Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM

22 posts, read 35,145 times

Advertisements

I LOVE IT.

I've seen Waikiki, Chinatown, The Honolulu Pet Expo, 'Iolani Palace, went to a thrift store and found GREAT deals, went to the Saturday Farmers Market, swam in the ocean at Waikiki beaches, went to my aunt's photography club at KCC, went to First Friday art galleries, went to Duke's....I even have been surfing through Acessurf, a non profit that helps people with disabilities experence the ocean. That was my favorite day so far. I won a trophy! People from all over town have been coming up to me saying they're proud. I'm proud too. Upcoming stuff: Swap Meet! And I'm voulenteering at the Oahu SPCA starting May 21st,

I'm here cause a little stumped/overwhelmed at what I should do next. I came down with a bug and have been at my aunt's apartment since Sunday. Now that I'm on the mend, gotta get going! I've got two more months here. I'd like to see Pearl Harbor, but I don't have a hotel out here and they want my hotel address to pick me up. I don't want to be picked up. Should I book a tour? Is it cheaper if I just go?

Also, can anyone recommend an easy hike to me? I'd love to see a nature trail, but I have mild cerbreal palsy, so hiking up steep hills or off clifts could lead to....bad results.

Where else should I go around here? At the end of the summer, I'm going to another island, but I'm not sure where yet. BTW, I'd like to say Mahalo to everyone around town who has been so kind and wonderful to me. Just in case one of them is you, hi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
as far as Pearl Harbor/Arizona.... Ride The Bus... not sure where you are but the bus system is very good and you can get to just about any place on The Bus.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM

22 posts, read 35,145 times
Oh, I'm a pro at TheBus by now. A stop is right by my place, and I agree. It can get you just about anywhere. Wasn't sure if it goes to Pearl Harbor, but I'm guessing it does. I'll have to look up routes.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Have you been to Hanauma Bay yet? If not, it is a must! Enjoy your stay and keep us updated.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM

38 posts, read 48,439 times
That's so wonderful to hear! I hope you find a way to get to Pearl Harbor, I can't wait to visit there one day, myself!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Yay for AcessSurf! I used to volunteer with them, but have been traveling a lot, so I haven't been out to a day at the beach lately. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The surf crew there is fantastic.

As for easy hikes / walks:
Have you been to the Lyon Arboretum or any of the botanical gardens? (There are lots.) They will have easy walks on nice nature trails without the strain of a real hike. Most of the trails I've been on, even the easy ones, have had steep or tricky sections to them.

You could do a drive up Tantalus. There are some short hikes (the Tantalus-Arboretum trail, the first one you come to driving up Tantalus is a very short & easy loop), and other longer hikes but you could just walk in and then turn around and walk out.

The 2.5 mile loop starting at the Hawaii Nature Center is pretty easy as hikes go, though it is a lot of up (first) and down (later). You could just walk up as far as you like and then turn around.

Less nature-walk but also fun & easy is the Makapuu lighthouse trail (really a nice paved road). If you're OK with steps, you could try Diamond Head. It's very well maintained, but there's a lot of stairs at the end.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
The Roberts Hawaii tour bus to Pearl Harbor is pretty nice; they take you through the city and up to the Punchbowl/National Cemetery of the Pacific.

Glad you are enjoying paradise.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM

18 posts, read 42,689 times
Waimea Valley Botanical Gardens

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_kitkat View Post
Oh, I'm a pro at TheBus by now. A stop is right by my place, and I agree. It can get you just about anywhere. Wasn't sure if it goes to Pearl Harbor, but I'm guessing it does. I'll have to look up routes.
Heres one way to get there from your neighborhood. Walk to Nimitz and take the 42 or 62 bus to the Arizona Memorial:

Ala Ilima St + Ala Nioi Pl to USS Arizona Memorial - Google Maps

Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Heres one way to get there from your neighborhood. Walk to Nimitz and take the 42 or 62 bus to the Arizona Memorial:

Ala Ilima St + Ala Nioi Pl to USS Arizona Memorial - Google Maps
That was nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: