Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM

109 posts, read 603,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Really? What do you mean?
What I mean is that White Americans don't want to be treated simply as another minority. Probably because being a minority is still a new concept to them.
and in all honesty they are really treated no better or worse than other minorities. The exception would be if you are a minority group that has power or status on the Islands. In my opinion it is the Japanese and Chinese that have the higher minority status on the Islands. Most of the times Japanese, and Chinese are your bosses not White Americans or Haoles. Simply look at who runs our local government how many American names do you see? This is one way minorities can determine their status.
Lets just face it as a minority many of us can relate to being treated like a second class citizen. One way to change this is for your racial group to take power or control over the government. A minority group will not be treated special if their group is under represented

"Being Japanese or Chinese on the Islands is similar to being White on the mainland". "Being Haole or White American on the Islands is not the same as being white on the mainland".

Last edited by manoagirl; 08-18-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM

25 posts, read 125,045 times
Hawaii life is not for everyone. I do wish your friend had visited first but even then....... visiting an area and living there are two different things. I hope someday she finds some place that makes her truly happy.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM

72 posts, read 316,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoagirl View Post
What I mean is that White Americans don't want to be treated simply as another minority. Probably because being a minority is still a new concept to them.

Wow. What a blanket statement.

Didn't I just read a post of yours in another thread accusing someone else of huge generalizations?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 AM

13,679 posts, read 20,816,033 times
Quote:
Well I reckon we would like to be treated as human beings. A simple notion yet curiously hard to grasp by those of the apartheid mentality.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM

No one wants to be in the minority. I think we need to be careful of reverse discrimination.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM

109 posts, read 603,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loysum View Post
No one wants to be in the minority. I think we need to be careful of reverse discrimination.
Well said, that was the point I was making that no one wants to be treated like a minority everyone wants to be treated like a human being and for some groups it is a new concept. Not that they deserve it but it is just the way it is. Thanks for getting my post.
It saddens me to read about anyone not being treated fairly because I have many different nationalities in my family and I feel for all of them. I also have Haoles in my family and it saddens me as a local to think that they would be treated poorly just because of their race. If people would treat people the way they want to be treated, then there would be less problems.

Just yesterday at my job a new manager was introduced to our company who is African American, Guess what she was stationed on Oahu when she was in the Air Force, and has nothing but horror stories of the Islands. There are a couple of guys in the office there that claim they are "Royal Hawaiians, Yea right! (sarcasm) Any how they came up to me saying that the new manager was already giving them "Stink Eye" now they are concern they might get moved to another department. My point is Hawaii is starting to get a bad rap on the mainland, it never used to be this way! I hope this changes because locals will not be welcome on the mainland like they once were. I don't really understand all the increased Haole aggression because Hawaiians were not treated poorly by Haoles when they came to the mainland, nor were Hawaiians treated poorly by blacks. We all need to find a way to just get along.

Last edited by manoagirl; 08-20-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM

756 posts, read 2,577,014 times
sounds like ur friend did not do her homework....

pretty unwise to 'get up an move' to a completely diferent state without first checking it out.....

guess she learned the hard way...

Old 08-20-2008, 04:51 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,270,386 times
Quote:
I don't really understand all the increased Haole aggression because Hawaiians were not treated poorly by Haoles when they came to the mainland, nor were Hawaiians treated poorly by blacks. We all need to find a way to just get along.
I guess you aren't aware of the treatment that Alexander Liholiho and Lot Kapuiwa received while they were traveling by train throughout the United States during the 19th Century.
Alexander Liholiho and Lot Kamehameha travel abroad - Hawaii History - Short Stories
Kamehameha IV - Hawaii History - Monarchs

Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I went to those two websites. That was really interesting and not something I remember them teaching us when I took Hawaiiana in High School. Of course there is a chance I wasn't paying as much attention as I should. Ha.
Bottom line I think is shouldn't we all just do our best to get along?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
My friend says whenever she goes to the mainland she becomes "Mexican" since nobody can figure out any other ethnic pigeon hole to place her in. Betcha this isn't anything new and they did the same thing to the princes.

Hey, ya notice nobody complains that we put all the Norwegians, Danes, Kiwis, French, English, Russians, Aussies and all da kine into one big group and call 'em all "haoles"? Seems if we can tell Asians and Islanders apart, how come we can't tell Swedish folks from Danish folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu