Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 PM

10 posts, read 92,361 times

Advertisements

Waianae girl you seem to understand Hawaii quite well actually. It is unfortunate for some that they are not looked upon as local after so many years. You're absolutely correct when u say that even ppl from Oahu will treat a Hawaiian from the Big Island in a racist way. I suppose to sum it all up would be to say that racism is a common thing which everyone is subject to. So if you ponder that statement for a bit, it should become quite clear that it is a way of life in Hawaii, its nothing more than a passing insult which should be brushed off because you may hear it from time to time. Not to say that extreme racism doesn't exist, it does I suppose, especially on the Waianae coast. My Grandfather is pure German, he Lived in Waianae for 50+ years. I suppose it took him awhile to become local as well. If you're having trouble after 6 years, try adopting the local language a little more. I speak straight english but use a lil "pigeon" or full pigeon sometimes. It makes others feel more comfortable when you do so. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 AM

19 posts, read 67,227 times
Well being half German and half Samoan, and actually look like a full blooded Samoan must be a good thing for me, I will mix in with the locals. lol ( Until I start talking and they hear my NZ accent!!)

Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,472,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watmonki View Post
Waianae girl you seem to understand Hawaii quite well actually. It is unfortunate for some that they are not looked upon as local after so many years. You're absolutely correct when u say that even ppl from Oahu will treat a Hawaiian from the Big Island in a racist way. I suppose to sum it all up would be to say that racism is a common thing which everyone is subject to. So if you ponder that statement for a bit, it should become quite clear that it is a way of life in Hawaii, its nothing more than a passing insult which should be brushed off because you may hear it from time to time. Not to say that extreme racism doesn't exist, it does I suppose, especially on the Waianae coast. My Grandfather is pure German, he Lived in Waianae for 50+ years. I suppose it took him awhile to become local as well. If you're having trouble after 6 years, try adopting the local language a little more. I speak straight english but use a lil "pigeon" or full pigeon sometimes. It makes others feel more comfortable when you do so. =)
oh we spoke fluent Pidgeon, and my mother hated it! So it wasn't our accent or lack of understanding of how they spoke, I can actually in a day or so, pick it right back up. Waianae was rough then, I know it's worse now. It's funny because my wedding planner is German, moved to Hawaii around 11 years ago, so she has a combination of German and pidgeon accent! LOL. That was interesting to hear. But she adapted well in Hawaii, and is doing great.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,472,945 times
Tarla, I think you will do better. Although Samoans and Hawaiians do have their own little tifts form time to time. Like you said, then they will hear your accent, and probably take a step back

Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 44,147 times
Default Wow!

I was blown away by all of your responses. I appreciate them so very much. As you can probably imagine, this is a BIG move for us. Two women, alone, leaving everything behind, selling off furniture, car, etc....headed for beautiful Hawaii. I live in Denver, CO. There is racism here, crime, high cost of living....all of the same issues However, our lives are what WE make of it. I am a single mother, I look absolutely WHITE. However, my first language was Spanish, I am a mix of Spaniard and Italian raised in Dallas, Texas with a more "mexican" way of speaking just because of where I grew up. I am a Govt employee that interprets all day long. So I speak Spanish daily. But my skin is light, I have hazel eyes and long dark hair. I get called "white girl" here in Denver, CO! That's crazy. My daughter is dark skinned, dark eyes, long, long dark hair and has no Spanish accent whatsoever. She is so "Americanized".

WatMonki, I really appreciate the way you took the time to explain the whole racism thing in Hawaii. I had read sooo many threads, blogs, etc and so many people talked about how terrible the racism was there. Obviously, with the cost of living there, having to find a place to live and a job....the LAST thing I want to be worrying about is how my kid is getting harrassed at school. With the way things are going, I wonder how we'll do over there.

What do you make of the apartment situation? I need to find an apt near Moanalua High School, Radford or even McKinley. (my brother in law said that those were the best schools for my daughter). We need something small and simple at first, maybe a studio, no more than $750/$800. Then later, I can upgrade I suppose. We can live modestly. No problem.

Anybody have any ideas? How are things over there now with all the layoffs, food getting more and more expensive, do you find that people are panicking? What are the chances of my getting there and getting a job at a hotel or as a server until I get up on my feet? I sure would appreciate an insiders perspective.

And again, thank you ALL for all your input, you just don't understand how helpful it has been to me.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 PM

60 posts, read 394,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoHawaii View Post
In light of the ATA and Aloha fiascos, I am still standing firm. I have been reading about how everything is going up in price (food, gas, etc). They are advising us here on the mainland to begin stockpiling food in our pantries.....just in case. Someone asked me the other day, if you know that the food prices are sky high in hawaii, why do you still want to go? Well, if I sit here and wait for everything to be perfect before I make the move.....I'd never move!

I've been researching and researching (high cost of living, racism, difficulty find rentals because some people just don't want to rent to haoles, schools) and I find that the SOME of these problems plague us here on the mainland. Drugs, crime.....it's everywhere. I plan to move to Hawaii nevertheless, make a definite contribution, work hard, help out, volunteer and make a difference. I can grow my own food. (Some things at least) And listen, my intention is to grow old and retire in Hawaii.....but if for some reason it is not the Lord's will for me to stay in HI forever....then I'll come back to the mainland. If I don't do this, I just KNOW I'll regret it forever. I'm not rich, not even well off. I'm a government employee with a child, I work hard, live simply and live in peace.

My tickets are now booked through United Airlines.....yes, I was one of the fortunate ones that booked through ATA, only to hear that they had gone belly up with absolutely no forewarning. It's ok though. I'll get there!

Anybody else moving to Hi worried about these issues?

im white.. i live in Waianae.... some call it the "hood" or the "slums" or the "ghetto" i call it home.. i call it paradise. your attitude u have.. the way u said what u said... bout living here embracing it..... you will do FINE... if your daughter is any thing like you. she will do fine. there will be some level of "racism" for sure.. but it is NOTHING like what everyone on this website makes it seem. the most important thing about Oahu... is perception. If u come here… expecting something negative. U will receive negative feed back.. Hawaiians are very instinctual people. They will spot the chip on your shoulder from a mile away. To be honest and truthful with you I think moving to Hawaii is one of the best things I have ever done. I am from California. I moved to Hawaii on my own when I was 20. Last year. Just had an impulse. And went with it. Shipped my car out here. And all my belongings. Before I had a job a place to live… any of that. U get out of the culture what u put in. we are outsiders and must act accordingly. This is their culture we must embrace and except it. Not try to change it. Things work very different out here. But its all very subtle at the same time. My advice to u. is don’t let anything stop u. have a smile on ur face and aloha in ur heart… and Hawaiians will see u as ohana. It means family. Good luck. I hope u and your daughter get as much out of the culture here as I do.

Mahalo and be blessed

Old 05-24-2008, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 30,829 times
Default I am visiting Oahu in July

My Daughter just moved to Oahu and I am trying to visit however the prices to get there are crazy. any suggestions!!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 PM

wait till september. ticket prices start to come down. not sure were ur flying from... but to fly out of oakland to honolulu right now will run you $600-$800. in september they run about $450 with 5 major airlines going out of biz, the increasing cost of crude oil, and the lack of travel... tickets are just going to get worse befor they get better. its only a matter of time befor they do here wut they do in vegas... and then it will be dirt cheap. the major hotels all cut airlines checks to make there flights to vegas cheaper. only a matter of time these resorts start realy hurtin... then union up together and cash out the airlines.... i cant wait

mahalo's guys...
hope this helps

Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 44,147 times
Red face HI dmoon808

I really appreciate what you said. I was wondering if you could offer some insight as to where to start looking for an apt when I arrive in Honolulu. I've searched Salt Lake, the Ala Moana area. I can't afford something really expensive right off the bat. I need to get my bearings first. A small studio 600-700 a month in Waikiki would suit me just fine. I just don't want to have to stay in a hotel too long, you know how expensive they are! I've been searching online but it's so hard to distinguish what's legit and what's a scam. HAAARD! Any help would be appreciated.

And thanks again for your comment, I sure do feel better about moving out there. We land on June 29th! OMG! How crazy is that???? A brand new way of life, I cannot wait!

Mahalo~

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM

hi. my name is dustin and i have lived here form almost a year now. i got here June 25th actually. lol. only a few days before you will airve. ONLY ONE MONTH AWAY bet your excited. u can get a one bedroom studio at the Hawaiian monarch for like 750/ month. how ever thats about as cheap as it gets. you also can rent a room.. in a house occupied by people. im not sure how u feel about this seeing is how u have a teenage
daughter. But you can usually find rooms for rent in the 500 dollar range. I would suggest you and you daughter working. She can get a job very easy. Working food service or retail. This wont be a significant income but will help A LOT. As for you. Im not sure what kinda of work you do now, but its easy o get a job here unemployment rate of 3.3% pretty dam low. Im am so excided for you two. Honestly. I am going to send you a direct message on here.. It will contain my email address and some basic contact info. I would love to help out any way I can.
GOOD LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: