Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM

32 posts, read 114,107 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Why does everyone steer us away from Hawaii Kai? Its just my husband and I, and we'd like to buy a smart property on Oahu.

how far is Hawaii Kai from Kaneohe? What other towns that have townhome or condo communities less than 2 or 3 years old would you recommend?

We really dont want a "fix upper" house, but would be doing a few things to upgrade to max out the value.

My husband and I are in our 30's, and plan to have a child within the next two years.

I live in Boston now...tell me I'm going to love it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 AM

11 posts, read 35,561 times
Hello,

I hope i can be of some help to you folk. HERE GOES>>>>>.......

this link show some of kane'ohe (windward side) condos and town homes. I am sad to say that there aren't very many 2 to 3 year old subdivisions around built recently on that side of the island that i know of. Most are 5 to 10 years old. the new building boom is in Waikiki with the new high rise condos for sale. The Waikiki condos are very very expensive. (i.e. new Trump high rise)

condos and townhomes loc: Kaneohe, HI - Google Maps

They are town homes in Mililani Mauka (central oahu) which is like 20 minutes to 45 minutes to drive to kane'ohe depending on traffic. they are ranges around the 400k to 600k price range.

Here is a MLS listing of homes and condos for sale in the Mililani area.

http://www.khnlhomes.com/idx_tvlayout/mls-idx-hon/index.cfm (broken link)

I would recommend the central oahu area. Driving to the Waikiki or town area may be a hassle during rush hour, but can be other wise uneventful at other times.

The windward side of the island is very beautiful. It rains almost every morning depending how close you are to the mountains. The sites on that side of the island are very beautiful and the most of Oahu's best beaches are on that side of the island. So buy a expensive camera so you can send pictures back to friends and relatives. But thefts is a problem for some areas, like in any suburban setting, so better to be prepared, than find out paradise "shot you in the foot" a little.

They are very good private schools on that side of the island which are priced very decently. (For instance the Chatholic schools/Christain schools) The more higher priced schools are located close to the Waikiki area in Honolulu. i.e Punahou Schools (the one Barrac Obama graduated from)., Damian School for boys, Maryknolls school.

The food here is very good. If you like Chinese food you will be in for a very big surprise. Hawaii has more Chinese Cantonese style dishes (It taste better) rather than the Chinese Mandarin dishes prevalence on the mainland. Not a lot of Mongolian beef to be found in Chinese restaurants here on Oahu, like in Boston. But the infusion of a lot of different cultures makes Hawaii a diverse and tasty place to live in. Be prepared to gain weight unless you stay active.

They are lots of things to do in Hawaii, especially for outdoorsy type people. Hiking, camping, beach outings, sports are all year around activities. Especially for kids. There is always something going on somewhere at some hotel or part of the island for everyone to enjoy. Oahu has the most nightlife and is the most crowded, compared to all the other island. Oahu has approximately 1 million citizens and at anytime about 30 to 40 thousand tourist during peak seasons.

There a lot of malls and theaters, schools, museums, and indoor types of things to do, if your into that. Just be prepared to spend money cause it is expensive to live here in Hawaii, which is very comparable to living in Boston from what i remember.

Here is another link you can read about Hawaii from the LA Times.

Hawaii Travel Guides, Vacation Packages & Deals - Travel - LATimes.com

I found that its has good points to read about Hawaii. Here some news stations on the web on Oahu for you to read.

KHNL NBC 8 Honolulu Hawaii |KHNL NBC 8 Home

KGMB9.com (http://kgmb9.com/main/ - broken link)

Honolulu News, Honolulu, Hawaii Breaking News, Weather & Sports - KITV Honolulu's Channel 4

KHON2 FOX

I don't know why people would stear you away from Hawaii Kai side of the island. Its hot in the summer has homes for sale right on the beach in Port Lock, has a mall there and a theater. The only thing i see wrong would be traffic to Kaneohe and Honolulu during rush hours. Hawaii Kai is a very nice place to live. I wish I had a house there myself.

I hope this helps you out. Congratulations! I wish you peace and prosperity with your move to Hawaii.

May God Bless you and keep you.

Aloha,

J.S.

Last edited by Js808; 05-10-2008 at 02:07 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 AM

11 posts, read 35,561 times
sorry about the links.. they were working correct about 30 minutes ago then the went all funky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu