Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 65,686 times

Advertisements

HOWDY! What areas do u recomend living in honolulu? im gunna be moving there in the future as a massage therapist! im ether gunna work at a resort or a chriropracter clinic im prolly gunna get a moped or ride the bus or if i can walk/ Bike

im looking for a 1 bedroom apartment to live in doesnt have to be big or anything just need to sleep and chill/hang out in and furnished if possible, im looking to pay 700-1000 bucks a month and if i can utilities included( water,gas,electricity if im lucky basic cable maybe even internet lol) i found lots of places on craigslist but dont know what areas to check out and which ones to stay away from! i dont wanna get stabbed/shot/jumped and i want it to be safe to walk around at night/day!

basicly i just have these few ?s

What Areas do yall recomend in the honolulu area?( good ones that are in or close to my price range?)

What areas do yall recomend to stay away from in the honolulu areas?( bad ones)

is a moped a good idea? or would i be better off with a car or takin the bus?

How do you like the bus system? is it worth my time?

what are gas prices right now for regular?

Do yall know of another websites to check out other than craigslist for apartments?

and any other advise or recomendations that yall have would be very grateful thank you for your time!

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-23-2008 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: edited personal info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 PM

116 posts, read 397,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwa6 View Post
HOWDY! What areas do u recomend living in honolulu? im gunna be moving there in the future as a massage therapist! im ether gunna work at a resort or a chriropracter clinic im prolly gunna get a moped or ride the bus or if i can walk/ Bike

im looking for a 1 bedroom apartment to live in doesnt have to be big or anything just need to sleep and chill/hang out in and furnished if possible, im looking to pay 700-1000 bucks a month and if i can utilities included( water,gas,electricity if im lucky basic cable maybe even internet lol) i found lots of places on craigslist but dont know what areas to check out and which ones to stay away from! i dont wanna get stabbed/shot/jumped and i want it to be safe to walk around at night/day!

basicly i just have these few ?s
Quote:
What Areas do yall recomend in the honolulu area?( good ones that are in or close to my price range?)
It would help if you just list a few places that you've looked at that meet your standards for the price you are willing to pay. I have a friend that lives in the Lusitana area near Queen's Medical Center. Kind of noisy as it's right up against the freeway, but convenient to a lot of stuff.

Quote:
What areas do yall recomend to stay away from in the honolulu areas?( bad ones)
I would recommend staying out of Kalihi.

Quote:
is a moped a good idea? or would i be better off with a car or takin the bus?
A moped is a popular mode of transportation especially in the University to Downtown Honolulu and Waikiki areas.

Quote:
How do you like the bus system? is it worth my time?
"The Bus" which is what it is actually called is pretty good on Oahu. Here's their website so you can check routes, etc. TheBus Home Page It'll probably work well for you if you live in town. Many people ride the bus daily from all over the island as their main mode of transportation.

Quote:
what are gas prices right now for regular?
Regular gas at Costco was $2.38 about 1 week ago.

Quote:
Do yall know of another websites to check out other than craigslist for apartments?
Stott Realty's website Oahu Rental Informatio (http://www.stott.com/rentals-guide.html - broken link) lists various sources for rental information.

Quote:
and any other advise or recomendations that yall have would be very grateful thank you for your time!
Oceanic Time Warner Cable is the main cable provider on Oahu and offers telephone and high-speed internet. Hawaiian Telcom (HT) also provides telephone and DSL. HT is cheaper, but they are teetering on bankruptcy. Electricity for one person, not home all the time would probably be $100/mo. If you rent, water, and sometimes basic cable TV, may probably be included in your rent. I'm not sure how much natural gas costs. You should be able to find a place in town in the price range you're looking. Be prepared to pay an application fee and having a credit check run on you.

Also, hotels have cut back on hiring because of the major slow down in tourism. So, it may be difficult to find employment at the hotels.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM

346 posts, read 968,030 times
im looking for a 1 bedroom apartment to live in doesnt have to be big or anything just need to sleep and chill/hang out in and furnished if possible, im looking to pay 700-1000 bucks a month
You're gonna have to have a roomie or live in a ghetto apartment.

You can get a decent studio in Waikiki for around $1200

Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Friend of mine is paying $650 but it is for an apartment in Kalihi that is shared with two other people. Utilities aren't included, either but he does have one parking space.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM

66 posts, read 354,021 times
Please wear a helmet if you'll be riding a moped! I know the sun and breeze are nice but it's even better having an intact skull!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: