Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 28,352 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am wondering if there is a way to have a job lined up before exiting the plane. I am moving Dec 15th to Oahu and would prefer to have a job ASAP. Is there a service that acts as a middle man to help people who are relocating to find employment? If not, how hard is it to find a job, and how quickly? Second, how much money should I bring with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 28,352 times
IF no one wants to comment on this to help, then can you send me to the correct place to find help?

Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,907,187 times
I'm not sure anyone knows how to help. The unemployment rate in Hawaii is very low, especially on Oahu. Employers have many candidates for most jobs. I don't know of anyone who offers the kind of service you are looking for, and other posts here say (and I tend to agree) that employers tend not to take very seriously people who haven't already made the commitment by moving here.

Many people move and take a temporary apartment and a couple of easy-to-get jobs, then settle down more permanently after 3-6 months.

You might also want to post what kind of job you would be looking for and/or your skills, education level, etc. Most "generic" unskilled jobs in Hawaii are fairly low-paying: retail, service, restaurant, hotel, ag, etc. Many people have two or three of those to get by. It's a very expensive place to live.

And I'd recommend saving at least three months of living expenses (excluding transportation here, car if you need one, etc.) and some "emergency" funds to bring along or have direct access to.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:08 AM

82 posts, read 366,094 times
It took me about 3 months of actively seeking a job here. I submitted at least 50 applications/resumes and got very little call backs, and some were some pretty low level jobs too. I think I had a lot to offer, but still nothing. The call backs I got, they all asked if I was on the island, so I think that is a big thing. If I were you, I would contact at least temp agencies right before you come if you don't have anything lined up.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 AM

39 posts, read 176,735 times
The temp idea is a great one. When I first moved to Oahu, I didn't know where anything was, or what was available so I signed up with Adecco. I went in the first day and took their tests and got a drivers abstract and everything. The next day they called me with a job for 14 dollars an hour. It was a great way to learn my way around town, make some great contacts, and some money. I will always be grateful to them for giving me a hand.
I <3 Adecco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu