Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 115,705 times

Advertisements

I just found out a landed a job in Honolulu a few days ago. Im frantically trying to figure things out, since this was unexpected. Im selling everything I own, a few sentimental items. I'm working on getting those items shipped.

Question: Whats the cheapest way to ship a couple of large boxes (maybe a couple of 4'x4'x4')

I'm also shipping my dog via Pacific Air Cargo. The state requires a blood test and other requirements that I can't have done in 2 weeks, so I will have to leave her behind until the test results clear and the 12 weeks period ends. I'd just leave her in quarantine in Hawaii (at least I can visit her) but that runs in the thousands

Question: Any way around that?

Im looking to ship my cars over which looks like it will run about a thousand each car. I need to get a notarized letter from each lien holder and empty out the cars.

Question: Anything I need to know about shipping a car oversees that I might have left out? Are the shipping companies REALLY strict about emptying the cars out? Can I hide stuff in the spare tire compartment and glove box? How long do most shipping companies take? Most dont say on their websites.

As far as shipping my cars / dog / items, is there ANYTHING else Im leaving out that I should do? Its pretty overwhelming to try and get all of this done. Its not like moving across the country where you just pack up your car and go...

Thanks,

-mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM

203 posts, read 1,359,877 times
Did you need your vehicles? I just ask because should I move there, I intend to sell mine. Figure I'd save over $600 a month in transportation costs just using TheBus ($440 for a yearly pass) which is just about $37 a month. And the system seemed very good whenever I used it. Plus with petrol costs and the traffic Honolulu tends to have that I've seen...ugh.

As for emptying the vehicles..I've heard from numerous vehicles that is a yes, it needs to be clear of items.

As for animals..they are strict on quarantine...If you haven't done the release process, they will put them in a quarantine (paid by you) for I believe 3 months...

Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Good luck with everything. I imagine this is stressful!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM

I need my car for work, and I really dont want to get rid of my wife's cooper.... I guess I could part with it, but thats just one more stress to deal with in the 2 weeks before I move.

Luckily my friends in California agreed to watch my dog for the 12 weeks until she clears, and then ship her out to us... Thats a HUGE relief...

The next thing Im really worried about is having my car when I start my first day at work in 3 weeks. Im using my car currently, so I cant just have it shipped now so its ready for pickup when I start my job.

Whats the quickest turnaround for shipping a car?

Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 AM

649 posts, read 3,449,927 times
No experience yet, but I'm going to ship mine with Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com). They claim 5-7 days to Honolulu, not sure if that's really true.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,539,312 times
Do you have housing? I could be in a similar situation, if we just show up without our dog on the fourth of July what kind of budget temporary housing is there? And would we have to look at the West side for decent public middle schools?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Do you have housing? I could be in a similar situation, if we just show up without our dog on the fourth of July what kind of budget temporary housing is there? And would we have to look at the West side for decent public middle schools?
I have no housing yet, but somehow that seems like the least of my worries. I've found a few cheap studio apartments for 600-900 that are fully furnished. Its just my wife and I, so I think we'll be ok. Once I get my car and dog situation settled, I think the housing will be easier. Most places dont allow dogs, so I may have to move a little further out of Honolulu than I wanted. I just want to live in a cheap, short term lease until I get there, then I will settle down in a long term place. I have a hard time agreeing to live in a place long term without seeing it.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
No experience yet, but I'm going to ship mine with Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com). They claim 5-7 days to Honolulu, not sure if that's really true.
It looks like they have a "grace period" of 5-7 days... Im not sure if thats the shipment time. It seems like thats the amount of time that you can leave your car in their possession after it arrives without being charged... Not sure. I couldn't find any actual shipping date info.

ship car hawaii vehicle shipping company alaska vehicle transport hawaii alaska by shipmyvehicle

Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 AM

39 posts, read 176,749 times
Before you ship your car out, take pictures! The shipping place banged my husbands car all up, and then claimed it was like that already. I really wish someone had told us that before we sent it to Hawaii.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,533,659 times
HI there...

Wow exciting move! It took 9 days (11 total with the weekend to ship my car). You do have to have it empty...they will check.

Now...since your company has you moving so quickly...they must understand that your car won't be there in time. Have you talked to them about possibly using a company car for the first week or two. Would they get you a rental?

Boy if there is any way at all to use the bus...it is one of the best in the country. I used it for 2 years living in Ewa Beach and working in Pearl Harbor.

Good luck....living in Hawaii is wonderful!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
HI there...

Wow exciting move! It took 9 days (11 total with the weekend to ship my car). You do have to have it empty...they will check.

Now...since your company has you moving so quickly...they must understand that your car won't be there in time. Have you talked to them about possibly using a company car for the first week or two. Would they get you a rental?

Boy if there is any way at all to use the bus...it is one of the best in the country. I used it for 2 years living in Ewa Beach and working in Pearl Harbor.

Good luck....living in Hawaii is wonderful!
I bet they will get me a company car or pay for a rental. I just dont want to be a pain in the butt the first week.

Since I will be working as a photojournalist at the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, I will be carrying a lot of photo gear in my car. It makes it nearly impossible to use public transportation carrying around 200 lbs of gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu