Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,148,559 times

Advertisements

Sam's Club periodically mailed one-day membership promotional coupon that you can shop there by paying 5% surcharge. Or you can go to their website to download the coupon.

Each store has items that their competitor does not have. IMO Sam's Club makes better pastry than Costco does. And Sam's Club has some really particular items, i.e twin pack of entire beef tongue, that Costco does not have. Costco meat department also offers some products that cater to the local, i.e. very fat pork belly.

In fact, Costco affects the grocery store in certain way.

It used to be that during the three holidays -- Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day -- locally grown watermelons flooded the supermarkets. Usually it was as cheap as 10 or 15 cents per pound and had been down to 5 cents per pound.

But after Costco started to sell watermelon, there is no more sale of watermelon in the supermarkets at those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
^

yeah, costco does pork belly and oxtail. I think it's the only place I've seen that sells an entire pork belly slab. Usually places have it sliced up in 1" slices. Side tangent - Its kinda crazy how expensive oxtail is, especially as oxtail historically is an undesirable waste cut of meat. I mean $7/lb?? (think costco is a bit cheaper) You'd think you're buying decent cuts of steak, but no, you're buying bone, cartilage, and a bit of meat. lol

I'm not experienced in the way of sams club membership, but my impression was always that it's cheaper than costco, and you can occasionally get deals on membership? Costco membership tends to be set rates (and more expensive).

Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
Ossobuco used to be po' folk food too... for the local Italians in the NYC/NJ area..

But nostalgia kicked in and everyone wanted to remember their childhood when Nonna made it...memories raised the price per lb. dramatically.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 AM

451 posts, read 413,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Ossobuco used to be po' folk food too... for the local Italians in the NYC/NJ area..

But nostalgia kicked in and everyone wanted to remember their childhood when Nonna made it...memories raised the price per lb. dramatically.

Way off topic. We would occasionally have stewed lamb shanks, rice and reheated, tinned spinach as a Sunday dinner as youngsters. My parents were children and incredibly poor during the Great Depression. This was a very infrequent and nourishing meal when they were in their youth. Of course, this is what we consumed as children too. They really didn't know or experience more; it worked for them, and for the most part, they ensured it worked for us too. We didn't really have a choice, and there were consequences for rejecting what was put in front of us. For my parents, lamb shanks was a Sunday treat when they were growing up, and as a matter of course, they were determined to ensure lamb shanks would be forever tattooed to our frontal lobes. When my parents were young, lamb shanks went to the poor. Today, I stare at them in the grocery store, unable to bring myself to purchase them at their price, but rather fondly remember leaning against my mother's apron, as she braised them in a stew pot for a Sunday meal.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
nailed it^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu