Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM

82 posts, read 365,461 times

Advertisements

I think ko'olina might be a good fit, it is beautiful, private, quiet, nice townhomes that are reasonable, on the ocean, close to Kapolei amenities. Look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 17,857 times
Default Ko Olina...

I agree that Ko Olina is worth looking into. Rents there will be a little higher than other places in Kapolei in some cases, but there is far less incidence of crime in Ko Olina, due in large part to the initial entrance security gate where license plate numbers are recorded (or at least used to be) and several of the Ko Olina communities are also gated.

Moderator cut: no ads allowed Also, I like to use the Honolulu PD crime mapper tool to see crime statistics based on location. They don't report ALL types of crime with that online tool, but it does show theft, burglary, car theft, car break-ins, etc. HPD Crime Mapping (http://www.honolulupd.org/statistics/crimemapping.htm - broken link)

Good luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-14-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvr-hawaii View Post
I agree that Ko Olina is worth looking into. Rents there will be a little higher than other places in Kapolei in some cases, but there is far less incidence of crime in Ko Olina, due in large part to the initial entrance security gate where license plate numbers are recorded (or at least used to be) and several of the Ko Olina communities are also gated.

Moderator cut: no ads allowed
Also, I like to use the Honolulu PD crime mapper tool to see crime statistics based on location. They don't report ALL types of crime with that online tool, but it does show theft, burglary, car theft, car break-ins, etc. HPD Crime Mapping (http://www.honolulupd.org/statistics/crimemapping.htm - broken link)

Good luck!
Nope...they no longer check license plates. And all the communities in Ko'Olina except the Beach Villa's ban rentals for less than 30 days.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-14-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,753 times
Smile farmington road area...wailia(sp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahu-dreaming View Post
Thanks, everyone.

I'd like to hear even more opinions!
Just to respond with an experience we had, a few years ago, visiting Oahu and
drove out Farmington and all around Oahu, north coast, centreal north and the northeast area.

The area you mentioned has a lot of rundown areas, homes, it appears that it has been
let go, and just doesnt have the services, or attention re infrastructure as other areas.

Als, no doubt that is why it is cheaper. I recall hearing people comment that it
was the area where :the help, for Waikiki area, lived..and thus cheaper.

you can tell the crime rate by just putting in the name of the area on google\
and then pairing it (name of the area+crime rate) and you will get a very detailed
response, with color coding regarding each area. Very well done.

I recall the area we thought was so beautiful and though more expensive\
than the Farmington area, my recollection is you could find something\
you could afford..is the area just over the mountains, only about 25 minutes
from Honolulu proper, though it is near the Navy installation, so that may
drive down prices, and you would have to check out the crime rate.

have you been there? The best way, as you no doubt know, is to drive all around
and get a first hand look. Perhaps you have done that.

Happy Home Searche.

Steven Faraher
US Citizen currently living near Vancouver, B. C....where rains too much.
but we are her...I would move to Hawaii in an instant if my wife would.
But she is a rainforest woman. Though I tell her there is plenty of rain
in hawaii, just warmer...

Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediwat View Post
I would move to Hawaii in an instant if my wife would.
Sounds like she'd like Puna District on the Big Island. Lots of rainforest to go around in Puna.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediwat View Post
Just to respond with an experience we had, a few years ago, visiting Oahu and
drove out Farmington and all around Oahu, north coast, centreal north and the northeast area.

The area you mentioned has a lot of rundown areas, homes, it appears that it has been
let go, and just doesnt have the services, or attention re infrastructure as other areas.

Als, no doubt that is why it is cheaper. I recall hearing people comment that it
was the area where :the help, for Waikiki area, lived..and thus cheaper.

you can tell the crime rate by just putting in the name of the area on google\
and then pairing it (name of the area+crime rate) and you will get a very detailed
response, with color coding regarding each area. Very well done.

I recall the area we thought was so beautiful and though more expensive\
than the Farmington area, my recollection is you could find something\
you could afford..is the area just over the mountains, only about 25 minutes
from Honolulu proper, though it is near the Navy installation, so that may
drive down prices, and you would have to check out the crime rate.

have you been there? The best way, as you no doubt know, is to drive all around
and get a first hand look. Perhaps you have done that.

Happy Home Searche.

Steven Faraher
US Citizen currently living near Vancouver, B. C....where rains too much.
but we are her...I would move to Hawaii in an instant if my wife would.
The street that goes in and out of Waianae is called Farrington (not Farmington). I don't know if most of the hospitality workers ("The Help") live in Waianae, but I'm sure many do. As someone else mentioned crime is primarily thefts and burglaries. We lived in a nice area of Ewa Beach (Ocean Pointe) and it too would have an occasional theft out of the rear-facing/alleyway garages.

The area you mention over the mountains sounds like Kaneohe, which has the Marine Base. It is very nice over there, but may be a little more pricey than other areas on the Western end of Oahu.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
I lived in Waianae for four years. Yes, lots of poverty, some crime but about the same as anywhere else. Only thing I ever had stolen was a garden rake. The people are the best in Waianae. Mostly Hawaiians, but a nice mix of cultures. They have very active service clubs like the Waianae Rotery Club and The Women of Waianae (WOW). Both of these clubs support education and scholarships for students from the "West Side". The presence of the military at the Rest Camp is a big supporter of the community. I would not hesitate to move back to Waianae if I ever have the opportunity.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,538,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oahu-dreaming View Post
Hi,

We're scouting out places on Oahu for our retirement. We know we want suburban living, not the urban jungle on Honolulu. We want affordability and ocean access, two criteria that clash.

One option is Waianae, which seems to be quite affordable. Please tell me what you know about this community, both the good and the bad.

Mahalo!

Rob
Bad.....

traffic, they are going to start widening the lanes and it going to get worse before it gets better. One way in One way out. If there is an emergency its going to be tough. A major accident will cause you time, as traffic is backed up for miles.

Lack of a nice place to eat. they have fast food but no real nice place to eat.

Housing, like any place you got affordable, but along with that comes the issues with dealing wirg rgw people who live there. There are also places that that costs millions.

there are markets and stores for what you may need, but no real shopping. shopping good food and entertainment is 1/2 hour out.... provided no traffic

Good

Beaches!!! off the hook... you can even go Pray For Sex. lol it a beach. the sunsets!!
the life style... casual, the people, provided you got a good place. if you don't have to go out of Waianae allot you good to go. Housing... Hmm they got some old.... homes out there. and depends on the area some bigger lots as compared to Kapolei and waikele and newer delopements in Ewa

Old 12-19-2014, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
Check out Turtle Cove. On Oahu you can get anywhere pretty quickly for recreation if you are mindful of heavy traffic periods.

We fell in love with the Waianae beaches. We like the looks of the Maili Cove Condos. (plus that's "our" beach). I only felt comfortable at Maili beaches on the weekends with tons of family activities there at the park next door. Of course, I don't really feel comfortable anywhere after dark these days.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 21,761 times
Default Retiring in HI

We just got back from 3-islands trip to scout for a potential retirement place in Hawaii.
Despite all of the good (and bad) info here, you've got to go out there and see and experience the area for yourself.
There's always a trade-off between location, nice house and secure area.
I also looked at the Honolulu PD crime report online, and the map shows basically break-in and thief everywhere on the island, not only just Waianae.
So it's pretty much the life style that you want to live when you retire and if you can assimilate to become local.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu