Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

my fiance is in the navy, he is getting transfered to oahu on dec 3rd, and i cant leave home until februaury we plan on living in base housing but im thinking he is going to be away on his sub by the time i can move to our new home, and i have never even been to hawii!! i need some input on a job i can easily qualify for, i have no degree but have had plenty of retail/ cashire expirience, i just know the cost of living is pretty high and i will need a decent job and am not sure what the islands have to offer also transportation? im curios as to what its like to live as a navy or military wife alone on an island bet its nice, but i have to admit im a little nurvous on how to get by with my husband away anyone that can help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Contact the military base and see how the wives' club is set up. They have a lot of military support for the military folks. If you were already married, the Navy would probably ship your stuff with his stuff which would save a lot right there. Also as a wife, you'd have access to the PBX, too. Can he get married quarters before he gets married? Wouldn't they put him in bachelor's quarters? It might be worthwhile to have at least a civil marriage ceremony before he transfers so things will be easier for him to set up to include you in his military life. You can have a religious ceremony or reception later if you needed more time to prepare. Eloping saves a lot of money when it comes to getting married but that isn't always an option for many folks. A very small private ceremony followed by a larger reception can also save money.

For transportation the bus system on Oahu services the military bases pretty well so transportation should be good. On base, bicycles work well. Will you be at Pearl? The housing there is fairly new and the terrain is fairly flat - good for bicycles. There should be cashier type jobs around but they probably won't pay all that well so do whatever you can to keep your expenses low. The less you spend, the less you have to earn and the more time you have to go to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu