Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 112,125 times

Advertisements

Aloha, everyone.

My family (me, spouse, 3 kids ages 5, 3, 2) might be moving to Honolulu as my spouse has been presented with a job opportunity. We are just starting to look at real estate, and it looks like the most affordable option would be to live in an apt (most likely renting...I think...for now). In Honolulu, and in the surrounding cities, is it common for families live in apartments? We'd like to meet other families and we fear if we are in an apt, we might have a hard time meeting other tenants with kids.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeToComeHome View Post
Aloha, everyone.

My family (me, spouse, 3 kids ages 5, 3, 2) might be moving to Honolulu as my spouse has been presented with a job opportunity. We are just starting to look at real estate, and it looks like the most affordable option would be to live in an apt (most likely renting...I think...for now). In Honolulu, and in the surrounding cities, is it common for families live in apartments? We'd like to meet other families and we fear if we are in an apt, we might have a hard time meeting other tenants with kids.

Thanks!
I think it's pretty common. The weather is so conducive to outdoor living 12 months out of the year, that it is not going to keep you holed up inside, so you're more likely to meet your neighbors here than in a mainland apartment, I think.

I'd look for one with a playground, or near a park with playground equipment.

Hank

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

96 posts, read 323,731 times
My experience is that lots of people live in apartments in Hawaii. One of the best solutions is to rent something for a few months and look around at the area to find a long term rental. There is a lot of difference in the communities and it is better to house hunt on the island when you are there not before you arrive.
Marie

Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 AM

116 posts, read 397,681 times
Default Honolulu Living

Honolulu's zipcode is a large area. If you can afford it, rent in the Moanalua area. Moanalua Elementary is one of the best public schools. Grading the Public Schools - Honolulu Magazine - May 2008 - Hawaii It's a neighborhood with a mix of single family homes, highrises and townhomes. It also has a good mix of local and military. Close to downtown (10-15 minutes) and all of the in-town amenities (e.g. major hospitals, lots of physicians office buildings, preschools, major shopping malls, etc.). Condo prices are dropping faster than single family homes. Oahu home sales dive, but prices stable | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

If you cannot afford a single family home, then look into a townhouse rather than a high-rise condo. I think there are more opportunities to get to know your neighbors in a townhouse complex, rather than a high-rise condo, but that is just my opinion.

Here is a good website that gives really good information about current and past sales of homes. Oahu Real Estate

As indicated by AlohaMarie, rent for a few months (although it may have to be a year as most leases are for 1 year) and get to know the different neighborhoods, what they have to offer, and then see if you want to invest in property.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:04 AM

66 posts, read 354,319 times
Exclamation Don't do it!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeToComeHome View Post
Aloha, everyone.

Thanks!
I've been living in Honolulu with kids in different apartments and I just have to say I've just about gone out of my mind. We recently lived in a 2 story walk up on a second floor apt with my 5 kids and it was absolutely miserable. We moved there because the bottom floor duplex we previously rented was being renovated and the lovely management gave us only 12 days notice to relocate. Illegal yes, huge hassle yes! But we didn't want to spend time and money in court just to have to move in a couple of months anyway.

A big reason for our misery was 2 very crazy neighbors. One unemployed bum boyfriend of the first floor tenant who got drunk and harassed everyone and a very frazzled over worked woman who fought loudly *in Japanese and Spanish* with her husband right next door. They ganged up and complained about EVERYTHING from the smell of our food to any noises our 2 yr old made. This lady we lived next to continually harassed us and the tenants below. She would come and scream at us and the lower tenants and even physically struck one of the lower tenants. Yes the police were called, lots of fun drama. Then the building changed owners so we had to move again. Needless to say we were not too upset about it this time.

Now we live on the top floor in a duplex and again it really sucks. We have more room, a nice downstairs area for the kids to play around on BUT the downstairs tenant is a certifiable CRAZY old man. This man made it clear to everyone in the vicinity that he did not want us there on the day we were moving in. For three months now he has continually harassed our family to the point we've had to get a restraining order against him. Luckily our lease is up the end of January and yes we will move again.

I would highly discourage against apt living with your amt and ages of children. It is feasible but will probably not be fun at all.

Why? Honolulu is full of crazy people, honestly, many are brain fried from the sun. You can't choose your *very close* neighbors in an apt and many managers are hands off and only care that the rent is paid on time. If the crazies are paying the rent they get to stay no matter what. Don't even bother filing a complaint because you will be seen as the problem. One manager told me that I was the problem because I was an "outsider." Mind you I've lived on Oahu almost 7 years.

If you are not on a bottom floor with at least some enclosed area the kids will get very stir crazy and daily destroy the house.

I would highly recommend renting a house, townhouse, or duplex at least. Bottom floor preferably. Ever hear the quote, "Good fences make good neighbors." Prices are cheaper the further out from town you go. Well unless you go to Hawaii Kai. Hawaii Home Ownership Center is very helpful if you are at all considering buying.

This is just my experience, maybe I just happened to move next to all the crazies on the island. You may have better luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM

246 posts, read 650,895 times
We're All Aliens, yes all the crazies live in 2 to 3 story walk ups. Once you move to apartments with elevators, the crazies decrease!

HopeToComeHome, if it becomes hard for your children make friends in apartment complexes, I suggest getting them involved in youth sport activities like little league baseball or pop warner.

Great opportunities to make friends, as the other kids may end up going to the same school as yours. Also great way to make friends with their parents as well. Its about the interaction AFTER the game, when you have potluck. Parents sit around talking stories, while the kids run around the park after the game. Not so much bonding though for soccer and volleyball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu