Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,947,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hey, ya notice nobody complains that we put all the Norwegians, Danes, Kiwis, French, English, Russians, Aussies and all da kine into one big group and call 'em all "haoles"? Seems if we can tell Asians and Islanders apart, how come we can't tell Swedish folks from Danish folks?
I think it's from

"US" vs "THEM".

It's really a pretty common perception, and can make for troubles, or not. I've seen a bit of a series on MSNBC recently, on life in prison, and it's really rampant there.(bad)

Same attitude in gangs in LA.(bad)

In some settings, like Recovering Alcoholics who attend AA meetings, or support groups for spouses of Alzheimers patients, it's good.

Hank

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 38,476 times
Default Halopa

Wow! Two short days and she flew the coop! I must say, I doubt her excuses or reasons for giving up on Hawaii. Rather circumspect. One would have to somewhat unstable to behave in such a rash manner. It would be nice if we could hear from the horses mouth regarding this whole affair.

I can't begin to comprehend that anyone would give up so easily. Especially when your talking about paradise. I wonder what really burst her bubble? Perhaps that job fell through and she was too embarrassed to cop to it.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM

66 posts, read 354,430 times
She did what was right for her. Hope she is happy.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,846,872 times
Maybe the woman just had a sense of panic and tumbled into the wrong neighborhood/island. From what you've told us, she seems like a sensible person (besides the fact that she moved somewhere without knowing what it was like). But sometimes a drastic lifestyle change not to mention change of scenery can send the most sensible person into a panic and make them regret it enough to run backward. It's unfortunate but just a fact that some people can move somewhere by themselves and take it with a grain of salt, while others do not. She went and didn't like it, so hopefully she appreciates her home and moves on with her life.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:44 AM

208 posts, read 980,416 times
sounds like your friend was not ready to move and was not prepared...

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM

91 posts, read 426,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe the woman just had a sense of panic and tumbled into the wrong neighborhood/island. From what you've told us, she seems like a sensible person (besides the fact that she moved somewhere without knowing what it was like). But sometimes a drastic lifestyle change not to mention change of scenery can send the most sensible person into a panic and make them regret it enough to run backward. It's unfortunate but just a fact that some people can move somewhere by themselves and take it with a grain of salt, while others do not. She went and didn't like it, so hopefully she appreciates her home and moves on with her life.
She really appreciates where she lives now.. She has done a complete 180! She use to complain alot about Portland... not now. She has a new appreciation and I have seen it. In fact, every time she says something like "oh, I love it here!".. I say, "can I get that in writing?" as I have never heard such words from her mouth. I think it was a humbling experience and she has found a new appreciation for "home"

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 AM
lei

5 posts, read 34,236 times
I'm sorry that you're friend had a bad experience. It may have been pretty overwhelming, in having to find a place and begin a new job, in a new environment. I don't know, but when I look around I always see many ethinicities, including caucasions. .... and I am from Waianae (considered to be the bronx, as some say of the island). I have family in Oregon, and have been in area's where I couldn't understand the vendors, or would consider traveling alone because of unfamiliar grounds. However, you ask questions to gain knowledge and reduce your fears. Time would help. As far as gun shots ...., more like, leftover fireworks that are often set off by brats. Goodluck to your friend, hope she finds peace.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 24,408 times
2 days...2 days??? That's a bit extreme. I find it difficult to believe your friend is level-headed and not prone to snap judgements. Her trip sounds more like she moved into downtown Baghdad than Honolulu; completely unrepresentative of life on Oahu in every way.

As far as cop cars and sirens, there is a very visible police presence in Waikiki (there's a police station right on the beach) so I wouldn't be surprised about hearing cop cars and sirens. Gunshots? Because of the heavy police presence I doubt it highly; I think like another poster mentioned, it was more likely firecrackers, or the backfire of a car's exhaust. Waikiki is haloed ground to the Government as it is the lifeblood of tourism to the island; they'll do ANYTHING to keep it protected.

However, living in Waikiki is objectionable to most locals because of tourists and local riff raff abusing the heck out of the place. Because of this there are seedly little side streets in Waikiki just off the beaten path. Chances are your friend happened upon them on foot.

As far as the Caucasian population; there are almost as many of them as there are Asians; which represent the majority (by a small margin).

As far as I can tell, your friend got it wrong on all counts, it's too bad the 2 days she spent were as bad to her as she described and that she felt compelled to flee. Well at least she's happy now. C'est la vie.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-01-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,527,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireNForget View Post
Gunshots?
It is certainly possible in Waikiki, after all both the Kahala Crips and Kahala Bloods have been fighting over the control of Waikiki for years. LOL! There are drive-by shootings all night....that is tourists shooting their cameras. LOL!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 24,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It is certainly possible in Waikiki, after all both the Kahala Crips and Kahala Bloods have been fighting over the control of Waikiki for years. LOL! There are drive-by shootings all night....that is tourists shooting their cameras. LOL!
Ah yes, the poverty stricken Kahala youth, something must be done to improve those "ghetto" conditions. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu