Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 06:08 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,075,314 times

Advertisements

I visit Hawaii every 2-3 years for a couple of weeks.

This time I noticed a lot more security at stores. Changing rooms locked up, secured goods, etc.
I asked a few stores why the change.

They all said; "multiple cultures" or "changing culture"
It was such a constant answer that it was obviously the PC line.

So asking natives. What's going on?
(open ended question on purpose )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 06:18 PM

I've spent some time in LA
People just walk into stores and walk out with stuff.
Store owners says they can't stop anyone because they will get sued. People just grocery shopping with a cart. Leave, load a car and drive off.

It's mind boggling.

I didn't get the feeling that was a problem here

Old 05-08-2024, 09:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 2,541,143 times
Companies and people are just more aware of retail theft these days. Actual property crime is way down from the 80s and 90s, where at one point Hawaii had the second highest property crime rate in the country. The media makes things seem way worse than they really are, both in Hawaii and nationwide. And having lived in Hawaii most of my life, I haven't noticed an uptick in security anywhere so our perspectives are definitely different.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:10 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,326,280 times
For what it's worth, what's happening here isn't any different from what I've seen on the mainland. The cops will still arrest you and you'll be prosecuted here for theft, but that didn't stop some of the changes that you mentioned. I guess, why go through the headache of dealing with the cops if you can cut down on the risk of theft to begin with?

Old Today, 10:58 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,036,685 times
Yes It's just like the US continent. Everything is a trend. At least we don't have shot spotters like they do in Albuquerque at the malls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCrVwT68rCM

Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Yes It's just like the US continent. Everything is a trend. At least we don't have shot spotters like they do in Albuquerque at the malls.
I actually like our "shot spotters"
Upon hearing a gunshot the camera takes a picture of the shot and relays it to the police.
It has been incredibly useful in Chicago.

I know, it's better not to have to need it. But getting rid of it after it's been paid for is pretty silly.

Old Today, 07:40 PM

1,048 posts, read 568,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Albuquerque is in a totally different league when it comes to crime. Just the other day a mom was shot at a high school graduation ceremony in broad daylight by her stepson while trying to hug her son. I had to flee from there, it's the Olympics of crime.

Every single day there is something terrifying happening. A few days before that, there was a shootout in a Walmart parking lot where someone was killed. The Feds really need to step in. Even the police force, who is under Federal Judicial Watch (again!) for shooting first and asking questions later is corrupt.

They just had a half dozen cops resign rather than face the Feds in a kickback scheme where they were referring people w/ DWI's to one particular attorney who would get a certain amount of money, then the cops would not show up at court so the charges would have to be dropped. Hundreds and hundreds of DWI's had to be throw out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu