Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 120,097 times

Advertisements

My brother is in the Navy and I would like to be closer to him so I am considering a move to Hawaii. I have absolutely nothing tying me down here and would likely sell what little I have before I went over. I am a 26 yr. old active female and just want a little more information.

I have read tons of threads but for some reason most of them seem to apply to Maui and not the Oahu area.

Some Questions.

1. How is public transportation? Right now I am looking at jobs in Pearl City and Waikiki and I do not currently have a car. I am wondering how well the buses run and how long they usually take, say going from Waikiki to Pearl City and vice versa. I've heard traffic is nuts.

2. Which area is more expensive, Waikiki or Pearl City and which is safer? Where are the best places to rent? Being a pretty tough female, I'm hoping safety is not such a huge issue as I have heard, but I would like to know ahead of time. Racism does not bother me in the least, so that has effect in my decisions.

3. As far as nightlife, what areas between Pearl City and Waikiki have a larger nightlife and lots of people close to my own age? Also how much daytime activity is close to these cities, such as hiking, surfing, biking, anything I can do outdoors?

4. Since I will be coming over with no furniture, how hard is it to get new stuff and can I find relatively decent priced stuff? I heard there are no major furniture stores which is fine with me, but I would need a king size bed since I'm pretty tall. And also are food prices about the same as the Mainland. I currently live in a mountain resort town in Colorado and am used to higher prices already.

5. Any other helpful hints or tips I have not thought of yet would be very much appreciated. Oh and how are the gyms in this area? I would assume since the military bases are there they would be pretty decent.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 AM

682 posts, read 2,796,893 times
I haven't been to Pearl City yet, so I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable to comment. But for 4 & 5:

4. We furnished our apartment (bedroom & living room) for about $1000 on Craigslist. It took some time. I got a queen bed. I've seen some kings posted, probably fewer of them and more money. Another option is a hotel furniture reseller (we're going to check it out for our guest bedroom this weekend). Most of the stuff we got we have since recognized as coming from City Mill. It's all pretty decent stuff, and not too expensive even new. I *do* long for an Ikea, though...

5. Why join a gym? The weather is great. Go running, paddling, swimming, surfing, hiking. It's all right there and *free*! (But, yeah, there are gyms around. YMCAs too. I'm sure you can find something reasonable if you're jonsing for free weights.)

Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 125,039 times
There are tons of buses all the time going from Waikiki to Pearl City and visa versa. It'll take over an hour though. So if you don't have a car you'll need to leave plenty early to make it in time. Also if you're catching the bus during peak hours you can't always count on them stopping for you cause if they're full they will pass you on by.
I never lived in Pearl City so have no idea about the night life. I have lived in Waikiki and been to a club or two. It was okay but I am not really into clubs. But if I had to guess I would choose Waikiki for any night time fun. I wouldn't think Pearl City has a night life. It's just a small town. I would choose Pearl City over Waikiki in terms of safety. But when I lived in Waikiki it was more fun. Just people watching was a great pass time plus boogie boarding.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 120,097 times
Default Busses

If the busses take so long are the taxi's pretty reliable? And if not is it pretty easy to get a cheap car there?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,901,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegiangiant View Post
If the busses take so long are the taxi's pretty reliable? And if not is it pretty easy to get a cheap car there?
My impression is it's the traffic that's slow, so taxis are only so much help. Buses are slower because they run set routes and stop lots of places. Anybody who's used to commuting via bus in any city will be fine -- it's the transition from driving yourself to public transportation that's an adjustment.

Cheap cars are plentiful. Cheap parking is not.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM

72 posts, read 316,903 times
I know someone who lived on Oahu for a couple years with nothing but a bicycle.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 125,039 times
For about two years I rode a moped around. It was only humbug when it rained. Great on gas and you didn't need insurance. I have no idea how much taxis cost. I haven't been back to the islands in years. But if you had to pay for one 2 times per day five days a week that could get kind of expensive.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM

72 posts, read 316,903 times
What kind of lifting are you into?

I know there is a chain of 24 Hour Fitness there if you're just looking for a commercial gym. Pretty sure there are a couple powerlifting places somewhere on the island too.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,803 times
Default Moving?!

Hi! I have read your thread and here is my take on the situation.. I have lived in Hawaii for three years now..

1. Public Transportation: Basically you have two choices here... The Bus or The Taxi.. The Bus is a pretty inexpensive choice but I would not want to take the bus much further than the city I lived in.. Meaning if I lived in Pearl City and worked in Waikiki the bus would definately not cut it. Now, the taxi.. DO NOT DO IT! I took the taxi from Pearl City to Waikiki and was charged $75!!! Ehh...

2. Expensiveness: Well most of Hawaii is very expensive.. if you're asking about renting.. Then Waikiki is definately WAY more expensive. Safeness.. I'd actually say Hawaii is a realitively safe place to live unless you have a motorcycle.. it might get stolen. Most of the people here a really friendly and laxed. As long as you're not a total prick the locals won't be either.

3. Nightlife: Waikiki is the winner here.. Waikiki is the epicenter of nightlife on Oahu..

4. Furniture: Furniture can be very expensive or very cheap on how you go about it. If you try buying from on of the local stores it will be expensive considering almost everything has to be ordered and shipped here.. (Just like brand new cars).. But you say your brother is in the Navy so ultimately he could take you to the NEX's furniture store and that is actually much cheaper.. But be careful with this the moving company the NEX has hired will not move furniture up more than 1 flight of stairs.. Weird, I know.. Another option is to go to one of those rent to own companies and get some relitively inexpensive furniture.. OR you could do craigslist which really I would say would be the best answer.

5. Gyms: Most housing/apartments have gyms, I have know clue how good they are tho.. I'm sure they'll get the job done.

6. Other helpful tips: You have to remember that almost everything in Hawaii is imported.. so almost everything is more expensive than in the mainland.. Craigslist is your friend, remember that. You could very easily find a cheap car, furniture, motorcycle, tv, or even a date on craigslist. The most beautiful place on the island is North Shore... be sure to try and get up there some time.. Pearl City has what I call "the cheap mall" and Waikiki has what I call "the rich people mall" Basically cheap mall is commercial like macy's and hollister.. and rich people mall is Nordstroms and Gucci and Chanel and even the apple store! I hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
pba

410 posts, read 918,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegiangiant View Post
My brother is in the Navy and I would like to be closer to him so I am considering a move to Hawaii. I have absolutely nothing tying me down here and would likely sell what little I have before I went over. I am a 26 yr. old active female and just want a little more information.

I have read tons of threads but for some reason most of them seem to apply to Maui and not the Oahu area.

Some Questions.

1. How is public transportation? Right now I am looking at jobs in Pearl City and Waikiki and I do not currently have a car. I am wondering how well the buses run and how long they usually take, say going from Waikiki to Pearl City and vice versa. I've heard traffic is nuts.

2. Which area is more expensive, Waikiki or Pearl City and which is safer? Where are the best places to rent? Being a pretty tough female, I'm hoping safety is not such a huge issue as I have heard, but I would like to know ahead of time. Racism does not bother me in the least, so that has effect in my decisions.

3. As far as nightlife, what areas between Pearl City and Waikiki have a larger nightlife and lots of people close to my own age? Also how much daytime activity is close to these cities, such as hiking, surfing, biking, anything I can do outdoors?

4. Since I will be coming over with no furniture, how hard is it to get new stuff and can I find relatively decent priced stuff? I heard there are no major furniture stores which is fine with me, but I would need a king size bed since I'm pretty tall. And also are food prices about the same as the Mainland. I currently live in a mountain resort town in Colorado and am used to higher prices already.

5. Any other helpful hints or tips I have not thought of yet would be very much appreciated. Oh and how are the gyms in this area? I would assume since the military bases are there they would be pretty decent.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Trying to get closer to Dog the Bounty Hunter, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu