Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM

664 posts, read 1,949,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzero View Post
I don't live in Oahu, I live on Kaua`i, but I am Active Duty. I was here for 6 months before I ever stepped foot on Oahu, and my first thought when I got off the plane in Honolulu was, "Hey, I didn't fly long enough to be in LA!!"

Honolulu is the anti-Hawai`i. I get stressed just getting off the plane. However, to be fair, it's just as bad in San Diego and Norfolk, both of which I have been stationed at.

Compared to Kaua`i, Oahu residents have it MADE!

Oahu gets a large COLA, which isn't really required since you have at least 3 large commissaries which have very cheap food, along with a couple enormous Exchanges. Compare this with Kaua`i: almost identical COLA, no commissary at all, shoppette NEX.

However, Oahu has lots of traffic, lots of stress, many ridiculous rules that are unthinkable on the outer islands (no fires on the beach, no dogs on the beach, no driving on the beach, no alcohol on the beach, etc), militant cops, motorcycle cop-Nazis, etc. I wouldn't live there if you paid me, unless the only alternatives were San Diego/Norfolk. Those places are far worse.

Take it for what it's worth. I would take a small out-of-the-way base in ANY location over any of the Fleet Concentration Areas.
No fires on the beach on the whole Island of Oahu? WOW! That stinks! Also no alcohol...bummer In San Diego there is also no drinking on the beaches but the 2 beaches on base you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,959 times
Default Hawaiiiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
would I live here again? absolutely!!!!

we've been stationed here for 12 years and are unfortunately moving this summer. I am going to miss hawaii like crazy.

Did you have children in school? Particularly highschool? Where'd you live, etc. My girls were born when we lived in Hawaii and I have longed to return!! Now that we have the opportunity, I will have a 10th grader (the other off to college), so Im a little worried about the transition. I know that for me, the culture and lifestyle will more than make up for any deficiencies in school, etc.........but, I need to look out for my daughter at a very important time... Any advice at all?? I really, really, really want us to take the orders....but looking for any input to set my mind at ease or to keep me considering diff options!!!!!
Thanks in advance!
Hope to hear from you-
tasha

Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 PM

201 posts, read 824,098 times
We are heading back too, and my advice is if you have kids, at least consider private school options. We have found a private school where the tuition for our 2 girls (elementary and middle school aged) is within COLA costs, so we are saying bye-bye COLA to ensure the quality of their ed. We can live without it, and we *really* wanted to get back to Hawaii very badly so its worth it for us.

As far as Hono- we love it, we find it quite different from mainland cities, with it's own character. There are plenty of places on Oahu where you can stretch on the sand without a million tourists and cops around you.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM

109 posts, read 410,568 times
Yeppieeee! Have ONE WAY tickets booked for June 23rd. Hickam....here we come.

After much reading on this board, we have decided to let our junior in high school stay in CA. She will be a senior next year and really wanted to grad with her friends. I will miss her very much, but it's the right thing to do for our family.

Still looking for a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu