Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

Do I have this right? You're moving to Oahu without a job or any knowledge of the Island? You should take an exploratory trip to check on, among other things, your chances of employment. Social work jobs don't pay well in HI. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Waikiki isn't bad as a place to live, it is cheaper than Downtown. Kaka'ako is a nice place right now.

No way would I live in Hawaii Kai as a young single.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
it is cheaper than Downtown. Kaka'ako is a nice place right now.

No way would I live in Hawaii Kai as a young single.
Huh to essentially all of that. Downtown is cheaper and lots and lots of youngsters in Hawaii Kai.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:08 PM

293 posts, read 361,468 times
Thanks Viper, I knew where it was having been to it. I just couldn't recall the name of the town/community. I first went to it when it when it first opened years ago. It's a nice stop over for anyone.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:05 AM

10 posts, read 18,569 times
Hawaii Kai is 7 miles from Honolulu. Traffic is insane in the morning going from Hawaii Kai to Honolulu and will take you 15-20 longer from 06:30-8:30 am M-F. It is the same going home from 3:30pm- 6:00pm.

I know people who have moved from Hawaii Kai to Kaimuki just to get away from Kalanianaole Highway. There's only one way in and out to Hawaii Kai.
The good stuff is is that Hawaii Kai is the only boating community on the island. A lot of places are on the water and have water access. It is also a really nice upper scale community near Hanauma and Koko Head.

Waikiki is typically what mainland people think of when they move to Hawaii. The reality is is there is no street parking and it takes an addition 15 min to get into Waikiki during rush hour. There are only a few streets leading into Waikiki and I would not want to commute there everyday to live.

If you want to become local and live with the local people then don't move to Waikiki.

Kaimuki is a great upcoming area that is centrally located near town. East Oahu is the richest area in the state and is the best location to the city. Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
yup,
it is hard to believe that Hawaii Kai is only 7 miles away from Honolulu..
I would drive my bro and SIL to work when I was there just to give them a break..

The morning commute is hell on Kalanianaole...
Returning to HK is a bit of a nicer ride..you day is done and you get some real pretty vistas after Hanuama.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
After Hanauma Bay, you'd be past Hawaii Kai and heading off to Waimanalo, though wouldn't you? Living in Hawaii Kai if her employment were in 'Nalo, Kailua or somewhere that direction from Hawaii Kai would make for a much more scenic commute and probably less traffic in that direction.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simphony View Post
Hawaii Kai is 7 miles from Honolulu.
Hawaii Kai is in Honolulu.

Regardless, the center of Hawaii Kai (Honolulu) to downtown Honolulu is closer to 14 miles than 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simphony View Post
Waikiki is typically what mainland people think of when they move to Hawaii. The reality is is there is no street parking and it takes an addition 15 min to get into Waikiki during rush hour. There are only a few streets leading into Waikiki and I would not want to commute there everyday to live.

If you want to become local and live with the local people then don't move to Waikiki.
Plenty of local people live in Waikiki condos - and have parking in the building.

Street parking is available - you just need to know when and where to look. For quite a few hours on Monday and Friday late morning to mid-afternoon, you'll find spots on the Ala Wai Canal after street cleaning. Many hotel workers get off mid-afternoon, so grab spots on the side streets near the zoo at that time. Metered spots are free 6pm to 7am and all day Sunday.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
After Hanauma Bay, you'd be past Hawaii Kai and heading off to Waimanalo, though wouldn't you?
yup, just past..my bad. bro lives near Sandy Beach.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:07 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I like Hawaii Kai a lot and feel it would be a great place to live. To me, it has a smaller town feel with a nice little shopping area and a good mix of restaurants. Plus close to nice beaches and hiking areas. But I really dislike spending my time commuting in a car. Not just the time, but the stress driving in traffic as well.

In Waikiki and the surrounding area (like McCully, Ala Moana, Kakaako, etc) I would not want to rent a place with a plan to find street parking for my car. If the building you rent in does not come with a parking stall, I would recommend renting a permanent parking stall (either in the building or in a nearby parking garage) and just factoring that expense into your housing budget. You should be able to find a monthly parking stall for $200 or less in Waikiki area. I was renting one for awhile and the cost was $225 per month ... and that was one of the higher priced places near my unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu