Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 PM

11 posts, read 204,215 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the best neighborhoods in Honolulu would be - in town,(definitely dont want to be commuting on the freeway), safe, "urban" feel. I'm a single mid-20s woman. Also, I have a married friend with two small children considering the move to Honolulu - what are his best bets?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,281 times
Hmm....the Only Neighborhoods That Come To Mind Are :kaimuki Or Wakiki, Both Are Very Expensive (anything Near Town Is)...wakiki, Full Of Tourists But A Fun Place To Be...what Kind Of" Urban Feel" Do You Mean? There Is Chinatown, It Has Bars, Arts,coffee Shops Etc.....but, You Definitly Wouldn't Want To Live There, It's Not Safe....if Your Looking For A Super Urban Feel Like Ny Or Chicago, You Won't Find That In Hawaii...it's Full Of Tourist, Very Kick Back Islanders, It's Definitly A Slower Place...most People Are Polite, Helpful And Drive Well!! Oh And Bring A Very Big Wallet....it's The Highest Cost Of Living In The Nation,when You Factor In Gas, Utilities, Groceries Etc.....aloha

Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM

ok, scratch the "urban feel" comment I made - I really just want to live in town, with the shortest commute possible (will be working at Queen's and Kaiser Hospitals) in a safe, quiet, affordable neighborhood. I'll be renting a 1 bedrooom or studio.
thanks for the comment, any additional info on areas of honolulu to avoid would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs up well~~ the people are great-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepaholic View Post
ok, scratch the "urban feel" comment I made - I really just want to live in town, with the shortest commute possible (will be working at Queen's and Kaiser Hospitals) in a safe, quiet, affordable neighborhood. I'll be renting a 1 bedrooom or studio.
thanks for the comment, any additional info on areas of honolulu to avoid would be appreciated.
I was very impressed with the culture; their professionalism and literacy. We stayed at Ohana- Waikiki has the shopping and restaurants; the North Shore has the beautiful beaches and more laid-back appeal. The southwestern part of Oahu was sort of dicey- some unemployed (west of the airport).

If you like a city, you will love it. I have heard its expensive though. If I could retire right now, I would move there in an instant!

sunny

Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM

you should be fine by queens. a one bed would probably cost around 700-800 a month..start your apt. search early as rentals go very quickly, there's usually anywhere from 5 to 20 people looking at the same apt.....a lot of homeowners on the islands have studio or 1 bedroom apt. within their property...that's also a good way to go, as much of the time your utilities will be included in the rental price..when we first moved here we rented a studio in waikiki for 3 weeks and it ran $1200.....good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Default specific ares of honolulu

thanks for the info! what about these areas of town, as far as safety and affordability are concerned: Kalihi, Nuunua, Punchbowl, Pacific Heights, Makiki?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM

kalihi:...wouldn't put my worst enemy there
pacific heights: crowded old homes and one way in and one way out, some nice veiws though!
punchbowl: certain parts just ok
nuuanu: pretty nice bout the same as puchbowl, but less crowded

if i had to choose...hawaii kai, kailua, some parts of upper makakilo, portlock....all of these are VERY expensive....and traffic is a nightmare during rush hour...do heavy research is the only advice i could give!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM

62 posts, read 332,565 times
I hope the original poster won't mind me jumping into this thread. Terrie, do you know anything about these neighborhoods - Aina Haina, Niu Valley or Waialae Iki? I believe they are all considered to be in the Diamond Head area? We looked at Hawaii Kai, but are afraid the commute would be too long. My husband would be working near the airport. Also, I will be having to drive in to get my daughter to school (looks like most of the private schools are in Honolulu proper - also, for that matter if you have any input on schools...). Any feedback appreciated!!

Thanks

Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Kahala- Waialai

Sorry I Can't Help You With The Schools (my Kids Are Grown)...the General Thought Here Is The Schools Are Not Great....private Seems To Be The Way To Go....although I Know It's Around 10,000 A Year....all Of The Areas You Mentioned Are Very Nice...hawaii Kai Would Be Your Longest Commute For Sure....kahala-waialai Is Considered The Nicest Area Of The Island That Is Near Town.. (most Expensive Too)....anything Around Diamond Head Is Very Nice.....i Would Stay Away From Getting Too Close To Waikiki...hope This Helps

Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Ps Nui Valley, Aina Haina....very Close To Hawaii Kai....but Also Nice Areas....if You Live Near Diamondhead The Commute To The Airport Would Take About 20 Mins No Traffic...the Good News Is He Would Be Going Against Traffic.....do You Mind If I Ask Where Your Moving From And What Part Of The Airport He Will Be Working In>?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu