Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 09:32 PM

122 posts, read 82,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - Ala Moana Park isn't exactly Waikiki - but given it is practically impossible to park at Ala Moana Park between 11am and 2pm it can't be that bad.

You might want to rethink that...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/0...na-beach-park/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 09:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
I don’t think so

Old 09-09-2022, 09:00 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
. You do not need to wait until "late evenings", all you have to do is spend some time in the parks, or walking any number of areas where homeless are congregating in OR out of Waikiki. At over 250, on walks in Ala Moana park, I have been accosted several different times by both men and women between 11 AM and 2 PM in the open! The druggies and full-on mental cases are everywhere, and they are the ones that will pull out a knife at the drop of a hat. You see "them" everywhere, twitching, acting out, yelling. Of course, your danger level does go down when in a group, but if alone...watch your back! You need to be aware, observant, and ready for fight or flight. HPD's "New Initiative" at best will only once again move the problem, NOT solve it.
You may have had the experiences you claim … but I have 30 years of association with homeless in both mainland cities and in Honolulu and have never once “been accosted” day or night by anyone … and definitely not had any knives pulled on me.

Some folks do seem to be a magnet for trouble more than others. I imagine I may look like someone there’s no point in accosting …

I also know that studies have been made of violence related to homelessness. The statistics show that homeless have been beaten and killed (yes, literally) far more often by non-homeless than the reverse as you suggest is an ever-present danger.

I’ll further point out that anyone who can’t see potential trouble of the sort you describe during midday from far enough away to simply alter course, really maybe shouldn’t be walking alone at all.

Homeless populations include troubled people for sure. But so does the general population. Most murders are committed (IIRC about 75%?) by persons known to each other previously to the violence. So, while you are warning about the dangers of walking by a homeless person, perhaps you should also advise readers to watch out for their ex’s and brother-in-laws and former business partners and anyone they took for $50 at a card game?

Old 09-09-2022, 09:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You may have had the experiences you claim … but I have 30 years of association with homeless in both mainland cities and in Honolulu and have never once “been accosted” day or night by anyone … and definitely not had any knives pulled on me.
Neither have I - and I've lived in Portland which in my opinion are the most desperate and scary homeless out there - if one wants to see the impact of meth, take a stroll in downtown Portland.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Neither have I - and I've lived in Portland which in my opinion are the most desperate and scary homeless out there - if one wants to see the impact of meth, take a stroll in downtown Portland.
Roger that. I’m talking about personal experience in San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, and Washington D.C. … all in the “top ten” list nationally. Live presently (in a secure military marina) adjacent to San Diego’s #2 worst district which I walk around constantly. Started volunteer assisting for homeless veterans some years after my retirement from military. Been in and around lots of tents and old broken rv’s and shacks. Not a single moment of trouble.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:05 PM

51 posts, read 42,017 times
Last time I was in state was May and stayed as usual in Waikiki though I really don't spend much time in Waikiki proper except for morning walks or going to a couple of specific restaurants.

Normally I don't see a bit of trouble except for some general screeching and yelling from the usual suspects. I was glad to see they put the iron barred panels up around the pavilions by the Prince Kuhio statue. Those were getting pretty disgusting with the odor and trash.

The one incident I did see one morning was an individual who was literally blocking the whole sidewalk on the mauka side of K Ave just DH of McD's screaming at the top of his lungs and thrashing about with a palm frond in a Game of Thrones type sword play and lunging at people who were trying to get by. He pretty much had stopped all transit down the walk and this is literally just across the street from the HPD sub station.

I was on the beach side and walked up to the Aquarium and came back - he was still there like the Energizer Bunny carrying on and still no HPD in sight. Wonder what the trigger is for a police response with these folks?

Cheers

Old 09-09-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
Last time I was in state was May and stayed as usual in Waikiki though I really don't spend much time in Waikiki proper except for morning walks or going to a couple of specific restaurants.

Normally I don't see a bit of trouble except for some general screeching and yelling from the usual suspects. I was glad to see they put the iron barred panels up around the pavilions by the Prince Kuhio statue. Those were getting pretty disgusting with the odor and trash.

The one incident I did see one morning was an individual who was literally blocking the whole sidewalk on the mauka side of K Ave just DH of McD's screaming at the top of his lungs and thrashing about with a palm frond in a Game of Thrones type sword play and lunging at people who were trying to get by. He pretty much had stopped all transit down the walk and this is literally just across the street from the HPD sub station.

I was on the beach side and walked up to the Aquarium and came back - he was still there like the Energizer Bunny carrying on and still no HPD in sight. Wonder what the trigger is for a police response with these folks?

Cheers
Heh … I repeat, as per your description of the Game of Thrones swordplay: anyone who can’t see this kind of potential trouble well in advance of entering the “arena” … maybe shouldn’t be out walking anywhere alone.

Cross the street fer cryin out loud, eh?

Old 09-19-2022, 03:58 PM

51 posts, read 42,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Heh … I repeat, as per your description of the Game of Thrones swordplay: anyone who can’t see this kind of potential trouble well in advance of entering the “arena” … maybe shouldn’t be out walking anywhere alone.

Cross the street fer cryin out loud, eh?

You pretty much nailed it there - Common Sense: "If you see an obviously unhinged individual blocking the sidewalk (Shire Path), yodeling invective (Challenging all comers - "Merely a FLESHWOUND! Come Back Here! I'll BLEED on You!) at the top of his lungs, swinging a large piece of foliage c*um magical broadsword (The Lady of the Lake etc...), why risk continuing on your intercept course and trying to get by the loony"?...

Oh... Wait... Did I say Common Sense?...

Doh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: