I can get the safety.so my question is, can I go and get a failed safety ,take that slip to the DMV and will they accept that to renew my registration? Then do I have to go to get my truck inspected by the recon people. and assuming my truck passes recon inspection, go back to where I got the failed safety inspection and get valid safety check? Can anyone help me ? Any advice will be appreciated..

Last edited by 02exterra; 04-18-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I suspect this is not uncommon with all the military that comes here and "lifts" the trucks

First, you can't register with failed safety.

I've got to think you take the failed safety to the reconstructed vehicle inspection site - they do their thing - then pass safety - then register. I guess worse case you get a mechanic to remove the modification

Call the reconstruction vehicle site at 808-768-2542.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
you need the conditional safety pass before registering. Then go back to the safety or recon station to get your sticker (once they see your registration)

Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
you need the conditional safety pass before registering. Then go back to the safety or recon station to get your sticker (once they see your registration)

Thanks for the info guys..rya96797 where do I get that conditional safety pass? Would that be wherever I do the safety at? Thanks again for your guys response

Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02exterra View Post
Thanks for the info guys..rya96797 where do I get that conditional safety pass? Would that be wherever I do the safety at? Thanks again for your guys response
that is correct. Instead of issuing your safety check sticker and the form stating you passed the safety check, they'll give you a form showing you passed everything except for registration. I think that form is actually the same failed form you got, but instead of fail, it shows you passed conditionally. You bring that to get your registration.

the safety check station/recon station should be very familiar with the process and should be able to help if you have questions. I know the process is pretty cumbersome, making the owner drive back and forth between the city hall and the safety check location, but this is the state of Hawaii govt we're talking about here.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM

also, depending on the type of lift, the amount of lift, and if your tires stick out beyond the fenderwalls, you might be better off converting back to stock-ish (to pass safety check, and avoid recon altogether), then reinstalling the aftermarket stuff after you pass safety (if you wish). If you reinstall, you'll probably have issues every year you get safety.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post

This one ^^^. I think it is good for 30 days.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks again for the info..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu