Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
1) I did not write this top 10 list.
Who wrote it?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM

25 posts, read 131,265 times
Great list. I too think a few of you took this a bit too seriously. The commercials bothered me too!!! I was drooling over Kohl's and hearing rumors of a Target.

I don't know why the centipedes didn't make number one. I know the cockaroaches are bad, but those centipedes are nightmarish!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 9,048 times
Okay, first of all, I am the one who wrote this top ten list. I didn't even have an account with this forum, but felt the need to clear the air here. This worst top ten list, as well as the best top ten list, were originally posted on my private blog that is viewed by my family and friends. Unfortunately, my brother felt the need to copy and paste this onto a public forum, which was not it's original purpose for being written. In no way was this written to say that Hawaii is the worst state, or anything like that. Also unfortunately, my brother did not copy and paste my ending paragraph which basically stated that, no matter where we live, we will always be able to write a top ten best and worst list about our city. This blog list was originally written to show our friends and family that this isn't a "perfect" place to live, just like any other state. Also keep in mind, that we are midwesterners, and not used to some of the ways of life here, and was written for our midwesterner friends and family back home, who have never exprienced living life out of the cornfields. A lot of people come on vacation here, and think that they would have the same experience living here, but vacationing here and living here are two different things, and we were just trying to show our family that. We have the utmost respect for the culture and people here. Believe me, both my husband and I work in non-profit agencies that serve these people who need help here, the utmost down and out. We care about the people here, just like we would anywhere else. And, I could definitely write a worst list about Chicago or our hometown in Michigan. So, I'm sorry if this post offended anyone, it was never meant to be disrespectful.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Hi Psychwife,

Thanks for joining and sharing your point of view. If someone wanted my top 10 worst things, I would guess that some of mine would have been similiar. There are realities to "paradise" and it is fair to discuss them.

With aloha,

Cynthia

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post

There are realities to "paradise" and it is fair to discuss them.

With aloha,

Cynthia
Couldn't agree more - it's good for people to know the bad as well as the good if considering a move, and this list could be helpful to people in making decisions. Normally you only hear how wonderful it is!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,536 times
1: And I'm assuming there are no roaches elsewhere?? Alright...

2: I agree, it sucks.

3: There's no need to say "these people' because if you want to get personal, the majority of bad drivers are Asian.

4: Alright, that's one thing we have a problem with. But what can you do? Judge? If it doesn't affect you personally, you should only feel sorry for those people.

5: There's going to be racism everywhere, and if you want to get technical we're not half as bad as the south. I've lived in many places for half my life, so I'm not assuming.

6: I actually agree, food from places we don't have here is like a big tease and I don't see a point in advertising something we can get without a plane ticket. Although I really don't see how that reflects on Honolulu or Hawaii for that matter.

7: Traffic wouldn't be so bad if people who whine about ONLY the downsides of Hawaii would stop coming here and adding more traffic. What can you do? Such is life. The natives don't tell the foreigners to get out because they're overpopulating our islands, they deal.

8: There are language barriers everywhere, even in the continental U.S. (as much as that may surprise you). Contrary to your insinuations, there are people in Hawaii who are native that can speak properly and are educated, like myself.

9: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

10: What can you do? There's always a plane ticket back to the mainland.

--
This is addressed to whoever wrote the list - I just don't understand why you don't leave if you hate it so much.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:06 AM

15 posts, read 77,164 times
This list coincides with the top 10 BEST things about living in Hawaii... I don't see what the problem is with talking about the bad things of living in a place.... every place has 10 bad things about it, more than not even more than that!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,895 times
Default top ten...retort

it also apparently impairs your ability to SPELL judgment...LEAVE OUT THE E. smoke a fatty and try again.

AND.. TO THOSE WHO INSIST ON USING RACIAL TERMS:

haole is a racial slur i don't care what you say. yeh they made excuses for saying ****** back in the day, too, and it was STILL a racial slur. wake up. this is the 21st century. no one wants to be called something associated with their skin colour. how about just calling your friends.. uh... friends and not haoles? that is so rude and shows your ignorance.

2) DEFINITION OF DRUGS - Drugs are any substance other than food that change the structure or function of the body or mind.

>>>Marijuana does have many chemicals including THC.

>>>Marijuana IS a drug.

3) Smoking marijuana ....

-Causes cancer

-Reduces memory, reaction time, and coordination

-Impairs judgement

God created a lot of things, but it is people who misuse them.[/quote]

Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Who wrote it?
His sister.

EDIT: Just saw that the said sister came and explained this, so sorry to repeat!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingtoHawaii View Post
This list coincides with the top 10 BEST things about living in Hawaii... I don't see what the problem is with talking about the bad things of living in a place.... every place has 10 bad things about it, more than not even more than that!
Well said! I always really want to hear the bad things about a place just as much as the good, so I know what others have experienced and what negative things might exist in a place. These aren't necessarily facts, but ones experiences. Also, this is helpful for those of us who are thinking of moving to a place, one of the reasons this board exists. Some people might be able to visit every single place they might want to move, but not all of us can do this. So, by hearing the good and the bad from others experiences, it can help us to decide which places to visit/seriously consider, along with doing our own research. To any trolls, begone! But, to those who are simply telling the good and the bad of their experiences, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu