Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
In such a case, I generally first pay with coins and then use the app to add another hour when the meter is up.
Unlike the Zoo - and now Ko Olina, it isn't an option downtown. It is a rigid 1 hour limit unless you physically refeed the meter (and when you are having lunch not very practical) - and I suppose they could technically still ticket you due to the 1 hour limit but have no idea if they do that in practice.

Now knowing I need to budget 1.5 hours for lunch at Fete unless you do a huge rush (and why ruin a meal by rushing) - I'll alternatively park at the City garage but I still think a 2 hour limit is more reasonable and parking in the garage can be a pain but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 09:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
1,700 parking meters from Chinatown to Waikiki can now take payments via an app. Apparently they have a special sticker on them.

I parked in Chinatown on Tuesday afternoon - the meter was non-functional (no display) - I was literally parked right by the police station and they were not enforcing the 1 hour limit - or I got lucky, parked roughly 2 hours with no ticket.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...ments-via-app/

Old 02-04-2023, 05:54 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Thanks for that update. I wonder if they are still going to ticket before June even at those meters given the earlier announcement?

I've yet to find a meter with a card reader that didn't seem to be working when out and about. And many never stopped paying.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Off topic to the free parking for the time being - but I'm going to vent about the 1 hour limit downtown.

Had a 1pm reservation at Fete about a month ago - maybe parked a block away. From the time I paid the meter - walked to restaurant - got seated - ordered - ate/drank - walked back to car, suffice it say it is over an hour. And while I did not get a ticket, a 2 hour limit would be more reasonable.
By the way, an aside but your comment and some of my coworkers comments on Fete made me try them out the other week. Some of the best food I've ever had. I went this afternoon, too, and got some of their specials, to include shrimps in a nice tomato sauce and the pork ragu kale pasta, which blew my mind. I don't really care for pasta too much as most places can't do it well, but this is the second pasta dish I've had from Fete and both were superb.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:37 PM

I came across my first non-working parking meters the other day, so I guess there is some truth and merit to the policy. I've only come across a few quarter-only operated meters, so had to pay there or else risk a ticket. Otherwise, I've been parking at meters and not paying in accordance with policy. I have continued to see plenty--tourists and locals alike it seems--continue paying at those meters that work.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:41 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I came across my first non-working parking meters the other day, so I guess there is some truth and merit to the policy. I've only come across a few quarter-only operated meters, so had to pay there or else risk a ticket. Otherwise, I've been parking at meters and not paying in accordance with policy. I have continued to see plenty--tourists and locals alike it seems--continue paying at those meters that work.
Many of the meters around Rycroft in the area of Sorabol are still not working.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:22 PM

9 months later, the City will start ticketing for failure to pay at all meters starting tomorrow: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...town-honolulu/

It's been good while it lasted. Truthfully, I started paying last month when I saw the newer meters starting to pop up as I couldn't find any information on whether or not enforcement has restarted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: