Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 65,951 times

Advertisements

Job- work at a chiropractic office or a hotel resort in honolulu as a massage therapist!

Hawaii plane ticket-$600-$700 (honolulu) from texas

Moped-$2000

unless if the bus is good enough were i wont need a vehicle do yall like the bus? is it a good way of transpertation in honolulu for goin to your job apartment and fun places?

Shipping (like 10 boxs maybe less all way under 50 pounds)-?

Rent $800-$1200 a month

Application fee first and last month-?

Basic Highspeed Internet-$100

Electricity- forty five cents a kilowatt hour? an estimate would be cool for like a one bedroom apartment?

Water-$25 a month ?

Food-? an estimate would be fine cause i know food is expensive due to shipping

and if anybody could tell me the places not to live in honolulu and the places that you would recomend a white 22 year old very friendly and kind! texas cowboy that would be amazing all ive been told is not to live in Kalihi but im sure there are more places that i need to stay away from so please could i have your input on the places that u recomend and the places u dont ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 PM

246 posts, read 652,729 times
I'd say, in a nutshell, raise your overall expenses assumptions by 10% and lower your job and monthly salary expectations by 30%.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,147,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwa6 View Post
Job- work at a chiropractic office or a hotel resort in honolulu as a massage therapist!

Hawaii plane ticket-$600-$700 (honolulu) from texas

Moped-$2000

unless if the bus is good enough were i wont need a vehicle do yall like the bus? is it a good way of transpertation in honolulu for goin to your job apartment and fun places?

Shipping (like 10 boxs maybe less all way under 50 pounds)-?

Rent $800-$1200 a month

Application fee first and last month-?

Basic Highspeed Internet-$100

Electricity- forty five cents a kilowatt hour? an estimate would be cool for like a one bedroom apartment?

Water-$25 a month ?

Food-? an estimate would be fine cause i know food is expensive due to shipping

and if anybody could tell me the places not to live in honolulu and the places that you would recomend a white 22 year old very friendly and kind! texas cowboy that would be amazing all ive been told is not to live in Kalihi but im sure there are more places that i need to stay away from so please could i have your input on the places that u recomend and the places u dont ?
As far as I know, many massage therapists work "free lance" or "on call" instead of a set schedule even if they are working for a hotel or chiropractor's office.

Frequently, the folks who claim to be massage therapists are not really massage therapists at all but practicing a much older (and illegal in Hawaii) trade and so female massage therapists are usually much more likely to find work than male massage therapists, especially for work in salons that advertise things like "body shampoos". Although there is a certain crowd who does prefer the male therapists who are males themselves and they may also be hoping for "extra services". I have a friend who is a massage therapist, she only does massage and will take my head off if I even mention to her that other massage therapists might be hookers in disguise since apparently it is a very sore subject with her. Considering how much flack she probably gets on a daily basis from that idea the general public has of massage therapists I could see why she'd be touchy. So when looking for work, you may run across these presumptions, I don't know if they will make it more difficult for you or not.

So, finding work might not be for a certain set amount of hours each week, it might be on call so you wouldn't have health benefits if that would be a concern for you, nor would you have a set weekly income but a variable one. You'd need a bit more financial planning to keep enough in savings to cover short weeks.

Perhaps looking for work as a live in caretaker for an elderly person might give you work as well as a place to live while you get situated? Being a massage therapist might be a benefit for that sort of employment as well. That would solve the work/place to live conundrum.

You can get the plane ticket prices online better than from here and the prices, at least of inter-island airfare, have been dropping lately.

The Bus is a good transportation option in Honolulu. Saves tons on having to find parking and it has a very useful schedule to many areas. If you are working on call, though, it might be more difficult for you to use and if you have to carry a portable massage table with you, that will add to the difficulties. I don't know if you can take a massage table with you onto the bus or not. Mopeds, motor scooters and motorcycles are all good forms of transportation in Honolulu, mostly because there is more parking for them.

That rent figure seems a bit low and I think they can only charge one month's rent as a deposit, but I'm not certain on that. I'd suggest sharing an apartment with some folks so you can get an apartment in a nicer area of town and have some folks that can give you advice on a daily basis and it would cost less. Check around the Daimond Head/Kohala area for a room mate situation that is an upscale area which will frequently have a house to share situation. Most of your massage clients would come from the more affluent areas of town anyway and commuting to your clients would be shorter that way.

Shipping boxes is generally cheapest by U.S. postal service Parcel Post. If you can have someone ship your boxes to you after you get here, that would save a lot of schlepping of boxes around until you get set up. You also don't need much as much stuff here as on the mainland, folks don't dress up as much or put as much emphasis on determining who you are by what you have. Also, if you are renting an apartment with other folks, there will already most likely be kitchenware and all those sorts of things available.

Finding an apartment to share may have the internet, water, utilities already factored into the price or you would be paying a portion of them instead of the whole thing. I really don't think you will be able to afford to live by yourself in your own apartment on the amount of money you can immediately make as a newly transplanted massage therapist.

As far as food, yesterday we met a fellow who had just moved here from Boston with his wife and small child. He said he was shocked at how much food cost. Bread, he said, should be seventy nine cents a loaf and here the cheapest he could find was close to three dollars. Cereals were five and six dollars a box and he was expecting them to be a dollar and a half. Part of this may have been he was used to shopping and buying specific brands, he may also have found the expensive stores, but even buying house brand and shopping the sales he would still be paying at least twice what he is used to. Almost all food is shipped in and the shipping rates just went up another 3-4% so that will increase the food prices by that much.

Cooking at home will save a lot of money, eating lower on the food chain saves a lot of money, growing food even if it is a jar of sprouts on the window sill helps, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu