Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 18,371 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a gov't contractor that will be taking a 1 year assignment on Oahu- are there any newer apartments military friendly that are recommended by chance? On base housing is not an option unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:16 PM

48 posts, read 47,531 times
Can you give a little more information about what you will be needing? Where will you be stationed? Minimizing your commute is assumed to be a priority.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:35 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I have not encountered any non-military friendly apartments here. I guess it's possible that some LLs may hesitate about renting to military members, especially as we can break leases without penalty upon receiving PCS orders (or orders in excess of 90 days), but in my experience LLs tend to value a pretty much guaranteed paycheck and potential command involvement if their tenant is a mess and causing trouble.

If base isn't an option, I'd at least try to find a place that's within a reasonable commute to base. For instance, I wouldn't look on the North Shore if you'll be working at Pearl Harbor. I work at Pearl Harbor and live in town, which has worked out for me pretty well.

As a civilian contractor, though, I don't think that the fact that you work on military contracts is going to come into play with renting one way or the other.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have not encountered any non-military friendly apartments here. I guess it's possible that some LLs may hesitate about renting to military members, especially as we can break leases without penalty upon receiving PCS orders (or orders in excess of 90 days), but in my experience LLs tend to value a pretty much guaranteed paycheck and potential command involvement if their tenant is a mess and causing trouble.
While I wouldn't completely rule it out in the future, I had a fairly poor experience renting to a group of Naval Officers to my Kailua home (Kailua is very traffic friendly to base unless an accident on H3 occurs).

They had decent references - obviously high income/guaranteed earners - and they pitched 1 or more of them would usually be deployed often months at a time.

Well - when they weren't deployed my house often became party central - pool parties were often and loud (police called more than once by the neighbors) - often partially blocked neighbors driveways with friends cars, and while the house was not quite Animal House did a decent amount of damage (house was furnished). I didn't exactly get a lot of goodwill with the neighbors.

They paid for the damage - didn't dispute anything - but anyone who has to go out replacing furniture or getting things repaired knows what a pain in the neck it is.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While I wouldn't completely rule it out in the future, I had a fairly poor experience renting to a group of Naval Officers to my Kailua home (Kailua is very traffic friendly to base unless an accident on H3 occurs).

They had decent references - obviously high income/guaranteed earners - and they pitched 1 or more of them would usually be deployed often months at a time.

Well - when they weren't deployed my house often became party central - pool parties were often and loud (police called more than once by the neighbors) - often partially blocked neighbors driveways with friends cars, and while the house was not quite Animal House did a decent amount of damage (house was furnished). I didn't exactly get a lot of goodwill with the neighbors.

They paid for the damage - didn't dispute anything - but anyone who has to go out replacing furniture or getting things repaired knows what a pain in the neck it is.
I take it these were young, single guys in the prime of their partying years? Military renters certainly don’t rule out poor behavior, though I’m not shocked they paid out no questions asked as failure to do so could result in the awarding of non-judicial punishment, which would effectively end their careers. I’d def weigh other factors as well, but I appreciate the pluses of renting to military folks as well.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:26 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
Craigslist Oahu and Realtor.com are both very active for rentals. We have multiple Military bases here, Mil contractors are not uncommon. Just be sure you have good documentation supporting your financial position.

There relatively few "apartment" buildings, most highrises and a large number of other multi-family properties are actually Condominium/HOA properties, with each unit having a different actual "owner". The only effect there is to you in that regard, is multiple layers of "management". You will initially meet with a Rental manager that handles an individual condo unit, and will be the one making decisions on your application and addressing problems within your unit. The Building will (depending on size) have additional "on-site" management and additional "house rules", but for the most part only deals with issues related to the entire building (major repairs) and tenant/guest behavior in common areas. Typically in larger properties you will need to register with the site manager as well as your rental manager, providing contact and vehicle information, etc.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:27 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
I would also recommend using googleearth to have a look at the area, the property address,
and access to the main thoroughfares; and for an indication of neighborhood "safety", HPD has a great tool here:

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/agency/165

Old 04-16-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
I would also recommend using googleearth to have a look at the area, the property address,
and access to the main thoroughfares; and for an indication of neighborhood "safety", HPD has a great tool here:

I always do this as a matter of course, though I also always try to visit the area physically when looking to rent a place. In the couple of times that I had to rent without being able to physically visit the area (this was when I moved to New Orleans and when I moved to Australia for 3 months, the latter case being a mistake), Google Earth was invaluable in giving me some insight into the immediate surrounding area.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:21 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post

Thanks for the link but I can't seem to get anything that's very useful out of that map. It's just one small area of town and the whole screen is covered with hundreds of bubbles stacked on hundreds of bubbles. Can't zoom or move to another area. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 04-16-2023, 01:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Thanks for the link but I can't seem to get anything that's very useful out of that map. It's just one small area of town and the whole screen is covered with hundreds of bubbles stacked on hundreds of bubbles. Can't zoom or move to another area. Am I doing something wrong?
Just do www.crimemapping.com without the rest of the URL.

Once in Enter a zip code or address in location. Once the area comes up, you will then want to enter a date range in the upper right corner so it isn't overwhelming with reports. You can then move around the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: