Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

20 posts, read 71,167 times

Advertisements

So we are a military family and are trying to get stationed in HI. As of now we are in WA state. I cannot seem to find any websites that show long term home rentals.

What are safe areas to live?

Where can I find long term rentals?

How hard is it gonna be to get my black lab there?

Any info would be great!!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,675 times
Start now familiarizing yourself with the Department of Agriculture's requirements for bringing your dog so he/she can get "direct release" from the airport and does not have to be quarrantined. The link to the DofAg's page with FAQs and forms is: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

There is a wealth of info posted in this forum on bringing your dog -- the trials and the triumphs -- but it is very important to follow the DofAg's requirements to the letter. There's also a ton of info posted on Oahu neighborhoods. Try the search feature at the top of the page.

I'm on Maui, but there are excellent posters here who can help you find reputable rental help, including companies that specialize in properties that allow pets.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 AM

96 posts, read 323,889 times
Default Help is on the way

Websites for long term rentals? sublet.com is a good one. Also try craigslist under the sublet and rental section rather than the vacation rentals. Everywhere on the island is safe to live. A bigger question for you is going to be preferrence. Due to traffic, you will want to see where you work and live close by, probably. I might suggest that you find a one month rental, and then look around for a long term rental. The one month rentals are listed on vrbo.com and craigslist under vacation rentals.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-05-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: you cannot advertise on this site

Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Thank you!

If we get stationed in HI we will be at the ESU which is close to Pearl City. I will take a look and see what I can come up with. Any more info would be great!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM

806 posts, read 2,346,097 times
As a former USCG member stationed in HI, I HIGHLY recommend renting in MILILANI. It's the nicest neighborhood, and relatively cooler. It had a great shopping center and is centrally located to work, beaches, away from the city and has good schools.
The admin dept can help you with all of this, and pay you a housing supplement.

The pet quarantine process is LONG and frustrating, so get started early. It took me a week to process all of the instructions before I could plan anything!!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 AM

HAH! I just noticed you live in Port Angeles!!!!! FUNNY!!! (me too)

Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
HAH! I just noticed you live in Port Angeles!!!!! FUNNY!!! (me too)

Really that is SO funny!!! Then I am sure you can understand why I really hope we get Hawaii!!! I am freezing my butt off here!!!

Do you have the name of where you rented? I am gonna google and see what I can find in Mililani!!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 PM

I used a lady on the North Shore.. That would be a L-O-N-G commute, I don't recommend it.
I look in craigslist all the time, sometimes you will land on a property management company who will have more listings.
If I see something, I'll let ya know.
We're SO tired of the winters here, and are thinking of going back to HI too! I was going to bring a dog, but last time we brought 3! once you get the rules straight, it's ok. but now, it seems to cost more (in exchange for less time behind bars)
I loved the quarantine, because it gave me time to find a rental!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu