Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM

109 posts, read 604,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Your friend stayed all of 2 days, then decided to leave after only seeing what was in walking distance of her hotel? I have to say her bad experience was her own fault, not Hawaii's.

I agree a 2 day stay on the Islands is not enough time to give her complaint much creditability.
Even tourists stay longer than 2 days.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM

795 posts, read 2,302,371 times
Red face how livable is you city

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
decided to leave after only seeing what was in walking distance of her hotel?
One time in NYC (Brooklyn) India Street Pier, I got off the vessel and walked around one block- what a city- I did not go back ashore again all the time we were tied up there.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM

109 posts, read 604,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
One time in NYC (Brooklyn) India Street Pier, I got off the vessel and walked around one block- what a city- I did not go back ashore again all the time we were tied up there.
That is not the same because you are being specific about a particular area and street in Brooklyn that is understandable and is easier to relate to. The prior post makes it sound like all of the Honolulu area is trashy.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times
Just what part of LA did you say she was staying in???? Sorry, but I smell a little Kukae, as in BS, on this one.....

Aloha

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

91 posts, read 427,004 times
The hotel where she stayed was called Equus. Hopefully I am spelling that right.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,675 times
Before we get this thread off on race and/or neighborhood GPS, let's consider again how remote the Hawaiian Island are once you actually get here. When you wake up here on vacation, it feels (and looks) like paradise because you know you are really far away from everything. When you wake up and realize you're here to stay, it can be overwhelming. Somehow, everything that is really appealing for vacation can just take your breath away when you realize you're in the middle of the Pacific on a tiny volcanic protrusion. Then there's the tendency (for many whites) to feel overwhelmed by a predominantly Asian culture, new "ways," blah, blah, blah.

Those of us who have chosen it after years of consideration can still be surprised by its "different-ness." No place you move to is ever like the comfy, familiar place you've left, and nothing focuses your attention on that like thousands of miles of ocean. No roads to drive out on like you have on the mainland. No way back except the way you came.

This does seem like a rather extreme example of escapism-gone-wrong, but let's face it -- we see escapism all over these threads. This person had a job and a plan. It just didn't work out, didn't match up to her "vision." Call me crazy, but I'd say "mid-life crisis" before I'd jump on race or the hotel neighborhood. Especially now that we know where she stayed. [A couple of years ago, I stayed outside LA in Northridge at a friend's for a few nights, and there were helicopters with spotlights -- presumably law enforcement -- all night one night, but I didn't "freak out" and it didn't make me feel I needed to flee. It didn't make me want to move there, either. The next day, there was no evidence of whatever had gone wrong the night before. At the other extreme, I stayed on the Grand Canal in Venice and was awakened by the garbage scows three mornings a week. Stuff happens.]

I'm only sorry that this is potentially keeping other Portlanders from visiting the islands. Whether they want to stay or not, I think it's a state that's worthy of visiting. There's nothing like it anywhere else.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

156 posts, read 806,917 times
Russians say: "Fools are lucky"!

She had everything, just didn't have guts.

Damn, I understand recruiters who don’t want hire anyone from mainland.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,313,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
She told me on the way back from the airport that (and this is a girl that LOVED Hawaii since she was a teenager) I NEVER want to see that place again! I said "even Maui"? and she said YES, I AM DONE!

Loved Hawaii since a teenager?? What part of Hawaii had she visited before? Had she ever been off a resort property or outside of Waikiki? If so, then she must be aware that a busy street in Waikiki is not what Hawaii is all about!

I moved here sight unseen at the age of 25 to teach. From the airport to Ewa Beach. My apartment wasn't much and my street wasn't exactly the picture of paradise I had envisioned...but I was easily able to see the bigger picture!

Hope she learns a lesson from this mis-adventure...and looks inward to find the reasons for the failure of her plans. Can't blame Hawaii for this one.

(I'll add that after living in small-town Hilo for several years without visiting Oahu, being back in Honolulu last December was a bit of a shock, for about 10 minutes. But it's not particularly intimidating. A few areas I would probably avoid at night, but that did not stop us from wandering around near Chinatown after a late dinner and a couple of drinks. Both of us have been in bigger cities and felt much more trepidation in more dangerous areas.)

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,684,484 times
Sounds to me like she got heavy duty homesick and it caused her to freak out!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
The hotel where she stayed was called Equus. Hopefully I am spelling that right.
In Waikiki, across from the Ilikai, near Hobron Lane.

Hotel near Ala Moana Harbor | Aqua Hotels & Resorts - Location | Hawaii Convention Center Hotel (http://www.aquaresorts.com/aqua-equus/location.htm - broken link)

I've been in that area at night proably fifty times. Never a problem.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu